NaNoWriMo 2013

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Chozon1 wrote:I'm finding out that I hadn't really ironed out a story, just a basic idea. So I'm constantly writing stuff, then being like "OK...why did you write that?" XD

Need to plan something, I suppose.
Why? Just write whatever comes to mind! You may end up with a huge, messy, surreal ball of nonsense, but it seems like that sells these days, too....

Sometimes it's not about the destination. A lot o the time, it's merely having fun with your brain while you get to where you're going. If you do end up with a work that you're sure wouldn't sell even if you edit it into something different, don't worry about it! At least you had fun! And you can pick through what you created later, when you're working on another piece. (I've had one idea for a novel that I've considered but never fully fleshed out. I'm thinking that I may be able to weave in some of the characters and plot elements from that story into the one I'm writing now, though. Nothing wrong with rescuing scraps from the garbage bin when it comes to writing.)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
In principle, I understand that. And agree to it. I've even done it before, especially with songs.

But...I dunno. I get the feeling I'll be terribly disappointed if I reach the end without a cohesive story. XD I'm not aiming for something I'm able to publish, just a cohesive story. One I can polish up and share, perhaps. Like a contraption I've built.
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
I've been working on an original novel called CubeWorld. I haven't had the time to do much with it lately, so this would be a good opportunity to stretch those writing muscles. I guess I'm a little late this year, so I might do it next year. Thanks for posting about it! :mrgreen:

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin
Sstavix
CCGR addict
baconisgood23 wrote:I've been working on an original novel called CubeWorld. I haven't had the time to do much with it lately, so this would be a good opportunity to stretch those writing muscles. I guess I'm a little late this year, so I might do it next year. Thanks for posting about it! :mrgreen:
Next year we'll have to challenge each other, too. :)

Things are going along quite well for me this year. I didn't get any writing done today, but as of this posting, I'm at 48,744 words. The 50,000 word mark is within easy reach... and even better, I'd estimate that I'm only about 2/3 to 3/4 done with my novel. Considering how most publishers won't even consider your work unless it's at least 80,000, this is pretty good.

Well, word wise, it's pretty good. From a grammatical standpoint, I'm pretty sure it's a big piece of garbage. I can tell while writing it that this novel will need some pretty heavy-duty editing. I've relied a lot on the "being verbs" (is am are was were be been being) that lead to a rather passive, weak narrative. And I'm sure that I've used the phrase "Soandso nodded" to begin many paragraphs. I've noticed in the past that I tend to use that a lot. It makes me wonder, if someone ever makes a movie adaptation of my movie, they don't need to hire actors. Just fill the screen with bobblehead dolls and shake the table occasionally.

So yes, my first draft is a big mess. But you know what? That's perfectly all right. Because it's a big mess I didn't have on November 1. And once I have the mess finished, straightened out and polished, I'm pretty sure it's going to be marketable. It's a bit like dumping out a pile of Legos onto a table. Those aren't going to build a scale model of the mining ship Red Dwarf by itself. It'll take some work, but in the end, it'll be worth it.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
baconisgood23 wrote:I've been working on an original novel called CubeWorld. I haven't had the time to do much with it lately, so this would be a good opportunity to stretch those writing muscles. I guess I'm a little late this year, so I might do it next year. Thanks for posting about it! :mrgreen:
May want to be careful. CubeWorld is also the name of an open-world exploration game by Picroma.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
stained4ever
Noob
Noob
When I was nine, I thought I did the NaNoWriMo cuz I wrote a five page book XD.