Faith?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I seem to be having notable difficulty growing in faith. I truly need it now more than ever - despite having read the Bible, prayed, and genuinely understood more of God than ever before in my life, I struggle to find faith.

Any advice?
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
/srsmode

Read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
start tithing :)
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:I seem to be having notable difficulty growing in faith. I truly need it now more than ever - despite having read the Bible, prayed, and genuinely understood more of God than ever before in my life, I struggle to find faith.

Any advice?
It has been one of my longest-held beliefs that God speaks to every one of us. It's just a matter on understanding how to listen. Perhaps God has already given you the answers you seek and you didn't pick up on them. Faith isn't something that you can force onto yourself. You just need to relax and experience it.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:start tithing :)
I'd like to quickly disagree with this.

For starters, Tithing is only mentioned seldomly, and far less than it is preached on. It's an old testament concept, and one of the few that carried on to the new church? Why? It's profitable.

The new church gave generously, and it's great that they did, but it's not about that 10%. It's about love and giving. Forget tithe. Give as you feel compelled to.

And second, what the Bible says about faith is that it's a gift of God. You can't work your faith up, and you can't earn it. Tithing won't buy you faith (I know that's not what you meant, CCGR, but I'm using it to segue). Don't worry about it, Scotch.

What made me feel better when I was undergoing a similar circumstance, just letting go. It's not up to you, just trust Him with your faith. This is not something you have to worry about.
(christian cap is back on, I know it's a little disingenuous. I apologize).
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I posted this after my post in the tithing thread. To me faith is stepping out of your comfort zone and trusting God. Tithing is one way to do that. For us, I feel like we're truly blessed no doubt. We give back to God and I feel like he has our back job wise and financially. Another quick example I can give is that i stay at home with the kids. I do some side work with websites and PC repair. While a lot of work is a blessing it usually comes when we need it or are about to get hit with a big expense. So sometimes I get a little leary when I'm swamped wondering what's coming. This is just my personal example, nothing more or less. As I mentioned previously its not required but it surely is a way to step up your faith and put trust in God with your wallet.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm getting a "Leave building faith to God" message here. That is what I will do.

And ArchAngel - regardless of how you feel with the cap on, I have to hand it to you: from what you've said, I'd turn to you for advice about a lot of stuff, faith being among them (even if this is the result that neither of us expected or were hoping for).
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
ScotchRobbins wrote:I'm getting a "Leave building faith to God" message here. That is what I will do.
No no no no don't just leave it to God. Yes, God seeks you, but you must also seek God. Now, I don't know what exactly your faith is lacking. Do you doubt God? Jesus? Scripture? Are you having problems with morality or purpose? Faith is very complex because it involves persistence, intellect, humility and perspective. And, I don't think the answer is simply start tithing. We should seek to understand what your faith lacks, so that we can fill it with truth.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Well, for a time, everything felt hopeless and I felt without purpose. I prayed again and again, but it felt as though God was ignoring me (you know how you can sort of feel when someone enters a room? Even if purely psychological, I did feel that when I prayed, but it stopped for a time).
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
Then you are having an existential crisis due to lack of perspective. At least this is my diagnosis. You, ScotchRobbins were endowed with the very image of God to fulfill an important mission on this earth. What that mission is on the most specific level I cannot say because I don't know what your particular responsibilities and opportunities are. And, these things could be big or small at any given moment -- from starting a charitable foundation to picking up a piece of trash. I like to think of it as we are working for God on God's team here. We are "tending the garden" so to speak in reference to Genesis. Now, why why why should this work be important to you? Because this world is important. When we resurrect we will be in the 'new heaven and new earth.' The 'old earth' will 'pass away.' But, the language used is as if the earth and heaven will join, so what we do here matters. It matters much. And, in this new realm we will enjoy the same things as here accept without the suffering and without death! This is the eschatology that I present to you after reading theologian, NT Wright. So, I hope it helps your perceptive.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Perhaps instead of just saying "start tithing", I should have said let God be in more control of aspects in your life and see what happens, in other words, make sure he's in the drivers seat and not just a passenger.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ccgr wrote:Perhaps instead of just saying "start tithing", I should have said let God be in more control of aspects in your life and see what happens, in other words, make sure he's in the drivers seat and not just a passenger.
That would help. I do remember your signature being "Is God your steering wheel or your spare tire?" at one point.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
It does also remind me of the book of James when it says "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."

ScotchRobbins wrote: Well, for a time, everything felt hopeless and I felt without purpose. I prayed again and again, but it felt as though God was ignoring me.
Yeah, I know how that is. :|
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.