The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
ChickenSoup wrote:I haven't read up on it, but was Dain Ironfoot completely CGI? Like, it's Billy Connolly's voice and nothing else?
And his face... sorta.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Ah DF just reminded me. I like the scene where Gandalf is rescued. You have three people who are complete bad***es but spent LOTR doing nothing finally get to kick some.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:Ah DF just reminded me. I like the scene where Gandalf is rescued. You have three people who are complete bad***es but spent LOTR doing nothing finally get to kick some.
I got all... Tingly :O
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I uh...was rather annoyed at that scene. >_> Not annoyed, so much as barely containing my giggles. It was like snarfling jalapeno poppers. I loved it when it was happening, but later I wondered why it did.

Because to me, it was taking three epic characters...and turning them into little more than glorified action heroes. :P Plus, they made Galadriel turn all undead witch. Which isn't really kosher. And was just plain embarrassing to watch.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Chozon1 wrote:Plus, they made Galadriel turn all undead witch. Which isn't really kosher. And was just plain embarrassing to watch.
So I guess the first Lord of the Rings movie isn't really kosher either?
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Chozon1 wrote:Plus, they made Galadriel turn all undead witch. Which isn't really kosher. And was just plain embarrassing to watch.
Yeah, that annoyed me too, it's not like the three elven rings' power are evil like the One Ring, or were ever touched by Sauron like the nine.
Also a lot of Galadriel's power comes from herself, not the ring.
(Not to mention Elrond and Gandalf have the other two elven rings, and you don't see them with vast amounts of power.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Now, so, there might be some lore support for Galadriel being a sort of super-elf. Her power was definitely referenced in the books, and was said to have thrown open the gates of Dol Guldor in the LOTR appendix.

Additionally, she was one of the few elves who have been to Valinor, to which I think she was originally form and has seen the light of the two trees. That has a level of significance and I think does manifest itself in increased power. The old elves, especially the Noldor, have been quite influential and powerful. Feanor crafted the 3 Simiarils, and Celebrimbor, his grandson, crafted the three Elven Rings. Fingolfin fought Morgoth himself, Sauron's boss and while losing and dying in the fight, he crippled Morgoth permanently. And so on.

As the rings go, they each have different powers.
Vilya, Elrond's ring, is believed to heal and preserve; Narya, Gandalf's ring, grants power to resist tyranny, despair,etc. Nenya, Galadriel's ring, grants protection and concealment from evil.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Seriously, they're powerful as poop
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
ArchAngel wrote:Now, so, there might be some lore support for Galadriel being a sort of super-elf. Her power was definitely referenced in the books, and was said to have thrown open the gates of Dol Guldor in the LOTR appendix.

Additionally, she was one of the few elves who have been to Valinor, to which I think she was originally form and has seen the light of the two trees. That has a level of significance and I think does manifest itself in increased power. The old elves, especially the Noldor, have been quite influential and powerful. Feanor crafted the 3 Simiarils, and Celebrimbor, his grandson, crafted the three Elven Rings. Fingolfin fought Morgoth himself, Sauron's boss and while losing and dying in the fight, he crippled Morgoth permanently. And so on.

As the rings go, they each have different powers.
Vilya, Elrond's ring, is believed to heal and preserve; Narya, Gandalf's ring, grants power to resist tyranny, despair,etc. Nenya, Galadriel's ring, grants protection and concealment from evil.
I knew all of that, but I wasn't certain she had been a part in removing the Necromancer.

And so the thing is, I have no problem with Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond going super hero. I have a problem with Galadriel rolling around on the ground twitching and muttering while turning into a zombie undead-queen lady. :P All they needed was pea soup to complete the vibes.

Her power is entirely from the light side, even with the ring.
Deepfreeze32 wrote:So I guess the first Lord of the Rings movie isn't really kosher either?
You probably shouldn't get me started on those movies.

That said, no; not at all. Because you saw her from a little Hobbit's perspective as she was being tempted by the One ring to the dark side. Sam and Frodo were terrified of her in the book. I was actually OK with that scene, as when she rejected the ring and all it's Queen of Darkness flavoring, she looked normal again.

Well. Elvish normal.

But in the Hobbit, she went all darkside as she was using what were essentially holy powers. Which bothered me, intrinsically.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I did dislike the "dark queen" mode in Hobbit for the exact reason you laid out.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim