Conviction Preaching

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I discovered the preacher Paul Washing last night. As much as it terrifies me to say it, it would not be hard for me to believe what he's preaching.

Any thoughts? I've been mulling this over in my head all day. I didn't get an answer or explanation, but I did find some of my life's strongest repentance, deepest fear, and discovered that my intestines had in fact tied themselves into Gordion's Knot from the nerves I've had today.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Did a quick google search. Paul Washer?

What in specific are you referring to, though?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
ScotchRobbins wrote: Gordion's Knot from the nerves I've had today.
First: Gordian Knot, after the town of Gordium.

Otherwise...if someone's preaching at me I'm generally ignoring them. I don't doubt this style of preaching is effective but it's generally useless if you don't have a soul...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArchAngel wrote:Did a quick google search. Paul Washer?

What in specific are you referring to, though?
Yes, I do mean Paul Washer.

I've listened to only a few of his preachings, but most of them seem to beat to the same drum - I'm picking up the message that most stuff taught in churches today is incorrect, countless thousands are going to Hell, and odds are I'm among them.

I'M TERRIFIED.

Albeit, you're probably not the first person concerned about this, but some radical changes to myself have climbed quite a ways up the priority list.
Orodrist wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote: Gordion's Knot from the nerves I've had today.
First: Gordian Knot, after the town of Gordium.

Otherwise...if someone's preaching at me I'm generally ignoring them. I don't doubt this style of preaching is effective but it's generally useless if you don't have a soul...
What is your stance on religion, Orodist? I legitimately can't tell...
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:I've listened to only a few of his preachings, but most of them seem to beat to the same drum - I'm picking up the message that most stuff taught in churches today is incorrect, countless thousands are going to Hell, and odds are I'm among them.

I'M TERRIFIED.

Albeit, you're probably not the first person concerned about this, but some radical changes to myself have climbed quite a ways up the priority list.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put on my christian cap, but I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Is most of the stuff taught in churches today incorrect to one degree or another? Yes. Nobody gets everything right. Is that going to send you to hell? No. The heaven/hell game isn't based on "how close you can get to true theology." Or even "radical changes" that need to take place. If you remember, you are not saved by works. It's by faith. Faith isn't something you're supposed to do yourself, it's given from God.

So this Paul Washer can stuff it. This is just fear mongering. Don't fall prey to it. Why should this man make you doubt whether you are saved by Jesus or not? That's your faith, and not his. You shouldn't feel afraid for your soul just because this prick want's to throw God's name around like that. You already know.

I haven't heard a word from him, but if he's teaching Christians to be afraid that they aren't saved, he can-- well, you know what he can go and do.
This is disgusting.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:
Orodrist wrote: Otherwise...if someone's preaching at me I'm generally ignoring them. I don't doubt this style of preaching is effective but it's generally useless if you don't have a soul...
Contrary to what might be assumed, just because someone believes rather absolutely in Christianity, and the concept of hell doesn't mean they're going to follow it.

I'm damned to hell. I know I am and that's just the way it is. The ultimate masochism.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Orodrist wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote:
Orodrist wrote: Otherwise...if someone's preaching at me I'm generally ignoring them. I don't doubt this style of preaching is effective but it's generally useless if you don't have a soul...
Contrary to what might be assumed, just because someone believes rather absolutely in Christianity, and the concept of hell doesn't mean they're going to follow it.

I'm damned to hell. I know I am and that's just the way it is. The ultimate masochism.
:shock:

Now of this I am certain: there is no way I could attribute my inability to understand this to mere youth or inexperience. I can't understand how you can casually get by knowing that, but I suppose I am not one to judge, and there's very little I could say to change that.

Do you at least know why you're going?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote:I've listened to only a few of his preachings, but most of them seem to beat to the same drum - I'm picking up the message that most stuff taught in churches today is incorrect, countless thousands are going to Hell, and odds are I'm among them.

I'M TERRIFIED.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put on my christian cap, but I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Is most of the stuff taught in churches today incorrect to one degree or another? Yes. Nobody gets everything right. Is that going to send you to hell? No. The heaven/hell game isn't based on "how close you can get to true theology." Or even "radical changes" that need to take place. If you remember, you are not saved by works. It's by faith. Faith isn't something you're supposed to do yourself, it's given from God.

So this Paul Washer can stuff it. This is just fear mongering. Don't fall prey to it. Why should this man make you doubt whether you are saved by Jesus or not? That's your faith, and not his. You shouldn't feel afraid for your soul just because this prick want's to throw God's name around like that. You already know.

I haven't heard a word from him, but if he's teaching Christians to be afraid that they aren't saved, he can-- well, you know what he can go and do.
This is disgusting.
This. This this this. This this. This.

...this?

...this.

Carry on :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Orodrist
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:
:shock:

Now of this I am certain: there is no way I could attribute my inability to understand this to mere youth or inexperience. I can't understand how you can casually get by knowing that, but I suppose I am not one to judge, and there's very little I could say to change that.

Do you at least know why you're going?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Samuel Johnson

I'm going because I don't seek redemption. There is no redemption for animals.

I consider my sin to be the gravest, I've disowned my nature, the innate divinity in the human soul.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm going to derail this, I just know it. But, are you serious?

And if you are, are you just making this up as you go?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
Oh yeah, I'm serious. I've thought this way for a while, I just generally don't explain myself.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Alright.
Then why?

You don't have to explain yourself to me, God knows you don't owe me anything. But you have an interesting, if not, more or less unique viewpoint.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I, in contrast, can't fathom why you're thinking this way.

You're fully aware that you're walking headfirst into eternal and nonceasing pain and loneliness beyond your wildest imagination? And you can still fall asleep at night without fear of death? The only scenario I can think of for someone thinking like this was if somebody sold their soul. Although that does seem an Orodist thing to do, I honestly don't think he would do it.

I still can't fathom it. And now it's going to start slowly tearing me apart.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Because it's anarchism at its most basic. It's not only being free of a government; that's not enough. It's being free of my humanity. It's refusing to bow to my superego.

At the end of the day, I'd rather be a proud monster in hell than a conquered king in heaven.
ScotchRobbins wrote:I, in contrast, can't fathom why you're thinking this way.

You're fully aware that you're walking headfirst into eternal and nonceasing pain and loneliness beyond your wildest imagination? And you can still fall asleep at night without fear of death? The only scenario I can think of for someone thinking like this was if somebody sold their soul. Although that does seem an Orodist thing to do, I honestly don't think he would do it.

I still can't fathom it. And now it's going to start slowly tearing me apart.
Why should I fear something I've always considered my greatest ally?

Or pain at all? Like Gaius Mucius casting his hand into the fire.

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Wait, but what about this?
Sorry, I don't mean to bring back any bad memories, ...I am just concerned.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.