Metal music

prunehairs
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
I am just curious, does anyone here listen to metal or any of the sub genres of metal? I have been a metal-head since I was about 10 years old. However, I don't think many Christians listen to metal because it is generally not very Christian like. If you do listen to any metal please feel free to let me know and share some bands :) If you have any opinions of metal music feel free to leave them as well.
I don't know how to make this look good so here's a cat.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
There a couple metal heads here. There are also more christian metal bands than you might think. Some people can help you with that.

As for myself, I'm more partial to the symphonic/operatic metal, like Nightwish and Epica.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
I love metal, but I've been distracted by dubstep lately. I grew up on things like sevendust and POD. I still rock out some old school POD occasionally. I think sevendust might have some darker songs than POD, I can't remember very well.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
There's very, very few decent Christian metal bands. Becoming the Archetype, Paramaecium, Zao, and Vaakevandring are pretty much the top end.

That said you'll find a fair share of metalheads 'round here. I've been listening to a lot of folk metal lately (Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Bran Barr, Falkenbach), but I tend to go just about any direction on a given day, from Mayhem or Meshuggah to lighter stuff like Epica or Evergrey. Except nu-metal. Where I come from we sacrifice those people to Odin.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Oh, man, I used to love POD in high school.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I grew up a metalhead in High school. I still have the long hair and whatnot, though I cut it pretty short now. Some of my older screen names are "samklok", based on the band in the show Metalocalypse. I also really liked Mushroomhead. Slipknot was the enemy in my eyes.

Though, truthfully, I'm more of a metalcore fan. I really like Opeth, Unearth, Killswitch Engage and older Avenged Sevenfold pre-City of Crap (Evil).

One of my favourites.
prunehairs
Noob
Noob
Wow, there are more metalheads than I expected! After reading your responses I have some new bands to check out!

Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
My taste in music may be severely outdated, though. I haven't really listened to anything modern in a very long time.

Mainly because *surprise* I hate most modern music. And I hate anything that's in any way related to techno.

EDIT- Wow, I just realized I called Opeth metalcore. They're not.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Haters. :P

I'ma a semi metal head, with the addendum that I stick with the Christian flavored variety. I remain unashamed of this. Some of my favorites are Demon Hunter, The Devil Wears Prada, and InnerSiege. Far, far at the top of my list is Theocracy, which always blows my mind.

I've also recently started listening to Divinefire, but I have none of their CD's. I will second Oro's recommendations though. The Chariot is also good if you like the sound of nails in a blender. :P
prunehairs
Noob
Noob
Very nice chozon I myself used to be into the Devil Wears Prada. I haven't listened to them in a while but they are still great! August burns red and For Today are some more Christian bands, you might have an interest in them. :)

baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
I am very much a metalhead, a quality of which my friends think is "real cool" and which my parents think is "annoying". I highly recommend Divinefire and The Letter Black, although Opeth and Animal Couch are pretty good, too. BTW prune hairs, your avatar is awesome. :mrgreen:

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
RoosterOnAStick
I'm definitely a metalhead to a certain degree too.

It can be hard to find good metal that isn't explicitly anti-Christian but it is out there. I used to be into the Christian Metalcore scene but no so much anymore. I stick with melodic, power, or symphonic metal for the most part. My favorite bands I like are Amon Amarth, Epica, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Sabaton, and the parody metal band Dethklok (though some of their later stuff wasn't that good IMO).
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Oh man, early Dethklok and Metalocalypse is so good.

Symphonic metal is some awesome, stuff, too.
Did you ever listen to Epica's Classical Conspiracy album?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoosterOnAStick
Oh man, early Dethklok and Metalocalypse is so good.
Yeah man, I loved the first and second albums, even if the second one was a bit more serious. The third album I didn't like because it just didn't feel like Dethklok.
Did you ever listen to Epica's Classical Conspiracy album?
Honestly I just got into them recently so I am still getting more of their stuff :-).
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Definitely check it out, especially if you like more symphonic scores and movie soundtracks.

Have you been into Nightwish long? What do you think of the new singers vs. Tarja?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.