Bible Verses Atheists Love

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.alternet.org/belief/bible-ve ... eists-love" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I found myself really liking that and much of the quoted verses, I'd agree, they are very good.
With all the christian/atheist confrontations, it's easy to lose sight on what's being fought over and what isn't. We have very strong convictions against religion, but it's not to say we think everything in religion is bad. We criticize beliefs in infallibility and various parts of the Bible, but it's not all bad. I agree with much of the author's statements about the Bible and Christianity.
I think this olive branch helps humanize both sides for both sides. Sometimes Christians need to be reminded it's not a crusade against them, and sometimes Atheists need to be reminded it's not a crusade against Christians.

Like many of the people, Ecclesiastes is a favorite of mine and I really like how the core of morality is laid out in "Love your Neighbor as yourself." It's profound in it's brevity, emphasizing empathy with others and a communal perspective. Corinthians 13 is a beautiful exposition on love. Proverbs has some great nuggets. Pride goes before a fall? Totes true, brah.

My favorite verse is still Isaiah 40:31:
"But those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
"

Sure, I don't place value in hoping in the Lord, but hope? I still understand that.
The imagery evokes something real with me, back from a time when I was broken and tired.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim