Behold, the body of Adonis and the brain of a squirrel.

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Fair enough, I usually go for ambiguous endings because I've always found it more fun to draw your own conclusions. lol

How do you feel about games that pull the rug out from under you and throw twists that you weren't at all expecting at you?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I like solid conclusions. I'd actually rather have a bad ending than no ending at all. See: 1980's The Thing.

Depending on the plot twist, I like it. Dead Space: Extraction turning the space zombies I'd just slaughtered into people, and making the character the insane murderer? Not a fan.

Second Sight? Holy crinkle fries. Huge fan. So huge a fan that I could create a breeze for the state of Wisconsin.
Spoiler:
You play as a psychic skeptic who basically denies his own powers...until he is experimented on, loses his memory for six months, and learns to become a psychic master when he wakes up, just by the necessity of surviving. You spend the game trying to find out what happened to your team six months ago, having flashbacks when traumatic events happen in the present and unlocking your latent abilities as you go.

The end of the game, you basically die horribly while confronting the bad guy...and then time stops. You realize that your present is actually the future, seen through your final/first psychic ability of precognition, and that the 'flashbacks' are actually the present day. So you can avert all the horrible things you've just lived through, save your team, save the world...because those things haven't happened yet.

/floored.

I still get the chills, actually, because I never saw that coming. That game was vastly under rated.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Never played Second Sight, but I have wanted to, so...not reading that. No offense, but I wanna see it for myself. XD

So Danganronpa V3 has impressed me yet again with its second investigation theme. Have a listen:

What do you think?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
No. Don't even kinda click the spoiler. :O Succinctly, that game is vastly under rated and you should play it now. Like...it's worth buying an old PS2 for. It was a game I bought because it was interesting and I'd heard good things about it...did not expect it to be awesome.

You know, I rather liked that. It's...sort of a mini opera. It tells a story, between the brass and metal guitar work. They play off each other, then intertwine. Good stuff.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I actually happen to have an old PS2 hooked up to my TV. Might go hit up a Retro store tomorrow (It kinda hurts that the PS2 is considered retro in some circles now, lol. Not to mention that I have to go to either retro stores or non-chain stores to find games for the OG Xbox and PS2).

And yeah, I like the interplay in the song quite a bit. Masafumi Takada is an excellent composer. Speaking of, he composed the soundtrack for a game called God Hand. While I never played it and it doesn't really look to be my thing, the OST is awesome.

Take this, for example:

Thoughts?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do it. But be forgiving...Second Sight is excellent, but not as flawless as a fanboy might paint it. The gunplay was...not bad, but it got tiresome, I guess is the right word. Been awhile since I've played it, but the camera was a little wonky too.

Frankly, as I find myself moving slowly into the realm of the aged gamer, I'm not annoyed at people calling the PS2/GCN/Xbox gen retro. Nor am I bothered when people complain about older games as hard or just plain bad. It's true, half the time. It just is. Especially with 'classic' PC games. But I find myself grunting at even stuff like...Half Life. Games have just progressed so far since then in a hundred different little ways of polish and feel that it's hard going back sometimes.

What bothers me is punk kids calling themselves a 'serious gamer' when all they do is play Minecraft...on a tablet. :O You serious punk? If you weren't twelve, we'd have words right now.

That...is basically just a remix of the Hawaii Five-O theme song. XD I like it, especially the 70's guitar vibes, but yeah...it's like he just switched the high notes with lower ends of the scale, and replaced the brass with a guitar.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
That's a fair assessment, I'm just noting that it makes feel old to realize that the PS2 came out almost 18 years ago. :O

And yeah, that song is basically a Hawaii Five-O reworking. But I like it so much. XD

Here's another from the God Hand OST that is a little more original:

Thoughts?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm. Seems off, somehow. Because I distinctly remember the 16 bit era with both a SNES and a Genesis 3, and then getting a PS1 and having access to a N64 at my friends house. But I have trouble imagining myself playing those consoles when I was less than ten. Yet I also know that I took part in the Gamecube generation early in its lifespan, which means I had to have been at least less than 12. Dang. What was babby Chozon doing playing Perfect Dark? :O

It also means I have been playing games for over 21 years, because I got my SNES (Well. I and my two sisters) for my 6th birthday. That's almost as long as I've been reading and slightly longer than I have been potty trained. O_o Dang, the deuce.

I liked it. Again, there's a distinctly 90's feel to the music. Reminds me of Megaman and every other 'hardcore action hero' type game back then. Great stuff. ^_^
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm a couple years younger than you, but I never got a SNES/Genesis. My parents were convinced video games were evil or something until after the N64 and PS1 launched, so those were my first systems. I've been gaming since I was like...6 as well. Dang yo.

Arguing over email is the worst?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
My parents are/were nerds. :P They still reminisce over their old Commodore 64 and Radar Rat Race. We had time limits on our gaming though, and it also provided excellent leverage. We didn't dare make trouble under the threat of losing our video games. It was surprisingly effective.

Arguing is the worst, for the most part. It would be nice if it wasn't so much fun to cheese people off when they've cheesed us off. I think I'd prefer arguing over e-mail though. Gives you time to come up with a rational response.

Or at the very least web access to you can verify/twist facts as needed.

-_-
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
My parents are/were not nerds. My dad was really into computers, but thought that games were a waste of time even when they weren't "evil" or whatever. So that was what I was dealing with, growing up. lol

While that is true about email, email also loses the concept of tone entirely. It's hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic, angry, or they just happen to be really blunt. Written communication is a bit lacking in that regard.

ALSO! I got a copy of Second Sight for the Xbox (it was half the price of the PS2 version at the retro store, and I have both my original Xbox and PS2). It's...interesting. The psychic power controls remind me of Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, while the gunplay is definitely...ehh. The graphics are definitely from that era of gaming though, lol. Character models are all kinds of janky-looking.

So I may have shown you this before, but this is the closing song to a visual novel I rather enjoyed. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not. It's a very difficult style to pin down. Also it's mostly in Japanese.

Thoughts?
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Favorite webcomics?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Deepfreeze32 wrote: My parents are/were not nerds. My dad was really into computers, but thought that games were a waste of time even when they weren't "evil" or whatever. So that was what I was dealing with, growing up. lol

While that is true about email, email also loses the concept of tone entirely. It's hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic, angry, or they just happen to be really blunt. Written communication is a bit lacking in that regard.

ALSO! I got a copy of Second Sight for the Xbox (it was half the price of the PS2 version at the retro store, and I have both my original Xbox and PS2). It's...interesting. The psychic power controls remind me of Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, while the gunplay is definitely...ehh. The graphics are definitely from that era of gaming though, lol. Character models are all kinds of janky-looking.

So I may have shown you this before, but this is the closing song to a visual novel I rather enjoyed. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not. It's a very difficult style to pin down. Also it's mostly in Japanese.
While that is true, if you are trying to actually have a discussion, it's quite possible to avoid tonal confusion. And you shouldn't be using sarcasm at all, without a tag or an emote. Succinctly, if someone is using sarcasm in an email argument, they probably don't want it resolved; they just want to argue with you. At which point it falls into the chasm of internet arguing, from which point there is no good nor return.

Cut bait and run.

And that's awesome. XD But you're right; as I said, you'll have to be forgiving. Many of the mechanics have been done better in newer games. It's the tale you're after. At least in the modern world; back then? No complaints. And I didn't play it for...I don't know. Had to have been six years after its release.

That was interesting. Feels like it would have meant more if I'd actually played/read the thing. Otherwise, it was kind of just like...the end of a movie. A credits song. Not bad though.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
evered wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 am Favorite webcomics?
I don't really have any. I don't know of any offhand besides GamerCat and...that one set in the SSBB universe. I can't even remember the name.

GamerCat is cool though. XD
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chozon1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am Feels like it would have meant more if I'd actually played/read the thing. Otherwise, it was kind of just like...the end of a movie. A credits song. Not bad though.
This is probably why I really like it. I finished that VN, and I got that song after finally completing all the routes and it just felt so glorious. Also the lyrics (at least the English lyrics) tied in with a somewhat-major plot point from the VN, which was awesome.

Here's the opening song to the VN. Maybe that will get a better reaction out of you since it's supposed to kick most of the thing off.

Thoughts?

P.S.:
Chozon1 wrote:that one set in the SSBB universe. I can't even remember the name.
Do you mean Brawl in the Family? I would link the website, but it appears to be down right now...