Spam 2...the next thousand pages....

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
I still haven't seen Desolation of Smaug yet and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it.

I did not really care for the first Hobbit movie by the way..
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
TripExistence wrote:I still haven't seen Desolation of Smaug yet and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it.

Well if you're worried about sticking to the story, then don't go see it. They really messed it up in that way. The movie's action was great though.
Spoiler:

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
JOJ650s wrote:(Whew, I finally got to vent.)
Oh yeah, I forgot something. XD
I also didn't like how the director changed how the keyhole to the secret door was revealed.
It's suppose to be the last light of the sun, not the light of the moon. >_>
That change was completely unnecessary, and it was as if the director was like. "see what I did there Tolkien. :P"
If the director wanted cinematic-ness he could have the light of the sunset shine through a hole in a dwarven structure so it would hit the keyhole like a beam of light or something.
Though I suppose the director was going for drama,
and thus we got see the dwarfs completely give up the whole quest in a minute or two...

TripExistence wrote:I still haven't seen Desolation of Smaug yet and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it.

Yeah, I understand.
It's definitely not what it could have been,
but it's actually up in my top 5 movies of 2013 list.

I mean compared to a lot of movies in 2013, it's quite clean moral wise. (it's pretty much just violence.)
Also some movies that mess up like this one tend to be better the second time you watch it. (some movies.)
(Like when I watched the first movie again, it was more enjoyable since I knew what to expect.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.

Redbox it, and treat it like a really high budget D&D movie.

They wrecked the character of the Dwarves, and Bilbo.
Spoiler:
That was one of my main gripes; they made the ring have control over Bilbo almost from minute one. Turned him into a bloodthirsty gollum, which didn't happen until Bilbo had possessed the Ring for fifty years. It was just a plain, magical bauble in the first book, no hint of anything ill attached to it.
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
^I think that's probably what's going to happen with me. Not that there's a redbox around here anyway...

It's been a really long time since I've read the book, so I think I'd be okay with a few changes. That being said, some of the stuff I've been reading about Beorn (who is my favorite character) has been getting on my nerves.

My biggest problem with the original Hobbit movie is that I get that it's not supposed to be Lord of the Rings, it's supposed to be a lighthearted adventure romp. The issue with that is Peter Jackson had to balance some major tonal issues with trying to make it as epic as the former movies but still keep it "fun," and for me, the epic things aren't all that interesting, and the lighthearted things just look silly and digitized. Did we really need that entire ridiculous sequence with the Goblin King? I love being back in Middle Earth, but that's about as far as it goes for me.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Chozon1 wrote:
Spoiler:
That was one of my main gripes; they made the ring have control over Bilbo almost from minute one. Turned him into a bloodthirsty gollum, which didn't happen until Bilbo had possessed the Ring for fifty years. It was just a plain, magical bauble in the first book, no hint of anything ill attached to it.
Yeah, I also do feel like they ruined Bilbo's character development with the spiders.
I mean, Bilbo getting wrapped up and captured by the spiders,
and then was somehow able to pull it out to kill a spider and cut himself loose. (How did he even move his arms!)
Then after being freed, the dwarves start taking out all the spiders, and Biblo...
is having trouble with a single small spider? After having taken out a few normal sized ones?

That leaves out the whole part of him being all alone in a dark forest,
(I mean he was in the movie, but not really long enough for the fact that he is alone to sink in.)
were he finally gains the courage to face his fears, fights for the first time and wins, and without help to boot. He then names his sword Sting, fights a lot of spiders and saves the dwarves. And as I think I recall the book's narration says, "the spiders then became mortally afraid of the sword named Sting."
It's pretty much when Bilbo is no longer the bumbling hobbit that he was in the earlier part of the journey.

TripExistence wrote:My biggest problem with the original Hobbit movie is that I get that it's not supposed to be Lord of the Rings, it's supposed to be a lighthearted adventure romp.
Yeah, I completely know what you mean.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Yep. Bilbo, instead of becoming a forced take alone by Gandalf, becomes the Dwarves spine in the book. In this, he's just another hero among the pantheon.

Honestly, if you read the book, the dwarves are, well...whiny, entitlest cowards most of the way through. They're poked fun at, since they're the legendary adventurers, but Bilbo, the lowly Hobbit, is constantly saving them. Only at the end, when their greed overtakes them, do they stand up and begin to fight.

As much as I love seeing Dwarven heroes, this is sort of ridiculous. XD
Emwok
CCGR addict
My 1701st post! :D
Spoiler:

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Yayz!
Oh, I'm loving your avatar by the way. :mrgreen:

Emwok
CCGR addict
Lol thanks. The day I saw this I also found out that tacocat is a palindrome because of the gif:

Spoiler:

jester747
Forum Moderator
A traffic cop being hit:

"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
Emwok
CCGR addict
Lol that's a huge dog.
Spoiler:

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was like "What type of sick idiot put that on the internet".

Then I was like "...dang. XD"

Gotta be Wisconsin. That's the only place Cows are allowed on the freeway.
jester747
Forum Moderator
Chozon1 wrote:I was like "What type of sick idiot put that on the internet".

Then I was like "...dang. XD"
This was my exact reaction when I first saw it. I couldn't stop laughing. I love it when you think the worst of something and then it proves you wrong.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
GoHabsGoQC
Noob
Noob
Emwok wrote:My 1701st post! :D
My 26th. :o