New Mexico will be the fifth state to allow assisted suicide

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/new-rulin ... ients-die/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
I find this wrong,

The fact that they would say it's okay for a person to assist someone in killing themselves is pretty much saying they're fine if people kill themselves. It's terribly unfortunate that they're making this legal, it's opening up the doorway to more suicides, people will think it is the easier way out because it will be fine if others help them.

It's just sad. :(
This is my signature
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Nothing sad about it. Some people just aren't meant to live, just the natural order balancing itself.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I remember reading that the only people who opposed medically sanctioned assisted suicides are those who haven't had to watch a terminally ill loved one suffer before they die.
I truly hope that you and yours never had to or will ever have to experience something like that, but the importance of such a thing can become incredibly apparent to those in the situation where this is a favorable option.

Suicide is incredibly final and those considering it as an escape from a painful sick from a terminal illness are probably in the most dire needs and to take their only option apart from spending the rest of their days in incredible and increasing pain.
Ultimately, it's their life and who are we tell them otherwise?

And making suicides legal won't encourage suicides; in fact, as far as I can tell it'd only encourage unsuccessful attempts. A person who commits suicide will never suffer the consequences of the law, and the law will only ever be able to prosecute those who have tried by backed out. I don't know of anybody who is charged for attempted suicide, but the thought that the law would actively encourage people to go with their suicides is horrific.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
cjv
I think Arch is right.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote: Ultimately, it's their life and who are we tell them otherwise?
This. As a Libertarian, this is the point of view that makes the most sense to me.

Spiritually, I'm not so sure. God can perform miracles as can prayer, but that's *my* belief. I can't, in good conscience, insist that someone else suffer in order to maintain my comfort zone.

I don't know if I could participate in such a thing, but I hope I never have to respond to a request to do so.

Mind you, I see this as very different from "pulling the plug" on someone who is brain dead, or otherwise in an unrecoverable coma. If it were me, I'd WANT the plug pulled and my spirit released. But that's a separate issue.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Oh yeah, #3.

And yes, it's no small task and I hope I never have be part of it, on either end.

And if I was braindead, I'd want the plug pulled, too. I'm already dead and gone; I don't want to prolong my loved one's hardships longer.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Esssence
Noob
Noob
RedPlums wrote:I find this wrong,

The fact that they would say it's okay for a person to assist someone in killing themselves is pretty much saying they're fine if people kill themselves. It's terribly unfortunate that they're making this legal, it's opening up the doorway to more suicides, people will think it is the easier way out because it will be fine if others help them.

I agree whole-heartedly! Sadly, Satan is the one who wins here. The Lord is the one who should decide when we die.. not others. Suicide is always the worst possible choice based on temporary 'facts'. It grieves me to see this too.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Esssence wrote:
RedPlums wrote:I find this wrong,

I agree whole-heartedly! Sadly, Satan is the one who wins here. The Lord is the one who should decide when we die.. not others. Suicide is always the worst possible choice based on temporary 'facts'. It grieves me to see this too.
It's one of those things where you have to consider the alternatives. If a person is convinced that they will commit suicide, there is a fair chance that they are going to at least attempt it, if not succeed. Failed suicide attempts can be traumatizing and, frankly, quite painful (among the most disgusting things I've ever seen was a picture of an individual who failed a shotgun suicide - it looked incredibly painful and dealing with it wouldn't have been cheap). If another individual is involved, not only is the probability of a failed attempt lower, but there's also a slight chance that they may change their mind in that moment. Anybody who is willing to assist you in killing yourself humanely is a reason you should keep living. Even if they are a doctor.

I feel the same way about Marijuana use and abortion. Although there are many who don't agree with the practices, the alternatives may be worse. People have been smoking Marijuana and aborting babies for a long time, but often times the abortion was performed outside of a hospital by non-professionals, and often times the Marijuana purchased put more money into the pocket of a drug cartel. It's not about banning the practice as much as keeping others safe.

I don't know whether I approve or disapprove of assisted suicide or abortion or the like, but there are preventative steps to make it less risky, and that is certain.
[Insert witty afterthought here]