Re-watched the movie, Contact, and was pleasantly surprised

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
I re-watched the movie, Contact, last night and was taken aback by how much it made of the science and religion debate. I did not remember it being this way! The movie was based on a novel by Carl Sagan. I enjoyed the way the debate is depicted especially all of the confounding tensions between the inner experience and the external reality. At the end (no spoilers) the main character as an atheist scientist (Jody Foster) who was intellectually honest and a God-believing writer (Matthew McConaughey) were each other's greatest advocates. Sagan was an atheist and could have made it more of an "us vs them" tribalism but to make it complex by exposing tensions on both sides and drawing them together by human experience. . . it was beautiful.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
You should read the book. In the book, the aliens reveal that they have discovered a pattern in pi (after a few million digits) that conclusively prove the universe is a product of intelligent design. Sagan may have been an atheist, but in his novel, God created the universe.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
Wow, fascinating. Maybe he wasn't an atheist and was agnostic. That seems more likely now that I read his quotes. Even as an agnostic, if the content of the movie is a good representation of the book, I give him credit for doing a good amount of justice to the topic.