Honest to a fault?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I've been volunteering at my church's vacation Bible school and have been having a good time working with the pre-K and kindergarten kids there. Earlier this week I was put in a tough spot though. The day's theme was "God will provide" and during a game activity there was an intended shortage of toys to play with. While the game as being played with this in mind, a helper was placing toys in the hallway with the door closed so the kids were unaware. When it came to light that there was a shortage of toys, the game leader suggested we pray for more. After the prayer the door was opened and the kids were amazed at the abundance of (obviously used) toys provided. I saddened by and pretty sure that most kids fell for this hook, line, and sinker, but one of my kids asked me if God really did that.

What would you have said? Would you have lied for Jesus?

My response was "No he didn't, but he can do stuff much cooler than that." That is my honest answer. I truly believe that God can and will provide in His own way in His own time. I have seen it happen. A while ago, my hubby, brother and I gathered up enough computer parts to build a computer for our neighbor who was without one and they were in need of one for school and such. My brother donated the monitor which had speakers attached to it. We were setting it all up when we realized that we did not have a speaker cable with us. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a new looking white audio cable lying on the floor in the corner of the room. It was exactly what we needed. My neighbors were not aware that they owned such a cable and it did not come from my brother or from us. I think I know how it got there.

Miracles do happen folks. God doesn't need us to lie about Him or trick innocents into believing in Him. I plan on discussing this with my church and hope and pray this doesn't happen again
Daghi
Noob
Noob
I replied on Twitter but twitter isn't great for this. I think you did the right thing. Lying would have been worse, especially if one of them found out. Even if they didn't it puts the parents in a tough place then because they'll go home screaming they saw a miracle at church. You were put in an unfair spot. Like I said I don't like that game at all.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Honesty is the best policy. I think you did the right thing. :)
Auri1984
Noob
Noob
I think you were right on about what you said. Lies are bad and honesty is always best. I think the game gave an example of how God can provide for young children. They seem to understand better with visual practical examples and not just telling them. But I think that honesty is the best policy. Don't want to trick anyone for Jesus. Faith is based on truth not lies. Thanks for bringing the topic up. Be interested to know how the church responds.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I agree you did the right thing. That particular exercise was terrible because what it did was to teach the kids that God offers handouts when requested, like asking Santa for Christmas presents. God doesn't work that way. He does answer prayer, but not necessarily in the way we had in mind, and He provides what we need, not simply what we want.

Those kids learned a bad lesson, but your honesty mitigated some of that.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Talked with the director today and she understood where I was coming from and was okay with my stance.
Wolfeman
Noob
Noob
I think it was a very good lesson implemented poorly. God works thru people more often than we realize to answer prayer. God did indeed answer their prayers for more toys, however, he did it thru workers placing them there, not magically making them appear. Explain this to the kids so they can see how God works and you'll build true faith.
SSquared
It's kind of a weird position to be put in. I wouldn't have said it was God. Probably use it as a lesson of what God CAN do. But then you have the potential problem one kid is telling the others it wasn't God which may produce a different issue. For kids that age, it is so easy to use that as a visual lesson rather than essentially lying.