Work life, as told by Chozon

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The drive: Let your light shine

There are a slew of hiccups with driving. It's a complicated thing. Especially at night. Like, for example, the fact that people have started gluing halogen floodlights on the front of their car, and then somehow misplacing the dimmer switch. I'm not sure I understand the logic here. Lights make driving at night safe and possible, sure. But let's think about this. You're heading towards someone at 45+ miles an hour. That someone is controlling a 2 thousand pound piece of steel at the same speed, and you will be passing within three feet of each other. And your first instinct is to blind this person with laser-bright lights?

For safety?

Dim the lights. Or dim your life. That's the phrase I want on a t-shirt. Not "turn around don't drown". Or "buckle up. It's the law". Which doesn't even rhyme.

There's also these nifty white or yellow pieces of metal on the side of the road. If you pay attention to them, you'll notice the numbers on this match numbers on your speedometer (that dial or LCD panel behind your steering wheel). The goal of this mysterious game, is to make the numbers on the sign match the numbers on the dial. Not exceed them, but match them. Like Flappy bird. You have to go between the pipes. Not above or below them. Just because my little diesel happens to be very good at this game is no excuse to roar up behind me, stadium lights blazing (at least until you get so close I can't see them), and park your front wheels on my bumper.

I guess it saves gas. But you could at least cut your lights off. You're so close, you don't need them anyway. We can both share mine.

The Workplace: How I learned to be exasperated in silence.

Now, I'm new to this whole "job" thing. So maybe I don't understand it. But when it's called "work", I feel like there should be some of this "work" stuff involved. But maybe I should have changed my expectations when, after I inquired of what I should be doing, my trainer replied "what ever you want man".

This is the same guy who has given me such pearls of wisdom as "Well. Technically we're supposed to be binning those pallets. But I don't feel like it".

"We're not done for the night. I just don't want to work anymore"

Doesn't help when my coworkers are listing to music videos as they stroll around and bin. I'm walking (or limping, as it were; turns out concrete does not agree with knees on a 300 pound frame). Which lead to last night, when I was walking around looking for something to do in the food section (AKA: The frost cave), only to arrive back at the GM section and find three pallets of junk and no one binning it. *_* At 6:15. 45 minutes before quittin' time.

Assorted complaints: How we can work together to make the world a better place. Or at least less painful.

If you see someone lifting a heavy box, maybe tell them before they've carried it around for five minutes that it doesn't need to be shelved. Though truly, it does help them learn to not to pick up totally non-descript boxes. That look like every other box in the entire warehouse. And were sitting on a pallet with other boxes that did need to get put up.

If you sprinkle when you tinkle, for the love of donuts man give the floor a swipe with some toilet paper. It's incredibly nasty to walk into the bathroom and see a puddle in front of the toilet. For my sake, for maintenance' sake, for the sake of everyone forced to use public toilets. It's 3AM. If you're at Wal-Mart at 3AM, you can spare 30 seconds to clean up the floor.

When falling off of a ladder, remember that aluminum carts are there to break your fall. Or your ribs. Or your rumpus. Your tender, pain-filled rumpus. And that somehow, no matter the distance, they love you; they will always be there for you, when you need them.

Day side vs. Night side: It's a real battle. And it's serious. Daysiders, from what I can tell, are the beautiful people, and walk around being beatiful. Well, that's unkind. But when you leave a job half finished due to time constraints (because heaven forbid you work 15 minutes extra), and that same job is waiting for you untouched the next day...there's a problem.

TO be continued.
Jorgmeisterwork
Chozon1 wrote:The drive: Let your light shine

There are a slew of hiccups with driving. It's a complicated thing. Especially at night. Like, for example, the fact that people have started gluing halogen floodlights on the front of their car, and then somehow misplacing the dimmer switch. I'm not sure I understand the logic here. Lights make driving at night safe and possible, sure. But let's think about this. You're heading towards someone at 45+ miles an hour. That someone is controlling a 2 thousand pound piece of steel at the same speed, and you will be passing within three feet of each other. And your first instinct is to blind this person with laser-bright lights?

For safety?

Dim the lights. Or dim your life. That's the phrase I want on a t-shirt. Not "turn around don't drown". Or "buckle up. It's the law". Which doesn't even rhyme.

There's also these nifty white or yellow pieces of metal on the side of the road. If you pay attention to them, you'll notice the numbers on this match numbers on your speedometer (that dial or LCD panel behind your steering wheel). The goal of this mysterious game, is to make the numbers on the sign match the numbers on the dial. Not exceed them, but match them. Like Flappy bird. You have to go between the pipes. Not above or below them. Just because my little diesel happens to be very good at this game is no excuse to roar up behind me, stadium lights blazing (at least until you get so close I can't see them), and park your front wheels on my bumper.

I guess it saves gas. But you could at least cut your lights off. You're so close, you don't need them anyway. We can both share mine.
This is great, put it in a newspaper or car magazine :D
Jorgmeisterwork
Chozon1 wrote:
The Workplace: How I learned to be exasperated in silence.

Now, I'm new to this whole "job" thing. So maybe I don't understand it. But when it's called "work", I feel like there should be some of this "work" stuff involved. But maybe I should have changed my expectations when, after I inquired of what I should be doing, my trainer replied "what ever you want man".

This is the same guy who has given me such pearls of wisdom as "Well. Technically we're supposed to be binning those pallets. But I don't feel like it".

"We're not done for the night. I just don't want to work anymore"

Doesn't help when my coworkers are listing to music videos as they stroll around and bin. I'm walking (or limping, as it were; turns out concrete does not agree with knees on a 300 pound frame). Which lead to last night, when I was walking around looking for something to do in the food section (AKA: The frost cave), only to arrive back at the GM section and find three pallets of junk and no one binning it. *_* At 6:15. 45 minutes before quittin' time.

Assorted complaints: How we can work together to make the world a better place. Or at least less painful.

If you see someone lifting a heavy box, maybe tell them before they've carried it around for five minutes that it doesn't need to be shelved. Though truly, it does help them learn to not to pick up totally non-descript boxes. That look like every other box in the entire warehouse. And were sitting on a pallet with other boxes that did need to get put up.

If you sprinkle when you tinkle, for the love of donuts man give the floor a swipe with some toilet paper. It's incredibly nasty to walk into the bathroom and see a puddle in front of the toilet. For my sake, for maintenance' sake, for the sake of everyone forced to use public toilets. It's 3AM. If you're at Wal-Mart at 3AM, you can spare 30 seconds to clean up the floor.

When falling off of a ladder, remember that aluminum carts are there to break your fall. Or your ribs. Or your rumpus. Your tender, pain-filled rumpus. And that somehow, no matter the distance, they love you; they will always be there for you, when you need them.

Day side vs. Night side: It's a real battle. And it's serious. Daysiders, from what I can tell, are the beautiful people, and walk around being beatiful. Well, that's unkind. But when you leave a job half finished due to time constraints (because heaven forbid you work 15 minutes extra), and that same job is waiting for you untouched the next day...there's a problem.

TO be continued.

Hahaha great. It reminds me of a short story at school many years ago, where a mechanician lost his job for being too eager to work.
Feel free to switch the "W" and "M" at the malls logo in front of the store. Blame it on the norwegian guy they cant get me anyway lol im 5000 km away. :)
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I worked as a "Daysider". Let me tell you, interacting with customers all day drains you. You really get eager for quitting time. XD

That said, Have worked at Walmart, can confirm: Most of this happened at my Walmart.
Jorgmeisterwork
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I worked as a "Daysider". Let me tell you, interacting with customers all day drains you. You really get eager for quitting time. XD

That said, Have worked at Walmart, can confirm: Most of this happened at my Walmart.
Malwart ;)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
If the letters were not the size of a small car, I might just do that...it'd be hilarious. XD

But you know, I said that thing about daysiders as a joke...until I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon, and actually looked at the employees. And interacted with them.

I was totally, 100% correct. O_o The only requirement for daysiderism is that you be attractive. You don't even have to be good at your job. I handed over my TV to be put in layaway, and the girl behind the counter promptly slammed it down while searching for the UPC.

I was like:

"...daysiders..."
Jorgmeisterwork
Over here, almost no shops are open at night (yet). Gas stations are though.
Jorgmeisterwork
Chozon1 wrote: I was totally, 100% correct. O_o The only requirement for daysiderism is that you be attractive. You don't even have to be good at your job. I handed over my TV to be put in layaway, and the girl behind the counter promptly slammed it down while searching for the UPC. "
Sounds more like tossaway ;)