Star Wars 7 - Unanswered Questions

amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
The main purpose of this thread is to speculate on what will happen next and discuss any unanswered questions. But feel free to discuss anything about Star Wars VII

Here are my top questions and theories....

Who is Rey?

It wouldn't really matter who she was if she didn't learn to use the force so quickly, like resisting Kylo Ren, for real?! So anyway, my cousins came up with this theory. She is Kylo Ren's long lost sister. While Kylo Ren was in Jedi training with Luke, he went crazy and took off. Then Rey was born and Han and Leia hid her to keep her safe from her evil brother.

Will Kylo Ren turn back from the Dark Side?

I think he already is turning. I think he was sincere when he said, "help me father". He and Han both knew that in order for Ren to defeat Snoke, they had to pretend Ren was still faithful. Han turned on the lightsaber and killed himself because Ren couldn't. Now Ren will go back to complete his training and when the time is right he will kill Snoke.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
amyjo88 wrote: Who is Rey?

It wouldn't really matter who she was if she didn't learn to use the force so quickly, like resisting Kylo Ren, for real?! So anyway, my cousins came up with this theory. She is Kylo Ren's long lost sister.
I tend to doubt this, since it would be very strange that neither Han nor Leia showed any recognition at all when they saw her and spent time around her.

My money is on her being a child of Luke Skywalker.
amyjo88 wrote: Will Kylo Ren turn back from the Dark Side?

I think he already is turning. I think he was sincere when he said, "help me father". He and Han both knew that in order for Ren to defeat Snoke, they had to pretend Ren was still faithful. Han turned on the lightsaber and killed himself because Ren couldn't. Now Ren will go back to complete his training and when the time is right he will kill Snoke.
When he said "help me father" he basically meant "be my sacrificial lamb." To go back to Snoke to continue training undercover wouldn't really work, since using the Dark side means giving into hate... and you just can't fake that. He might possibly turn back at some point, though I would be a bit disappointed since it would be too much like the story of Darth Vader.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
ArcticFox wrote:
I tend to doubt this, since it would be very strange that neither Han nor Leia showed any recognition at all when they saw her and spent time around her.

My money is on her being a child of Luke Skywalker.
But would Luke really abandon his child?

If she is Han and Leia's, they haven't seen her since she was very small. I think they still recognized her but not right away, and it's too dangerous to reveal themselves as her parents because of Kylo Ren. Han did seem quick to let her into his life, perhaps he was even proud of her?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
amyjo88 wrote: But would Luke really abandon his child?
I guess that would depend on the reason. Suppose he was doing it to protect her from something or someone?
amyjo88 wrote: If she is Han and Leia's, they haven't seen her since she was very small. I think they still recognized her but not right away, and it's too dangerous to reveal themselves as her parents because of Kylo Ren. Han did seem quick to let her into his life, perhaps he was even proud of her?
He does seem to feel a connection to her, though if she's Luke's daughter that would make her Ren's cousin, which is close enough to potentially explain that. After all she's Vader's granddaughter too, if that's the case.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Even in the theater, I pondered the idea that Han turned the saber on himself. It felt like he did, or at least allowed it to happen...but plot wise, I can't make it fit. Unless Han felt the choice was either kill his own son, or hope that down the road, his death would lead to Ren's redemption. Like when Obi-Wan refused to kill Vader. Not only did he know there was still good in him, but striking down Luke's father would likely have put Luke on the path down the dark side.

Personally, I'm hoping Ren either dies in a fire, or realizes he should have turned lightside...right before Rey puts a saber through his heart. >_> Maybe two or three. Seven even, just to make sure he won't come back. Because, you know, he freaking killed Han Solo. O_o

I can see Rey being Luke's kid, or Ren's sister...either way would be OK with me. Or even Poe's sister, since he's almost certainly force sensitive with his piloting skills...The ship that dropped her off as a kid looked like an Imperial transport, though that doesn't mean much.

I'm actually more interested in Finn as a character. I really like Rey, but Finn is sort of like Batman. He's the guy without superpowers running with a super powered crowd. :D
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Even in the theater, I pondered the idea that Han turned the saber on himself. It felt like he did, or at least allowed it to happen...but plot wise, I can't make it fit. Unless Han felt the choice was either kill his own son, or hope that down the road, his death would lead to Ren's redemption. Like when Obi-Wan refused to kill Vader. Not only did he know there was still good in him, but striking down Luke's father would likely have put Luke on the path down the dark side.
I definitely don't think Han allowed it to happen deliberately. Killing his own father is what cemented Ren to the Dark Side fully, and eliminated all of his doubts. It therefore had the opposite effect of what Han would have wanted. When Ren asked Han to help him, Han thought he meant help him come back to the light. What Ren really meant was that he wanted help committing fully to the dark.

In that sense, Han's efforts to try to get his son back not only failed, but failed catastrophically. Had he not made the effort, Ren would still have his doubts. Now those are gone.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh...I dunno. I really don't. That makes a large amount of sense from both plot and writing standpoints...but Star Wars rarely makes sense ("I'm in love with you...oh hai U R my sister...I'ma go sign up for therapy now").

Thing is, I think that may have been Ren's motivation. I don't see him asking for help to return to the light...but I think Han allowed it to happen (or yeah, turned the saber on himself) because he couldn't kill his son, and hoped that his death will haunt Ren until he's redeemed. I think it only removed Renny's doubts in that he'll be all "I killed Han Solo, they'll never let me back into the light now" in the next movie, or the final one. Which is OK to me; I'd be OK if Rey agreed, then stabbed in the face. >_>

Vengeance aside, Han couldn't face Leia after having killed his own son. He had to either succeed in bringing him home, or die in the attempt, and I think he knew that. Sacrificing himself for a chance that Ren could be turned later was, I think, the best he could do when he saw his state of mind.

Or...he could still be alive. >_>
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
Chozon1 wrote:Ehhhhhhhhhhh...I dunno. I really don't. That makes a large amount of sense from both plot and writing standpoints...but Star Wars rarely makes sense ("I'm in love with you...oh hai U R my sister...I'ma go sign up for therapy now").

Thing is, I think that may have been Ren's motivation. I don't see him asking for help to return to the light...but I think Han allowed it to happen (or yeah, turned the saber on himself) because he couldn't kill his son, and hoped that his death will haunt Ren until he's redeemed. I think it only removed Renny's doubts in that he'll be all "I killed Han Solo, they'll never let me back into the light now" in the next movie, or the final one. Which is OK to me; I'd be OK if Rey agreed, then stabbed in the face. >_>

Vengeance aside, Han couldn't face Leia after having killed his own son. He had to either succeed in bringing him home, or die in the attempt, and I think he knew that. Sacrificing himself for a chance that Ren could be turned later was, I think, the best he could do when he saw his state of mind.

Or...he could still be alive. >_>
Word on the street is that Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off. And honestly, it's time :( It was so fun seeing the old actors/characters/etc but it's also time to pass the torch. BB8 was surprisingly awesome, and I'm ready for him to take R2's place. Maybe R2 can mentor him though, lol.

I still think it would be ok for Ren to turn back. Vader barely turned back. Ren could turn back and still actually DO a lot of good. But, I see where you guys are coming from. Maybe Ren is now evil through and through
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
amyjo88 wrote: Word on the street is that Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off.
He did indeed. Actually, he'd wanted Han to be killed off at the end of Empire Strikes Back... That's why Han got frozen in carbonite. It was because of the uncertainty of whether they could get him to come back and do Jedi.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
And also why I still hold that his being alive is not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

If it were Star Trek or Gate, it would almost be a certainty. :P
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:And also why I still hold that his being alive is not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

If it were Star Trek or Gate, it would almost be a certainty. :P
Can't argue with that...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens