A small, leather-bound journal (Minecraft fiction)

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Day 1:

I could go into a long, detailed explanation about who I am and how I came to be here, but for various reasons, I will refrain for now. Suffice it to say that I have heard that these worlds are a place to go if one wishes to make something of themselves. So, here I am.

Although I have had many titles over my various excursions, and through several worlds, the name “Sstavix the Lizardman” will be more than sufficient at this time. When I arrived, I donned my disguise - this one of a strange native called “Steve.”

I do have to admit that I don’t think I’ve ever come to a place with as grand an entrance as this one. The dazzling fountain and glass windows, the stunning lights, the portals… even the “food court,” where tasty snacks are provided for free, are all amazing works.

The first person I met here was a strong, bearded man who called himself “HaggisPK.” He used some odd teleportation magic to show me his home, constructed high in the mountains. It is an impressive, three-story structure made of dark wood. The temperatures were a bit cold for my reptilian nature, but if he noticed anything unusual about my behavior, he did not mention it. He did welcome me warmly into this new, strange land, though, and gave me some supplies to begin my new life here. He also gave me some instruction into the teleportation magics of this place. In my homelands, this kind of power was available only after decades of research, to the most erudite of mages. Here, everyone can do it. Truly, an amazing place.

But dangerous. The days are extremely short here, and horrible monsters emerge at night. This shift in the flow of time will take some getting used to. I will have to plan carefully before my next excursion.
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Great job writing! Are we you going to continue with this story?
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
((
ZappierVirus wrote:Great job writing! Are we you going to continue with this story?
Of course! Here's the next part. It's the one after this when the action picks up. ;) ))

Day 10:
I have constructed a crafting table, but when I attempted to use it in the Sanctuary, it collapsed. I received the message that crafting was not permitted here in these sacred walls. So it is a good way stop for travelers, but not a place to consider to be a final residence. Thus forewarned, I have spent the past several days doing research about this world and examining the maps they have here. I believe I have found a spot that will make an ideal home for me - a land nestled between two seas, with a splendid, leaf-shaped cove in the middle. I think I shall call it “Lizard Cove.” But first I need to arrive there. I have collected my meager belongings, as well as the items donated to me by HaggisPK and several days’ worth of bread, and have prepared to depart.
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
I can't decide if I like this or JesusIsLord713's Villager News on the Spam topic more. Keep up the great work!
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Can't say that it's extremely funny but it's interesting! :D Keep up the great work!
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
Sstavix
CCGR addict
(( I have a bunch more written, but don't want to post more than one entry per day. However, life has been slamming me around like a ping pong ball lately, so I haven't had much opportunity to add to this thread. Hopefully I'll be caught up with where I am now before too long!!

And yes, if I've met you or your character in the game, you can expect me to write about you. ;) ))

Day 11:
As the sun peeked over the trees, I departed the Sanctuary. I headed south for as far as the road extended, then proceeded to make my way to the southeast. I encountered the settlements made by others in these lands, but seldom stayed. It seemed that no one else was home, and I did not want to be seen as a trespasser. I must admit, though - what I had seen of their constructions made me gaze in amazement. In all my years of traveling, I don’t think I built much more than a mud hut. It makes me wonder what I will be able to accomplish, myself.

At one location, a square-headed zombie shuffled out from the shade of a tree. It extended its arms at me and groaned, even as the sun caused its dried flesh to smolder and burst into flames. I hesitated to attack - what if this zombie was a guest of the estate? Or a guard? I was trespassing, after all. I fled the flaming creature and managed to vault myself over a stone wall to escape. It took me a while to figure out how to get out of the magnificent walled compound - eventually, I found a gap in the wall where a lake intruded onto the property. I swam around the wall and continued my journey.

Before I knew it, the sun had started to set again. I found a spot next to a hill, and with the cobblestone I had been given, created a tight, but comfortable, tomb around my body. I rested there for a few moments until a thought struck me - how was I to get out? I had not been able to use my crafting table to construct a pickaxe, and I had been too desperate in my mad flight to stop and make one along the route!

I pushed and shoved at a portion of my cobblestone shelter until it fell away, then quickly wedged my crafting table into the gap. To my pleasant surprise, it not only managed to fill the gap, but it also gave me the means to create a pickaxe out of wood and stone. When I could see the glimmer of light through the cracks of my shelter, I used my newly-fashioned pickaxe to carve my way out, collected the loose stone, then made this journal entry. It’s off to the southeast again!
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote:(( I have a bunch more written, but don't want to post more than one entry per day. However, life has been slamming me around like a ping pong ball lately, so I haven't had much opportunity to add to this thread. Hopefully I'll be caught up with where I am now before too long!!

And yes, if I've met you or your character in the game, you can expect me to write about you. ;) ))
I probably won't show up, since you get on late.

Also, there is a "Save draft" feature that allows you to save a post for finishing or posting later. If you happen to be able to write a large number of entries at one time you can save them with this feature.

Keep up the great work!
I post too much.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
(( I actually have it saved on my computer in a Pages file. ;) ))

Day 12:
The settlements of others are thinner now, and the terrain more mountainous. There also is an abundance of forest here, which makes it a bit difficult for me to keep my bearings. There is a lot more to see, however, and the scenery is truly a delight. At one point in my journey, I followed a ridge where I saw a deep pool of water, and pouring into it was a stream of lava, gushing outward with a spectacular plume of steam.

Again, the day ended too soon. I felt as if I hadn’t made much progress, but the terrain had been rough. There were several places in which I feared I I could fall to my doom. Eventually, I found a small clearing with a tiny pond. A pair of rabbits sat at the edge and drank from the cool waters. I approached to whet my own thirst… and a zombie shuffled out from under the trees and made its way toward me.

My response was one of pure instinct. I lashed out my arm, bent my elbow and wrist, and stared into the creature’s dead eyes. I hissed the command words as I forced my will into the mind of the creature, commanding it to obey me.

Nothing happened.

I cursed myself as I drew my sword. I had forgotten that necromancy did not work here. The tactics that I had learned as a hatchling were no good here. I swung as the creature’s flesh burst into flames, and it pummeled me with its misshapen fists. I managed to stab it through the chest and it fell, but not before the flames caught my sleeve on fire. I dashed to the pond and put the flames out, but decided to build my tomb-like shelter next to a nearby hill, instead.

I hear something moving around my shelter as I write this. I hope that it will not be another monster, waiting for me to emerge in the morning. Which will be in just a few minutes. I need to get used to these short days.
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
:D :D :D !!! Can't wait for the next day!
I post too much.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Days 13-14:

These have been days of great conflict, but also of victory. When the sunlight penetrated the cracks of my stony tomb, I used the pickaxe to pry away the walls. In the rising sun, I saw the green, column-like shape of a creeper. This was the first I had seen them in person, but I recognized it instantly from the descriptions I read in the books. I also had read about their explosive natures, and knew I had to keep my distance.

Unfortunately, it turned its head and saw me. As I dug my way out, it started toward me, growling. I took a clumsy swipe at it with my sword, striking it on its side. It responded by freezing in its tracks and hissing. I turned and fled.

I heard the explosion behind me, and chunks of stone struck me from behind. The damage was superficial, though - my “Steve” costume had been ripped, exposing my tail, but that was the extend of it. The creeper had exploded, but it seemed that most of the blast was contained by the few chunks of stone that remained from my shelter. I quickly gathered what remained and headed on my way.

It wasn’t long before I finally reached the edge of the forest, and emerged onto a plain with long grass and gently rolling hills. I made quick progress across that expanse, and came to a desert. The white sands felt warm beneath my feet, and the relentless beating of the sun warmed my reptilian blood. Oh! How I wished I had the opportunity to strip away the human costume and lay there on the sands, basking in the sun! A nap would do wonders for my tired body! But I had a goal to meet, and no time to laze about. I resolved to come back to this region someday, though.

As the sun drooped in the sky, I arrived at the edge of a broad savanna. Looking about, I found a tall plateau nearby, with a few stunted trees struggling to grow from the eastern side. I figured that would be a good place to make my nightly home, and headed to the wall. As I took some cobblestone out of my pack, a sharp pain pierced my side. An arrow!

I looked about to see a skeleton emerge from the shadows of the trees, shaking off the clumps of earth that clung to its ribs. It raised its bow at me, another arrow notched. I tried to dodge - and failed - as I ran the short distance to attack it. I struck it a heavy blow against its side, and another one to its jaw. The skeleton barely flinched as it drew another arrow at me.

I raised my hand again, and that’s when I realized that it still contained a large chunk of rock. I had attacked the skeleton without drawing my sword. For my idiocy, the skeleton rewarded me with another arrow to the shoulder.

I had to do something to save my life - something desperate. And as deplorable as I find the practice, I saw no alternative. I quickly drew my sword and, with a practiced move, sliced behind me. I felt the blade cleave through my tail. Trying my best to ignore the pain, I dove into a shallow hole and concealed myself with dirt.

The tactic of my ancestors worked - the skeleton’s empty eye sockets were drawn by the motion of my thrashing, severed tail, and fired a few more arrows at the severed appendage. I tried to calm my breathing, the best that I could. The skeleton grew tired of this sport and resumed its spot under the tree. Standing motionless, waiting for other unfortunate travelers to attack.

My backside felt numb as my body adjusted to the loss of my tail. It was a tactic that my people had used before, but one I had never relied upon. Then again, my life here tended to be much more physical than my upbringing, too. Despite the immediate threat, I relaxed as much as I could, enjoying the brief rest.

All too soon, the sun started to rise in the east. The skeleton turned its head toward the sun before turning to retreat further into the shadows. This proved to be my turn to rise from the earth and strike. This time with my sword in hand, I rushed the creature and knocked it into the light of the rising sun. It turned to face me as its bones erupted into flame, but I didn’t give it the chance to fire another arrow. Another blow to the ribcage caused it to collapse into dust, leaving behind an arrow and a stray bone. I collected both.

Turning toward the rising sun, I continued my eastward trek. As the sun reached its peak in the sky, I crossed a shallow river and climbed a steep hill. I caught my breath as I reached the crest. There below me was the crystal blue waters of Lizard Cove. I stumbled down the beach to the water and drank my fill. I spotted a place on the beach, just a few steps from the edge, and used my crude stone pick to hollow out a spot. I used the rest of the stone that HaggisPK gave to me to build a shelter there - larger than the tombs I had rested in for the past several days. Then, I sat down to complete this journal entry.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. Even though I have reached my destination, the trees in this area are very thick, with deep shadows beneath. I know that monsters live among the shadows, so I will have to be cautious. But this will be my new home. I had better make it a nice place to live.

But first, sleep.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Great story! One thing that I'm confused about is the creepers. You said that the creeper blew up and destroyed stuff. The server should have mob griefing off which disables creepers to blow up terrain but can still damage you. Unless you just put that part in on purpose to make it fiction? (I guess the title does say fiction but it sounds like more of a true story than fiction).

1.12 is here!

Sstavix
CCGR addict
JesusIsLord713 wrote:Great story! One thing that I'm confused about is the creepers. You said that the creeper blew up and destroyed stuff. The server should have mob griefing off which disables creepers to blow up terrain but can still damage you. Unless you just put that part in on purpose to make it fiction? (I guess the title does say fiction but it sounds like more of a true story than fiction).
(( I had wondered why Creepers that popped around me weren't leaving craters! I think I may have taken one point of damage from that creeper, but at the time I wasn't sure why (it may have been residual from the zombie attack the night before, though). But it still makes for good fiction, eh?

I also took some artistic licensing with the skeleton. Yes, the thing actually did kill me. But I figured I'd change the story slightly to provide a convenient explanation as to why my in-game character doesn't have a tail.

Sadly, the part about attacking the skeleton with a rock in my hand was true. I attempted to pummel the thing with a block of cobblestone. No wonder I died. :lol:

Incidentally, the part about the "Steve" costume also is a way to explain why, for the first few days, I had the default skin on. It wasn't until after I started developing Lizard Cove that I found a Web site that helped me design the "Sstavix" skin I now wear in-game. Plus, it's my playing around with the modern conspiracy theory about "the reptiles" wearing costumes to walk among humanity. ;) ))
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Haha yeah cobblestone won't really get you anywhere. All cobblestone can do for ya is being a defense shield. Even then the skeleton will probably one way or another find it's way around the cobblestone. Unless you are completely covered by it. :)

Thanks for the explanation by the way! I figured parts like the costume and extremely detailed skeleton fight were added to add some detail and coolness to the story.

1.12 is here!

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
LOL with the cobblestone. I can't wait for more of these stories.

At one point in the early 1.8 map, creepers were turned off entirely. They just stood there trying to explode. It was very easy to get music discs, and the "Music Era" began. Creepers were changed so they could explode again late in the 1.8 map. With the armor changes in 1.9, creepers are even more deadly.
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
In my opinion the armor hasn't really changed a whole lot. At least to effect me.

1.12 is here!