THE DREAM IS BECOME A REALITY

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
ChickenSoup wrote: Shamrock Shakes... oh lawd
That delightful taste of Milk of Magnesia with a vague mint aftertaste... It must have crack in it, 'cause I love it too...
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
baconisgood23 wrote:The fact that they made Fish McBites only proves that they're running out of ideas. Kind of like Apple and the iPad Mini.
I have returned to inform you that I could not have been more wrong about Fish McBites. They are amazing! Chozon was right! (However, I still think the Mac Mini is stupid.)

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
TESTIFY MINE BROTHER.

FOR THOUST HAST SPOKENST MANY TRUTHS.

-ST
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
baconisgood23 wrote:(However, I still think the Mac Mini is stupid.)
Mac Mini = not near as stupid as iPad mini. :P
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
Deepfreeze32 wrote:
baconisgood23 wrote:(However, I still think the Mac Mini is stupid.)
Mac Mini = not near as stupid as iPad mini. :P
'Scuse me. That's actually what I meant to say. :)

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I think we should agree that Macs in general are bad ideas.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
I dunno, man, I'm running a pretty good Mac and dual-booting Windows on it. I don't have viruses. I don't have malware. And I'm able to play modern games. So what's the problem again? Oh, that's right, your bias. :roll:
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I think the main reason a lot of people hate Macs is because of how overpriced they are for the hardware that's in them. Not to mention they're hard to upgrade, so unless you know what you're doing, you'll have to buy a new Mac from scratch in the next few years.

Whereas building a PC is easy and much cheaper, you can (if you'd like to) install OS X on it, and hardware upgrades are super simple. Just install the new hardware and drivers and you're good to go. Virus's can be easy to avoid. I'd go without a virus scanner for months without even getting hit. Not sure why it's a problem for a lot of people.

To sum it all up, I think people would rather pay less and have more freedom to upgrade and play around with their system, instead of spending a lot for a closed system that may become obsolete in the next few years.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Krytae wrote: Not sure why it's a problem for a lot of people.
Because a lot of people are completely clueless when it comes to computers. I have a coworker who received a message from a bank (not unusual - we do a lot of business with lending institutions) that said it was a secure, private message. It had an attachment and the e-mail told her that the attachment contained paperwork for a transaction. We didn't appear to have the transaction the e-mail mentioned, but she tried to open the attachment anyway. Yes, the attachment was an .exe file. And she tried to open it twice. To make things more blatantly ridiculous, this "secure, private" e-mail that was sent to us related (supposedly) to one of our files also had a few dozen other recipients as well.

Yes, I had to spend an hour or two scrubbing that computer and looking for other traces of viruses that she installed on there....

... and yes, I'm a Mac user. :P I've tried Windows and used a Windows XP machine for many years. (I still own it, but it's upstairs in one of the spare rooms. I've been thinking of bringing it downstairs... so I could install and try Unix on it.) But Macs are just so much easier to work with.... I am looking to replace my MacBook Pro laptop, but it's served me well for the past six or seven years. We bought a Mac Pro tower at the same time, and it's still got plenty of room to expand (I'm planning on adding a second hard drive later this year, finances permitting, and it's cooking along nicely with 6 gigs of RAM, with four more expansion slots for more memory, if we think we need it). In my experience, adding more RAM or additional drives is no more different or difficult from upgrading a Windows machine (and I've done both), the only challenge is finding compatible parts.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Understood. I know that Macs are known to be easy to use and very reliable when it comes to security. They're perfect for people who want to use a computer, but don't know the basics.
adding more RAM or additional drives is no more different or difficult from upgrading a Windows machine (and I've done both), the only challenge is finding compatible parts.
That extra challenge for finding compatible parts is what makes it more difficult. Not to mention, there are Macs that don't even use a tower because the hardware is built into the monitor. I have one of those because a friend gave it to me. I hate it with a passion. lol.

I was also talking about, say, getting a new motherboard, GPU, CPU, etc.

I see what you're saying, I just wanted to give my point of view and why I think a lot of people dislike them. The simplicity of a Mac is what drives people towards it, but I'd rather not get into a closed system that costs more than $2000.

I've spent around $1100 dollars on my system (over the years) and I can run most games on high settings very easily. There is also a way to install OS X onto your system (although I think you have to be a pirate, I'm not too sure on all the details) which will make it no different from a typical Mac.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think we need a Mac vs PC debate thread
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Krytae wrote:Not to mention, there are Macs that don't even use a tower because the hardware is built into the monitor. I have one of those because a friend gave it to me. I hate it with a passion. lol.
Ah yes, the iMacs. I'll easily give you that one. Those are notoriously difficult to upgrade, even from the very start of the machine's conception. Unless you're looking to install more RAM, pretty much any other upgrade will end up violating your warranty in some way, shape or form. Mac laptops fall into the same category - but then again, laptops are generally not known for upgrade capabilities anyway, regardless of the model or manufacturer. Not unless you're a techie who really knows what you're doing.
Krytae wrote:I've spent around $1100 dollars on my system (over the years) and I can run most games on high settings very easily. There is also a way to install OS X onto your system (although I think you have to be a pirate, I'm not too sure on all the details) which will make it no different from a typical Mac.
I've heard of ways to get the Mac OS to run on other hardware as well. I've also heard that sometimes the Mac OS is specifically keyed to certain aspects of specific hardware, so inexplicable crashes on non-Apple hardware can be expected. So I'll give you that point, too. :) If you're not using Apple tech, don't even wrestle with the Mac OS. Stick to Windows, or give Linux a shot.
ccgr wrote:I think we need a Mac vs PC debate thread
Perhaps something to consider... especially since this thread was started about a discussion of fish nuggets. Personally, something I find a bit questionable from a culinary standpoint... but I have never tried the things, either.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drewsov wrote:I dunno, man, I'm running a pretty good Mac and dual-booting Windows on it. I don't have viruses. I don't have malware. And I'm able to play modern games. So what's the problem again? Oh, that's right, your bias. :roll:
All things you can get a hotdog eating contest. Plus...hotdogs.

Which is to say, you can get every drop of that stuff with a system dualing Windows and Ubuntu, and you'll get it for 1/3 the price. Or free. You'll get a far, far better system for the price (any price, really; a decent Mac'll drain your bank account, and for the same body-part prices, you can get a mind blowing PC), and Linux is free. Free of cost, and free of nasty harmful bits of coding. It would also be completely modular, so you could grab your upgrades nearly anywhere. And given it's a standard PC system, no system specific learning would be needed. In addition to all that, any PC user can experience open source virus free living nigh instantly, with very little work on their part.

I don't know if you've given the newer versions of Ubuntu a shot, but it has the fancy ability to switch from childlike simplicity (using the Unity shell) to Windows flavored (gnome) to nerdcore NOS fairly easily (or so I am told). So all the "Mac is simplest" questions are resolved, especially given that Ubuntu is just as immune to viruses as iOS stuff is.

For the record, neither Mac nor Linux OS's are virus proof though. Interwebs myth. :P

Bias, I beleeves you was saying? Or is it actually a carefully thought out opinion that questions the point of throwing money at companies who offer nothing but fancy white shells and good advertising? :P
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Right, except everyone knows that Fedora is a far superior Linux Distro to Ubuntu. :P
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Drewsov wrote:I dunno, man, I'm running a pretty good Mac and dual-booting Windows on it. I don't have viruses. I don't have malware. And I'm able to play modern games. So what's the problem again? Oh, that's right, your bias. :roll:
yeah, except Mac users tend to come off like, well, this
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested