Christian group in California no longer recognized because....

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Sstavix wrote:So, back to the case at hand... another hypothetical example, if a Muslim student group refused to let a Jewish woman lead their student organization, I would think there wouldn't be one word in the media. But for some reason, Christians - especially white Christians - are perfectly acceptable targets to pick on.
Could it possibly be because it ruffles the most feathers (and is therefore the most sensational), this being a majority white Christian country?

Not trying to sound condescending, just wondering why media attention is a metric for this.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:
Sstavix wrote:So, back to the case at hand... another hypothetical example, if a Muslim student group refused to let a Jewish woman lead their student organization, I would think there wouldn't be one word in the media. But for some reason, Christians - especially white Christians - are perfectly acceptable targets to pick on.
Could it possibly be because it ruffles the most feathers (and is therefore the most sensational), this being a majority white Christian country?

Not trying to sound condescending, just wondering why media attention is a metric for this.
Could be. "If it bleeds, it leads." ;)

I found the case. According to this Wikipedia article, in the 2010 case, the Supremes ruled in favor of the university. So there is a precedent for allowing universities to deny student recognition to organizations that have exclusionary clauses in their charters. As a result, it seems that CSU would likely be the victor if the Christian student organization decided to push the case to court.

It still makes me wonder what would happen if this were tested in other student clubs, though. For (yet another) example, if a Democrat insisted on being leader of the Young College Republicans.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Remember, just because someone wants to be the leader doesn't mean they will be the leader.

There's nothing stopping a College Democrat from running for College Republican office (and vice versa) but there is no way they would ever be elected. XD
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Yes yes, American media is terrible. We've covered this in right other threads
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested