Classical music discussion

cytochrome
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey guys, new here. Just trying to get to know everyone and aside from Christian values, I'd like to see who else shares a common interest of mine - classical music!

I'm not necessarily talking about strict "classical", but I really enjoy strings and woodwinds. My favorites have to be Vivaldi and Mozart. Anyone else into this stuff?
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
I do love Skillet.

>.>

<.<

But seriously, I don't listen to classical regularly, but I do love some Tchaikovsky or some Beethoven. I mostly listen to film or game soundtracks when it comes to the (neo)classical department.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
epsons
VIP Member
VIP Member
I enjoy some Bach, some Mozart... as well as anything Chopin has written for piano. I fairly recently got a collection of Bach Cello Suites played by Rostropovich, which is pretty amazing.

My tastes in classical though are generally pretty limited... most overly consonant, major stuff honestly tends to bore me. I find that I generally like stuff with minor keys, complex sounding harmonies, or that make use of dissonance.
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I enjoy classical music here's a couple of my favorites: Andante E Spiccato and Pachelbel's Canon
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Hard to top Mozart's Requiems.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I have recently discovered my passionate love for cello music :3

As for my favorites?

"I'll be Bach"

heh
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
Pheonix wrote:I do love Skillet.

I... I love classical. I'm a big fan of the classics like Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, and whatnot, but I tend to get into contemporary stuff a lot more.

I.e., Jonny Greenwood:

Krzysztof Penderecki (jump to about 1:00):

Zbigniew Preisner:

Johann Johannsson:

Olafur Arnalds:

Max Richter:

And though I'd hesitate to really call them "classical," Stars of the Lid:

Those are all just tidbits of the depth these guys have. I'm really fond of composers playing with the norm and throwing electronic elements into an orchestral piece and junk like that. I guess that none of them really fall under the category of "classical" as most people define it, which I suppose makes them neo-classical or post-classical or whatever it is the kids call it these days. But anyway, I love 'em. :3

P.S. Don't listen to Pendercki unless you want to poop your pants. If you've seen The Shining and The Exorcist, you'll understand.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm not a huge fan of many contemporary works (or classical contemporary). They're often too chaotic for my tastes and I prefer the ordered complexity of something like Bach's Fugue in G Minor instead.

That being said, thanks for sharing those songs. Even outside my tastes, they were interesting if not good.
And I absolutely love Preisner's Lacrimosa. I heard it before but didn't know where it was from. Really a great addition on top of Mozart's Requiem and just hauntingly spiritual.
I've said before that you know a song is a good song if it can tell you a story, and this song weaves an epic tale.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
skywalkerb1999
Noob
Noob
I play piano and I enjoy playing classical music, mostly Mozart and Beethoven.
I came, I saw, I mined.
LoveLadyDog16
Noob
Noob
I love Mozart.
in his hands,
LoveLadyDog16
creeperdefense15
Noob
Noob
I like all classical music pieces
EvergreenAcademy101
Noob
Noob
I don't listen to classical music regularly but I have been trying to introduce my kids to classical as part of their education. Hard to do when you don't listen to it much. We have found some very fun story versions to familiarize them with it.