Star Trek: Discovery

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
The new series has a name. And it has a ship.

They released a teaser at comic-con, and I'm excited for it. They've said the CGI is not final, so it will probably undergo revisions between now and premiere, but here it is!

The model itself clearly needs some refinement, but I'm really digging the Federation/Klingon mashup of styles. It also looks like some of the Phase II concept art.

So, thoughts? The registration number seems to indicate pre-TOS, but it's not impossible that this is a reused number or a re-fit ship. I'm also interested that they chose to show it launching from an asteroid instead of, say, Utopia Planitia. The number is 1031...perhaps Section 31 is involved?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe I'm just giddy that this is the first Star Trek series I will get to witness live as it comes out since Voyager (My parents refused to let me watch Enterprise, and I was all of 7 during the Voyager episodes I saw).
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Curious about it, saw all of the originals and episodes here and there from the other series'. Not exactly a die hard fan, but intrigued :)
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Neat! I am a big fan, and I can't wait!
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
To be honest, when I first saw this I went looking to debunk it as a fan trailer... I'm not a fan of the new ship design or the quality of the effects but maybe that will get better in time.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Comotto
http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/ Ready to boldly go.....

Big fan with one reservation, how do you go back 10 years in the story and use modern tech effects that were not available in the original series. Seems paradoxical!

CARZ
Comotto
Comotto wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 pm http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/ Ready to boldly go.....

Big fan with one reservation, how do you go back 10 years in the story and use modern tech effects that were not available in the original series. Seems paradoxical!

CARZ
Illogical that in early Starfleet history there would be both a female Captain and First Officer. Also, not sure if I like the continuing open ended story as opposed to each episode concluding.

CARZ
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I watched both episodes last night, and I'm really liking where this is going. It feels fresh to see things like this.
Comotto wrote:Illogical that in early Starfleet history there would be both a female Captain and First Officer.
Really? I mean, it's not really been shown on screen before, but Starfleet is very large, and I don't think such an arrangement is out of the realm of possibility. I think there is plenty of room for this in the Star Trek canon, at least at this point in time. If it were Enterprise-era? Maybe I could see that being the case. I heard someone say that most of the other shows, we've seen "celebrity" Starfleet. Ergo, it is very possible that they are not representative of Starfleet as a whole.

But, aside...
Also, not sure if I like the continuing open ended story as opposed to each episode concluding.
I actually really like this. Maybe I'm biased because Deep Space Nine is my favorite Trek, but continuing stories are the sort of thing I live for in TV these days. I do hope we get more moments of levity here and there, but I am not opposed to a serialized run of Star Trek.

Some spoilery thoughts for the first two episodes:
Spoiler:
I still don't really like the Klingon redesign, but I like that each of the houses has a distinct look to them now. Hopefully there's some reasoning for the appearance in here...

I actually really like that Burnham is stripped of rank before we actually see Discovery. I think that's a fresh direction to take the show, considering up until now we've seen (mostly) model officers with the occasional dance down the dark side. Hopefully they do some cool things with it.

I am disappointed that we haven't actually gotten to see Discovery yet, but I guess that these first two episodes are mostly just setting up the backstory. Curious to see how Captain Lorca is, since I usually think of Jason Isaacs as the villain character.

While I like the opening credits sequence, I do wish at some point it had turned into a starfield, because nostalgia.

tl;dr: I like where this is going, and I can't wait for next week's episode.
Comotto
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm I watched both episodes last night, and I'm really liking where this is going. It feels fresh to see things like this.
Comotto wrote:Illogical that in early Starfleet history there would be both a female Captain and First Officer.
Really? I mean, it's not really been shown on screen before, but Starfleet is very large, and I don't think such an arrangement is out of the realm of possibility. I think there is plenty of room for this in the Star Trek canon, at least at this point in time. If it were Enterprise-era? Maybe I could see that being the case. I heard someone say that most of the other shows, we've seen "celebrity" Starfleet. Ergo, it is very possible that they are not representative of Starfleet as a whole.

But, aside...
Also, not sure if I like the continuing open ended story as opposed to each episode concluding.
I actually really like this. Maybe I'm biased because Deep Space Nine is my favorite Trek, but continuing stories are the sort of thing I live for in TV these days. I do hope we get more moments of levity here and there, but I am not opposed to a serialized run of Star Trek.

Spoiler:
I still don't really like the Klingon redesign, but I like that each of the houses has a distinct look to them now. Hopefully there's some reasoning for the appearance in here...

I actually really like that Burnham is stripped of rank before we actually see Discovery. I think that's a fresh direction to take the show, considering up until now we've seen (mostly) model officers with the occasional dance down the dark side. Hopefully they do some cool things with it.

I am disappointed that we haven't actually gotten to see Discovery yet, but I guess that these first two episodes are mostly just setting up the backstory. Curious to see how Captain Lorca is, since I usually think of Jason Isaacs as the villain character.

While I like the opening credits sequence, I do wish at some point it had turned into a starfield, because nostalgia.

(If it were Enterprise-era? ) Do you realize this is pre-Enterprise? That's why 2 females looks out of place.

(but continuing stories are the sort of thing I live for in TV these days) Probably old school, but I don't like being intimidated so that I have to watch every episode and I have never been ok with the 'Elite' of premium or internet that get to view things the vanilla people can't watch! Variety was the spice of life with the original series, being able to air highly controversial subject matter in alien realms, having favorite episodes that were complete stories in themselves. Then again you weren't weaned on Kirk and Spock.

CARZ
Last edited by Comotto on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Discovery is set in 2256, which means it is pre-TOS by about 10 years. I was referring to the show Enterprise, which was set in the 2150's. lol.

And yeah, I can see how you feel. There is a certain draw to hitting the reset button at the end of every episode. I just got kind of sick of it on Voyager. That story was practically begging for continuous arcs and serialized episodes, and instead we got what amounted to a slightly varied version of TNG with no Starfleet backup. Ah well...
Comotto
Comotto wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm I watched both episodes last night, and I'm really liking where this is going. It feels fresh to see things like this.

But, aside...

Spoiler:

(If it were Enterprise-era? ) Do you realize this is pre-Enterprise? That's why 2 females looks out of place.

(but continuing stories are the sort of thing I live for in TV these days) Probably old school, but I don't like being bullied so that I have to watch every episode and I have never been ok with the 'Elite' of premium or internet that get to view things the vanilla people can't watch! TV was designed for the Masses. Variety was the spice of life with the original series, being able to air highly controversial subject matter in alien realms, having favorite episodes that were complete stories in themselves. Then again you weren't weaned on Kirk and Spock.

CARZ
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I can't imagine any reasonable objection to having both the Captain and First Officer be female. What's the problem?

And it isn't without precedent. In ST:Enterprise, the NX-02 Columbia was captained by a woman. (And that show takes place way before Discovery) If they said who the First Officer was I don't recall, but what difference does it make?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Comotto
ArcticFox wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:28 pm I can't imagine any reasonable objection to having both the Captain and First Officer be female. What's the problem?

And it isn't without precedent. In ST:Enterprise, the NX-02 Columbia was captained by a woman. (And that show takes place way before Discovery) If they said who the First Officer was I don't recall, but what difference does it make?
It wasn't an objection, just an observation. Those of us that followed the TV series didn't see a primary female Captain role until 'Voyager'.

CARZ
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Comotto wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm It wasn't an objection, just an observation. Those of us that followed the TV series didn't see a primary female Captain role until 'Voyager'.

CARZ
Gotcha. It's true that Janeway was the first featured Captain to be a woman... but you did say it was illogical to have a female captain and first officer in charge that early in Starfleet history, regarding Discovery. As I mentioned before, the events of Star Trek:Enterprise predate Discovery, so that precedent had been set in universe.

Though there were plenty of female captains before Janeway in terms of overall Trek. Consider Star Trek IV... the captain of the USS Saratoga was female. We also saw the occasional female captain in Star Trek:TNG and DS9. Most notably, Captain Rachel Garrett of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C was female, as shown in the TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise." So I think a solid precedent was set to bring Janeway in without it seeming unusual, and Discovery is just the next example.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Watched the first episode finally.

So far... I'm intrigued. There is some HEAVY religious symbolism in it, and not just the crusading Klingons. (Water in the desert, anyone?) It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Comotto
If it doesn't continue on Broadcast TV, I won't be watching on all access.

CARZ