Atheist Murders Three Muslims

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Bruce_Campbell wrote: From what I heard that Pullman movie bombed in theaters, and the atheistic elements of the books were watered down, but I haven't read or seen either so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The movie, yes. However, I have read an interview where Pullman essentially said he wanted to do for atheism what C.S. Lewis did for Christianity. Note that I haven't read any of Pullman's books to see if there is any merit to his claims (or how successful he was in this endeavor), but there you have it.
Bruce_Campbell wrote:Now, you could argue that Christians also get mocked and treated unfairly in popular culture, and I would agree with you. The difference is there are also many places where Christianity and faith are presented as positives. Look at TV shows like 7th Heaven, Touched by an Angel, etc. There really isn't an equivalent for open atheism, and most open atheists are presented as jerks or pariahs. Now, some of that comes from us being a pretty small minority, and again, it's not about atheists vs. conservative Christians, it's about not fitting the status quo. I'd say moderate to liberal Christians probably fit the status quo pretty darn comfortably, but then that's through my biased lens.
Actually, I've been thinking about this off and on today, and I think that there may be another place where atheism is presented in a positive, albeit subtle light - Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry was an atheist (even though he was married in a shinto ceremony - not sure how that works...), and I think he had it in mind that, by the time Star Trek rolled around, most of humanity had outgrown such "silly superstitions" of religion, and hardly anyone even thinks about it any more. The few times religion is presented in the series (to the best of my recollection - I'm sure other more diehard Trekkies will be willing to correct me), it's typically something that other aliens do. There are extremely few references to real-world religions in Star Trek, or indeed, many of the shows that try to follow the same example. There are notable exceptions, of course - Babylon 5 and Battlestar: Galactica come to mind - but for the most part, science fiction in general tends to treat religion as a thing of the past, rather than a current lifestyle.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Simply this - the media is biased, and can't be trusted to be truly objective.
I don't think anyone is arguing against you here :P
This really isn't about Christian persecution at all, and it bothers me that someone can read a tragic story like this where there were precisely ZERO Christians involved and find a way to complain about how awful Christians have it in America.
Agreed.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Whoops, looks like I'm out of tears. I don't even pretend to follow a peaceful religion, but at least it's one where human equality matters. Islam is an totalitarian religion that will have no place in the modern world until it hits its Reformation point. If these had been heathens this wouldn't last on the news a single day. Moan all you want, at least Abrahamic religions have some media support.

Muslim lives matter, that's a good joke.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
So, if I understand this properly, the atheist response is:

HaHA you benighted Christians, the West is becoming more enlightened and less dogmatic like never before! Everyday people are leaving religion: every poll says so. Atheism ascendant!

::Atheist murders Muslims::

We're a minority, we don't even have a TV show, stop picking on us!

Message received guys. Message received.

But you do have TV shows. You basically own the sci-fi genre. Star Trek, Doctor Who, Stargate, Babylon 5... every story where the gods are revelaed to be nothing more than powerful aliens.

The Big Bang Theory is probably yours too, but you'll have to confirm or deny that because I refuse to watch it.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Brother, you need to take a step back before you post things, because you are quite unpleasant. And it has very little to do with your religious opinions.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
You may not have noticed but I refrained from saying anything for awhile. But the "Woe is me the poor misunderstood and maligned atheist" finally became too much.

I meant what I said: Out of one side of the mouth atheists want to cheer on the declining spirituality of the West (obvious sings of their coming victory over darkness), but when something comes along to challenge their burgeoning hegemony they sure seem quick to erect a cross to swing from.

It's insufferable.

The fact of the matter is that if it was a Christian or a conservative who murdered three Muslims the President himself would have held a press conference condemning it. This is simply a fact of life that should be exposed.

An atheist does it and there's scant little about it. Pardon me if I find the hypocrisy appalling and express that to my fellow Christians on a Christian forum.

I'll include a trigger warning for atheists next time.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Cool story bro.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Brother, you need to take a step back before you post things, because you are quite unpleasant. And it has very little to do with your religious opinions.
Bruce_Campbell wrote:Anyway, I don't think this is a productive argument, and CS hit the nail on the head. This really isn't about Christian persecution at all, and it bothers me that someone can read a tragic story like this where there were precisely ZERO Christians involved and find a way to complain about how awful Christians have it in America.
I'm curious to know if you know what the word hypocrisy means? You do, right? I'm going to assume you do.

That assumption in hand, when, in your opinion, would be a good time to talk about it? Clearly I'm drawing a parallel between crimes Christians/conservatives are blamed for, and similar crimes where those two groups aren't involved, and the media's reaction to each. It would seem, in your world, there is never a good time to talk about it because in the cases Christians/conservatives aren't involved I'd seemingly always "find a way to complain about how awful Christians have it in America."

So, I have to ask: Do you never want to examine the double standard Christians/conservatives are held to by the media, or just not when atheists are involved?

Take your time and get back to me. I'm in no rush.

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I'm happy to have this conversation. But not with you. Good night. :)
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Selderane, from one brother to another...

Shut up. You are the taint of this website. You can't say whatever crap you want because you're a Christian and some members are atheists. You don't have an automatic high ground, as your attitude indicates you believe; in fact, you're ardently anti-intellectual and your logic is laughable. You bring hostility and ignorance to the forum. You and people like you are the reason I resent association with Christianity. You're hypocritical and arrogant. I reflexively roll my eyes every time I see get a notification that you responded to one of my posts. Entire peaceful discussions have been utterly derailed and brought to a screeching halt because you made a single post.

Take a long moment to think that Orodrist posted one of his shock posts, saying that Muslim lives don't matter, and everyone was able to ignore that in light of how positively annoying yours are? Do you literally get off on your own condescension?

Are you even a serious poster? I'm half convinced that you're just a troll. Furthermore, you contribute nothing to the forum or to the faith as a whole. You may see yourself as a valiant defender of truth, but you literally drive unbelievers away just by opening your mouth. I am saddened for Christianity for the loss it must have endured by you and others like you.

Please, just... reconsider your account, your post strategy--even your life, perhaps. That is all I can recommend. I am trained to deal with physical ailments, not psychological, and as such I can't make any other suggestions as to how to make yourself a less terrible person.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think this thread has run its course.