What was the last movie you watched?

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Pheonix wrote:
CountKrazy wrote:Yeeeaaah. I would generally recommend thinking for yourself rather than going off of some Internet person's opinion. XD
I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this statement. :P
:lol: Saw it, too... but there is a distinction (however subtle) between issuing a piece of proverbial advice and an opinion.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
GI Joe...was okay, not in a hurry to see it again
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Terminator Salvation

'Splosions!!!! :D

B+

I was disappointed. :( Characters and voice acting were flat. Story and world were empty (yeah, yeah it was post apocalyptic, but then so is Fallout) and devoid of emotion. A lot of it was insanely predictable and it was just plain boring.

C
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Fast And Furious.

Meh

C

The Punisher (1989)

Not...horrible imo actually.

Give it a B at least.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Voyde
Gamer
Gamer
'Paul Blart's Mall Cop.' Seen it before, just watched it with Mom, who hadn't seen it. Not nearly as funny as it should have been, but otherwise...an Ok movie.
People who hack Metroid are losers.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Obibear
VIP Member
VIP Member
Location: Dillon, Texas, helping Landry practice his field goal kicks.
The Book of Eli

Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman gave life to the film, but I gotta say that I was impressed with the Hughes Brothers direction. I wasn't expecting much from them, but they delivered. Good movie. Too short, though. The story wasn't fleshed out enough and by the time the credits rolled I felt like I had missed an entire act. But I hadn't.

B

Oh, I'm an Obibear. Yes, I'm an Obibear. I'm a yummy tummy funny lucky Obibear.

I'm a jelly bear. Cuz I'm an Obibear. I'm a movin' grovin' jammin' singin' Obibear.
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I really liked this film, but I can't say I would recommend it to anybody. That said, Robert Downey Jr's performances (aside from Sgt. Osiris) are starting to seem just the slightest bit one-note. Not to say that he isn't incredible at it, but still. B-

Coraline - This is the kind of movie that gets under your skin; it's quite nearly the creepiest movie I've ever seen. No kidding. However, this is also a movie that comes with attitude and atmosphere, and for this, I strongly applaud the animators for creating a gorgeous film. B

P.S. I have the strongest of empathy for the animators of a one Ms. Forcible. <.<
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Gamer

So this movie came out of nowhere. When I first saw a trailer for it, I went something like "That looks legit stupid." Then my reasonable side came about and decided to say "Hmm. Gerard Butler's in it, and he shoots stuff. I have low expectations, but I'll watch it."

Then I watched it tonight. The cinematography annoyed the crap out of me (much like many recent action-ish films, such as Push), but the rest of the movie was a lot better than I expected in most regards. The messages about the dangers of technological progress and human questing for control were not thoroughly original, but good all the same. Characterization was fairly good on the whole.

By no means a mindblowing movie, but it was solid at the very least. However, a crapton of violence and a lot of language were present, along with an ample presence of naked boobs. Fortunately for that last part, the vast majority of the nudity was gone as soon as it hit the screen. Unfortunately, it's still there and didn't do much for advancing the film (though, in its context, it actually makes sense to be there).

I don't recommend the movie, but it's not the suckfest one might be inclined to think it is.
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
I haven't seen it, but it looks to be a pretty standard R-rated actioner. I did see, however, the James Roday and Maggie Lawson cameo, which was...profanely awesome.
TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
Master of Disguise
>.>
B+

Thr3e
...wow, that was horrible.
F
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
Kendrik
CCGR addict
I'm going to be a master of disguise.
I'm going to be a master of disguise.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Memento

Uhm. Yes. It's been a long time since I've seen this, but it stayed on my top five favorite films list despite the lack of memory of it that I possessed (no joke intended). I'm glad that after watching it again... it was just as awesome.

So good.

Not a movie I can recommend here... but dang.
SpartanOmega
Gamer
Gamer
Location: since you see this post.... I'm probably at my computer.
Kendrik wrote:Gamer

So this movie came out of nowhere. When I first saw a trailer for it, I went something like "That looks legit stupid." Then my reasonable side came about and decided to say "Hmm. Gerard Butler's in it, and he shoots stuff. I have low expectations, but I'll watch it."

Then I watched it tonight. The cinematography annoyed the crap out of me (much like many recent action-ish films, such as Push), but the rest of the movie was a lot better than I expected in most regards. The messages about the dangers of technological progress and human questing for control were not thoroughly original, but good all the same. Characterization was fairly good on the whole.

By no means a mindblowing movie, but it was solid at the very least. However, a crapton of violence and a lot of language were present, along with an ample presence of naked boobs. Fortunately for that last part, the vast majority of the nudity was gone as soon as it hit the screen. Unfortunately, it's still there and didn't do much for advancing the film (though, in its context, it actually makes sense to be there).

I don't recommend the movie, but it's not the suckfest one might be inclined to think it is.
Wanted to see it, but there's just to much nudity for me. I heard there was also a small lesbian scene, but I'm not certain.

I'm about to watch.... Julie and Julia. My Mom and sisters pick the movie, seeing as they took my dad leaving the hardest.
"Always tell of God's love. If necessary, use words"- St. Francis

Kudos: 35
Drewsov
CCGR addict
The Book of Eli

I was prepared to dislike this movie... but I actually had quite a bit of fun watching it. The Hughes Brothers again come off as portraying the white man as an evil, horrible group (that's literally how all of their movies have been, it seems), but despite that, and despite the fact that the film wore its religious and social agenda on its sleeve (leaving subtlety in the dust), The Book of Eli was ultimately a treat to watch.

Yes, the other post-apoc movies this last year outdid it and outshine it. However, the plot twists are memorable and the acting shines throughout. Especially compared to this next one...

B+

Legion

What a waste of time.

Overly violent, disregarding the source material for the filmmakers' own vision, and almost completely blasphemous, Legion was an utter disappointment and a monumental failure. Other works that are arguably blasphemous have come before (for example, the graphic novel series Preacher, written by Garth Ennis, following a preacher as he tries to find God to tell him what's what; Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, which deals with roughly the same topic; the comic book John Constantine: Hellblazer, and its companion film Constantine, also written by Ennis and others), but these works have some social merit, some artistic worth, and more or less respect the material that they're drawing from while building upon it to create a fascinating universe that ultimately comments on society's lack of religious tolerance, or indeed creates a religious fable through the liberties taken.

Legion, however, does none of these things. It disregards any of the apocryphal notions of the Bible, and actually throws away any and all of the content-rich Book of Revelation (which Darksiders has recently drawn on to create a really fascinating world... though I wouldn't recommend that one for the kiddies). What Legion supposes is that angels have dominion over men, meaning that they can take possession of them. What Legion supposes is that God has had it, and that there is no hope for humanity, that Christ's sacrifice means nothing. What Legion supposes is that an angel - the angel Michael - can change God's mind, and that God cannot foresee any of the actions (somehow, despite his omnipotence) that occur.

The imagery is borderline satanic - ranging from the subtle (the opening shot has the aforementioned angel landing on a puddle, in which the shape of a goat's head is reflected), to the overt (a man is strapped to an inverted cross and tied there with ropes; had the filmmakers done their research, they'd know that an inverted cross isn't satanic, though an inverted crucifix is; they'd know that actual crucifixions occurred with rope; all of this is disregarded and used to "horrify" the audience) - and most of the acting is bad, though intentionally so. Most of the actors have some legitimate screen credits to their names, so that's something.

It all just makes me beg the question, though: why? There are some solid performances here, and Dennis Quaid looks like he's having a pretty good time. Paul Bettany (who plays Michael) and Kevin Durand (Gabriel) are both standouts, and both Tyrese Gibson and Charles S. Dutton offer up some pretty good acting, too. But then Lucas Black comes in, destroying the scenery rather than chewing it up with his "performance." Really, man? I've seen you do better, and there's a difference between hamming it up and destroying any small amount of credibility you once had.

Character development is also pretty good, and at one point, I almost convinced myself that I was starting to like the movie. But I wasn't. That was me, lying to myself.

Stay far away from this turd.

F
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...