Pope Francis's "The Joy of the Gospel".

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ChesterKhan
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
So, maybe you've heard, Pope Francis has written an "apostolic exhortation" called Evangelii Gaudium. And I wondered what you guys thought about it, especially as most of you (I take it) are non-Catholic Christians.

EDIT: I didn't realise it was so very long. I only just began reading, like, the first eight sections of it. There are over 230 sections (containing one or more paragraphs) in this letter. It takes up 100 pages of copy or printing paper, including the index and footnotes. So if you have only skimmed it, that's fine, too.
Last edited by ChesterKhan on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
First of all, I just wanted to welcome you. We've got quite a variety here, but it's been a while since we've had a catholic who posted regularly. While I'd say most of the posters here are protestant Christians, there's a pretty wide scope as far as how "conservative" and "liberal" they are with their Christianity. We've also got some Mormons and even a couple of atheists (including myself). A couple of members grew up Catholic and converted to some other form of Christianity, but are still Catholic friendly. And there are those like myself who have never been Catholic but want to learn more about them. It's nice to have a practicing Catholic to add to the "collection". :)

As for your link, this is probably one of those things I shouldn't comment on, since I've got a fundamentally different view of the gospel than Christians do. I did skim the first two or three pages. If I were still a Protestant, I would probably be a big fan of Pope Francis.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ChesterKhan
Noob
Noob
Hi, Bruce. Thank you for the welcome. And although I'm sure many people much older than me (forumwise, at least) have welcomed you, I welcome you, too.

I'll say now that I do get defencive about my Catholicism (that's probably why, it's not really mine. But I feel like it is). But, please, don't let that stop you from expressing what you know to be true on the subject - or anyone on any subject. If any of you are honourable - and I hope and believe you all are - you only want my happiness, just as you'd want it for any other member of humanity.

I found two lines that seem to be the start of an area I need more exercise in: learning how to dialogue with others:
226. Conflict cannot be ignored or concealed. It has to be faced. But if we remain trapped in conflict, we lose our perspective, our horizons shrink and reality itself begins to fall apart. In the midst of conflict, we lose our sense of the profound unity of reality.

227. When conflict arises, some people simply look at it and go their way as if nothing happened; they wash their hands of it and get on with their lives. Others embrace it in such a way that they become its prisoners; they lose their bearings, project onto institutions their own confusion and dissatisfaction and thus make unity impossible. But there is also a third way, and it is the best way to deal with conflict. It is the willingness to face conflict head on, to resolve it and to make it a link in the chain of a new process. “Blessed are the peacemakers!” (Mt 5:9). ...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
my goodness this is a book! From what I read so far it's pretty spot on with lots of valid points regarding today's culture. He's a pretty good pope but like all of humanity isn't perfect. ;)
ChesterKhan
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:my goodness this is a book! From what I read so far it's pretty spot on with lots of valid points regarding today's culture. He's a pretty good pope but like all of humanity isn't perfect. ;)
Of course not! :lol:

Some of us wish he would stop putting himself out as a target for the Press to "liberalise".
Wildebear
To be honest, I don't really know what to think of it as unlike American Protestants and European Protestants we've(South Africa) almost been completely cut off from the Protestant vs Catholic debate. 90% of people here with European heritage were excommunicated by both Catholic and Protestant churches.

However, as our preachers explicitly point out nowadays Catholicism of today is much different from what it was yesterday.
Over that last few centuries the church in general has made a lot concessions, most of them being politically though. It seems like church ideology is converging as we see Protestant and Catholic alike embracing libertarian church doctrine. Perhaps it's because the church no longer has a leading role in Geo-politics or the Christian community has identified new threats like the spreading of radical Islam, atheism and the decrease of Christian numbers.
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
victorpatrick
Noob
Noob
Evangelii Gaudium, meaning "The Joy of the Gospel," is a document published by Pope Francis in November 2013. It addresses the Church's mission and challenges in the modern world, emphasizing the importance of evangelization and the role of the Church in promoting social justice. Rainbow Friends: Chapter 2