Something I'd like to get into :P

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Foxotic
Noob
Noob
This would be awesome to have, but i'd really like to get to know everyone pretty well first before I start talking more spiritually :) I will say I am proud to be a Christian! I go to a non-denominational church; How about you guys? Are you catholic? Lutheran? or just "Christian" :P?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I was raised Catholic but renewed my faith at 15 and currently attend a non-denominational church. http://www.clcbc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I was raised largely non-denominational. My parents (and my mother's parents) were adamantly opposed to larger, more structured churches, so they met every Sunday in their house (with the exception of "convention," where a bunch of nondenominationals met in huge tents for a couple of weeks each year). As my sister and I grew older, my parents took us less seldom to the meetings at my grandparents house.

I started bouncing around other philosophies and religions during my high school years, but never really left general Christianity. But it's likely my experiences there that led me to be more respectful and tolerant of alternative faiths (I've sometimes said that if I wasn't a Christian, I'd be a death-worshipper - not in the negative way, but because everything dies, death should be respected, not feared. Death is not your enemy. And I get annoyed when death is depicted as a malevolent force in entertainment media.)

In college I started to attend a Pentecostal church nearby (mostly because a girl I liked went there - I'm sure you've heard this kind of story before...). I found it quite interesting - similar to the other teachings, but there was a strong feeling about the church that I didn't get from my grandparent's house, too - a feeling of warmth and comfort. The feeling of the Holy Spirit. My mother wasn't fond of me attending the church, but I liked it. For some odd reason, though, when I prayed to God about whether or not I should join the church, I was told, quite adamantly, NO. In a gentler voice, God implored me to be wary of churches that put more emphasis on ritual than the meaning behind the ritual. It was an odd message to receive, but it stuck with me.

After meeting the wonderful woman who would become my wife, we pretty much dropped out of the church scene altogether. After a personal crisis that affected both of us deeply we began church-shopping again. Some churches had a similar feeling - and some we practically fled from - but nothing really seemed to fit.

Then, a short time after my second daughter was born, a couple of older people came knocking at the door. Since my wife was breast-feeding our newborn, I answered. They were missionaries with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (a.k.a. the Mormons). After talking with them for about a month, I asked Heavenly Father if I should join this church - and was incredibly surprised when He told me "yes." (My wife had been baptized years ago, but because of other circumstances, she had gone inactive.) That was about five years ago, and I'm still in that church... for now. Who knows where Heavenly Father will lead me next? But I trust in Him - He won't steer me wrong, as long as I listen to the promptings of the Spirit and am willing to follow them!
lilylilac
Noob
Noob
I was raised Catholic. We always went to a Catholic Church, I spent most of my time going to Catholic School, but I switched to public school in middle school because of a problem I was having with the other kids. It never felt strange to me that our walls were covered in large pictures of Jesus, to have Mary statues sitting around, and rosaries hanging from the wall. That was just the house, you know? As I started getting older and people I met started visiting and asking me why we did that, I was shocked to find that everyone's house didn't look like that. It's never really bothered me.
I do love our large bible collection. I think we have almost every translation now. large, small, new, old, used, gifted.
It was hard for us moving here because we had such a connection with our old church. I also miss the times when they didn't lock the church doors and you could go there whenever you wanted.

I know God's blessings will find us no matter where we end up.

God Bless you all,

-Liz.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.
Wildebear
Was raised Calvinist-Lutheran. It's quite an interesting mix of doctrine. As far as I know I haven't changed dominations. However, as Paul said in Galatians, the gospel is the most important...so as long as other Christians believe in the gospel I consider them brothers/sisters in Christ.
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
lilylilac
Noob
Noob
Wilpanzer wrote: However, as Paul said in Galatians, the gospel is the most important...so as long as other Christians believe in the gospel I consider them brothers/sisters in Christ.
Amen!
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Raised catholic. At age fifteen, fell into a crazy, radical denomination and slingshotted back out. Not sure what I believe now.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
ScotchRobbins wrote:Raised catholic. At age fifteen, fell into a crazy, radical denomination and slingshotted back out. Not sure what I believe now.
I hear you brother.

Was raised non-denominational but leaning towards the charismatic side. Now that I'm old enough to choose what I believe, I'm sort of leaning in the opposite direction towards a more practical Christianity focused on social justice. I have a heavy appreciation for liturgy and dislike the large amounts of emotionalism that occurs in many Protestant churches I've attended.
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Raised non-denominational, now I'm part of the Hebraic Roots Movement.

Apparently I'm either in a cult or a heretic. So... you should probably listen closely to everything I say. It's bound to be super interesting!
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Atheist here. More specifically, agnostic atheist. If I were to describe my thoughts on God you'd probably call me an agnostic, but I don't see the two terms as being mutually exclusive. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Pat Robertson and 10 being Bill Maher, I'm probably an 8.

I grew up Baptist/non-denom, spent a good amount of time as a teenager in a charismatic church (Assembly of God..... blargh), kinda went back to non-denom for the first half of my 20's, gave up Christianity and became more or less a deist for my late 20's, and finally started calling myself an atheist a little less than two years ago. It's been one heck of a ride.

Anyway, I generally stay out of discussions that don't involve non-believers somehow. If you're debating whether or not the snake in the Garden of Eden had a voice box or was temporarily possessed by Satan and didn't physically "talk", I probably won't have anything to say about it, but if you're talking about a group of atheists who are trying to get a cross taken down or something I might throw in my two cents.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Asatru. I worship Odin Allfather and the Aesir. Mostly by drinking heavily and resorting to violence quickly.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~