6 worst things about American Christianity

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.redletterchristians.org/the- ... istianity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Hm! A good read, and I found myself agreeing with many of his points. It's certainly something to think about - not just in regards to Christianity in America, but in how we conduct ourselves.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
It's a step up from killing people. If consumerism is one of your top problems, maybe it's not so bad.

But that's not quite the list I'd make for the 6 worst things about Americna Christianity. Social control and dismissal of evidence would go pretty high on it.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
delve
ArchAngel wrote:But that's not quite the list I'd make for the 6 worst things about Americna Christianity. Social control and dismissal of evidence would go pretty high on it.
I'd say that falls under the lust for power category he mentioned.

Overall a good summary. There are a couple of points I could nitpick but I agree with most of it.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Fair enough.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
Pretty good article. I think the social control thing is improving. And, maybe by it's own accord. Commentators are generally saying the right wing vote is losing its power as America diversifies. For the dismissal of evidence, I'll take this to be anti-intellectualism that can be displayed by religious circles. Rejecting evidence for an old universe and evolution, for example. And, being dogmatic about belief. I feel like these problems are only getting better. I do sympathize with some people who are emotionally unprepared to challenge their belief by studying evolution and the meaning of Genesis, but hopefully within a few generations education can overcome the engendered fear.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Well put.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

delve
Education has had at least one generation to do so. I suspect the process has been very heavily slowed by the home-schooling movement. Which isn't itself a bad thing but it often seems to be something that people do just so they can indoctrinate their children without fear of contending with contrary evidence.
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
I think you're absolutely right on that one delve. Fortunately, even this is improving: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
That would be an interesting topic for discussion, especially as many, including myself, grew up homeschooled.

Even as a child, however, I knew when the science textbooks had almost a quarter completely devoted to trying to debunk evolution, something was up. They didn't teach us a theory, just tried to subvert one I barely heard of. But then, I had a passion for space and dinosaurs, and both told me that the YEC timeframe was incontrovertibly wrong. Even still, it did take a while before I could get past all the false information in those textbooks (2 college classes, in specific).
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

delve
Kids are always cleverer than their parents, aren't they?

I aught to know being on both sides of that equation >.>
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
I was homeschooled and I turned into a complete Pagan, sooo....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I always thought (while growing up homeschooled) that evolution was a crock. Now, having taken college courses, I can understand that it isn't some satanic scheme cooked up by evil scientists who want to destroy Christianity.

Now I just wish that Christians spent more time learning about and spending time in the wonder of the universe and how it works than how to make poorly thought-out arguments against science. Seriously, in my [limited] experience, I've known way more atheists/agnostics who are appreciative of the fact that the universe and the world around us is something to be admired and treasured. Christians--once again, in my experience--spend more time making sure we don't mention anything with evolutionary implications.

Can't we just step back and take it in? Perhaps understand that regardless of the origins of mankind, God crafted for us a marvelous, amazing existence to admire, appreciate, study, observe, capture in art, and respect, and that fact alone should be reason to engage in awestruck worship? Is it that devastating to us that God, operating outside of time, could have masterfully crafted and guided a development of the universe, with the ultimate goal of mankind to love and commune with? It's not any less impressive.

The best lectures I've ever had that have made me sit back in wonder at the awesome wonder of creation have been given by college professors who are at the very least agnostic. Something about that bothers me. We should get excited about this stuff, too.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
delve
Your experience agrees with mine. As do the observations you draw from it.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Beautifully said, my friend.

And I'll back you up as this has been 100% true in my life.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.