Ask a Question, Get Deep!

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Ehh, I don't like fighting without weapons. There's a reason D&D grappling rules were so awful. :P

Still probably the hose-sized duck. Single-target is only one to deal with, would probably be easier deal with a large duck than a bunch of angry tiny horses.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I dunno man...I've fought duck sized ducks, and I still have the scars...admittedly, most of them (all of them) are emotional. But still.

Needless to say, I disagree with you almost entirely about TFA. XD I loved the movie, and even more the second time. It actually had the opposite effect on me, since I can't get enough Star Wars now. I even, as a staunch disliker of JJ, thought he did passably well on this.

Eggplant?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I hate Eggplant. More than I hate J.J. Abrams for his awful second Star Trek movie and Star Wars movie.
Chozon1 wrote:Needless to say, I disagree with you almost entirely about TFA. XD I loved the movie, and even more the second time. It actually had the opposite effect on me, since I can't get enough Star Wars now. I even, as a staunch disliker of JJ, thought he did passably well on this.
I think part of the problem is the reaction my friends had. Never thought I'd see such toxicity from people I considered "friends." Here's the crap they flung at me, along with how I would respond to them, if I weren't so sick of hearing about Star Wars every dang day. XD

"You're sexist because you don't like Rey!"

Or...she's a badly-written character? Don't worry, everyone else is too.

"It doesn't matter if you thought the movie was bad, it is the best Star Wars movie since Empire."

False. The best Star Wars movie ever always has been and always will be the original. Empire is great, don't get me wrong, but the original is one of the closest examples to a perfect self-contained blockbuster we've ever gotten. Next.

"It was better than the prequels! We don't need to acknowledge the prequels anymore!" (For real, a friend posted something saying "I'm so glad these new movies are good and that they never made prequels." I hate it in Matrix fans, I hate it in Star Wars fans)

Star Wars /IS/ George Lucas. You can try to revise your way out of giving George any credit for the good things, but the fact of the matter is that Lucas created the Star Wars world and he put a ton of artistic passion into the movies, especially the prequels. Are the prequels "bad" movies? Conventionally, yeah. They've got problems, but to deny that they even exist? To claim they raped your childhood? You were never a Star Wars fan if you believe that. Meanwhile, Disney parades out a modern mediocre space fantasy movie as Star Wars, and people eat it up because they don't realize they're buying poorly-written fan fiction, or more depressingly, they don't care.

Movies are dying. Star Wars died as soon as Disney bought it.

"Well no one cares about your opinion!"

And this is why Star Wars fans are the literal worst. Fire and pox on all of them. Most Star Trek fans I've met are willing to have discussion about the Abrams travesties, and don't resort to insults. Literally the first thing I got when I said "I Thought the Force Awakens was mediocre at best" was "Your [sic] a ****ing moron." While it was on a YouTube video comment section (And therefore was not taken seriously, because YouTube), I actually had someone say they would kill me if they got they chance.

Abrams delivered boring fan fiction. The fans eat it up and cry for more. I weep, because art is dead.

No, it's not dead, but Star Wars most certainly is. I wish my reaction could have just been "It was a boring movie that had no soul. Next!" but the way I get crapped on ALL THE TIME, EVEN IN UNRELATED CONVERSATION for daring to besmirch the name of TFA is utterly insane. Star Wars fans can GDIAF. Except the people who have actually been pretty chill about discussing it, like you. You're cool. <3

And....rant over. For now. I'm sure another death threat will send me into another spiral of rage.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Greenhouses?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've never liked being in one (Because, y'know, heat and humidity), but the concept is one of those things that makes me proud of human ingenuity.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Greenhouse gases?
This is my signature
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Now those are problematic. Should probably start cutting those...
Yantelope
Noob
Noob
You're not entirely alone. I for one like the prequels and didn't much care for episode 7. Abraham's decision to shamelessly remake a new hope made the whole movie horribly predictable. Star wars fans are the worst. They claim to love star wars while hating George Lucas and 4 out of his 6 films.
Partyninja
Kendrik wrote:You know you've wanted to ask him all of your deepest, most heartfelt questions. Now. Ask them! :D
Okkkkk hmmmmm does blood and guts/surgical stuff make you sick? XD

Don't Judge me I love bleach!
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yantelope wrote:You're not entirely alone. I for one like the prequels and didn't much care for episode 7. Abraham's decision to shamelessly remake a new hope made the whole movie horribly predictable. Star wars fans are the worst. They claim to love star wars while hating George Lucas and 4 out of his 6 films.
Yeah. I mean, the prequels have problems, but they're still Star Wars movies. They have that "spark," you know? There's some really good stuff going on in the prequels, but it wasn't as refined and tempered as the originals, so Star Wars fans threw a hissy fit over them. I acknowledge the issues, but the attacks on George Lucas have just become trite by now. Move on, guys.

The other problem I have with Abrams is summed up in the following quote: "J.J. Abrams never met a mystery he couldn't telegraph from miles away"
Partyninja wrote:
Kendrik wrote:You know you've wanted to ask him all of your deepest, most heartfelt questions. Now. Ask them! :D
Okkkkk hmmmmm does blood and guts/surgical stuff make you sick? XD
Not really. In excess, sure. It depends on my mood that day. :P
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I've met some pretty...hardcore, let us say...Star Trek fans over the years. And I will leave it at that. XD

I think the problem is that you're not hanging out with real Star Wars fans. I know that sounds arrogant, but I've never met a real--meaning someone who loves the universe itself, not just the movies--Star Wars fan who hated the prequels. Most of the people I meet who open with "Man, those prequels are bad, amirite?" are 'fake' fans. They want to be nerdy, or pretend like they're huge scifi fans, but probably don't know Picards last name, let alone the homeworld of the Wookiees. -_- So they pretend by using Star Wars buzzwords, since pretending to be a Trek fan is a much more difficult process, and might push them over the border into being actual nerds.

They also usually say stuff like "Yeah...but Han Shot First!" as if those two phrases are the ID card ushering them into the nerd club. I know this because my sister, a huge Harry Potter/Game of Thrones fan but otherwise largely mocking of nerdiness, tried to pull a HSF with a wink/nudge to let me know how geeky she was. I think the horror was written across my face, because she hasn't said it again.

No. Those are not true Star Wars fans. Nor are the people who say dumple like "The prequels don't exist". I hate that. I really do. Even if I didn't enjoy the movies, that's sheer idiocy...even in jest. I saw a timeline guide for Star Wars: Rogue one, with a little flow chart that had the preguels labeled with 'we don't need to care about these now', and it grated my nerves for the rest of the day. XD

I don't like the last Harry Potter book. I guess I should pretend it doesn't exist? Now I'm not the authority of whether you're a fan or not, but next time someone says "But Han shot first. I wish he'd shot the prequels though, amirite?" I will beat them with my Ultrasaber while dressed in my Jedi robe. I don't care if I have to drive home, get it, and drive back, there will be a lightsabering before the day is done. >_> Basically, find some true fans...and youtube commenting is always a bad idea. It never ends with less than rage.

That said, I still disagree with you almost entirely. :D Might be because I don't ever examine a movie from an 'artistic' point of view. Might be because I just don't think the same way. I like Rey, and I look forward to seeing who she is. I like Finn, because a reformed Stormtrooper is a cool idea. And I liked the shiny aspect of the universe. Most of the dichotomy, I firmly believe, is due to the technologically improvements in cinema in the last 30-40 years. It's easier to make a sleek ship now than it was back then, and overall, I think they did a pretty good job preserving the sort of grimy status. In the case of the rebellion ships, it's probably because they are new, given that most of the old ones got blown up in the Endor incident.

I think the point of this movie was to pass the torch and start a new story arch; nothing more, nothing less. And knowing that they're making more sequels (which wasn't a surety in the time of the OG; that is, I think, precisely why the movie is entirely self contained. Lucas didn't know if he was going to be able to make another. XD), I can live with the unsolved mysteries.

Plus, more Star Wars. That and that alone is a huge thing for me. The franchise isn't dead, the world is being expanded, and the story isn't over. <3
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chozon1 wrote:I've met some pretty...hardcore, let us say...Star Trek fans over the years. And I will leave it at that. XD

I think the problem is that you're not hanging out with real Star Wars fans. I know that sounds arrogant, but I've never met a real--meaning someone who loves the universe itself, not just the movies--Star Wars fan who hated the prequels. Most of the people I meet who open with "Man, those prequels are bad, amirite?" are 'fake' fans. They want to be nerdy, or pretend like they're huge scifi fans, but probably don't know Picards last name, let alone the homeworld of the Wookiees. -_- So they pretend by using Star Wars buzzwords, since pretending to be a Trek fan is a much more difficult process, and might push them over the border into being actual nerds.

They also usually say stuff like "Yeah...but Han Shot First!" as if those two phrases are the ID card ushering them into the nerd club. I know this because my sister, a huge Harry Potter/Game of Thrones fan but otherwise largely mocking of nerdiness, tried to pull a HSF with a wink/nudge to let me know how geeky she was. I think the horror was written across my face, because she hasn't said it again.

No. Those are not true Star Wars fans. Nor are the people who say dumple like "The prequels don't exist". I hate that. I really do. Even if I didn't enjoy the movies, that's sheer idiocy...even in jest. I saw a timeline guide for Star Wars: Rogue one, with a little flow chart that had the preguels labeled with 'we don't need to care about these now', and it grated my nerves for the rest of the day. XD

I don't like the last Harry Potter book. I guess I should pretend it doesn't exist? Now I'm not the authority of whether you're a fan or not, but next time someone says "But Han shot first. I wish he'd shot the prequels though, amirite?" I will beat them with my Ultrasaber while dressed in my Jedi robe. I don't care if I have to drive home, get it, and drive back, there will be a lightsabering before the day is done. >_> Basically, find some true fans...and youtube commenting is always a bad idea. It never ends with less than rage.
Thank you. I needed a voice of reason amidst the chaos. XD That picture, too, annoyed me. I was THIS close to retorting to it...but I don't have the energy anymore. All of my friends (Well, most of them anyway) are what you describe: 'fake' fans. I dislike being on the hate train with them, because they're otherwise cool people...
That said, I still disagree with you almost entirely. :D Might be because I don't ever examine a movie from an 'artistic' point of view. Might be because I just don't think the same way. I like Rey, and I look forward to seeing who she is. I like Finn, because a reformed Stormtrooper is a cool idea. And I liked the shiny aspect of the universe. Most of the dichotomy, I firmly believe, is due to the technologically improvements in cinema in the last 30-40 years. It's easier to make a sleek ship now than it was back then, and overall, I think they did a pretty good job preserving the sort of grimy status. In the case of the rebellion ships, it's probably because they are new, given that most of the old ones got blown up in the Endor incident.

I think the point of this movie was to pass the torch and start a new story arch; nothing more, nothing less. And knowing that they're making more sequels (which wasn't a surety in the time of the OG; that is, I think, precisely why the movie is entirely self contained. Lucas didn't know if he was going to be able to make another. XD), I can live with the unsolved mysteries.

Plus, more Star Wars. That and that alone is a huge thing for me. The franchise isn't dead, the world is being expanded, and the story isn't over. <3
Hey, if you like it, more power to you. I'm not saying anyone should dislike it (And I do apologize for coming off that way sometimes), but that I had a harder time suspending my disbelief than other people I know. I kept questioning why things were happening, and, well, let's say that's not a good idea for a J.J. Abrams film. XD

I've always been a super analytical person (Hence my adoration of the first film), but I can get down and watch the prequels now and then. Even though I hate the love story in Episode II, Obi Wan's story is actually really awesome. He's basically "Kenobi, PI" and Lucas fully embraces pastiches of the detective genre to do it. It's so clever. And even the love story wasn't bad, I just wish there wasn't the awkward "I hate sand" kind of dialogue. The prequels are flawed movies with fascinating visuals and cool stories. And they are just as "Star Wars" as the original trilogy.

I just didn't get that same feeling from TFA. I think it's because Lucas wasn't involved, and I've come to see his "fingerprints" on the movies, and associate that particular set of characteristics with Star Wars. But I'm happy you did, and you're not a outright prequel-bashing....weirdo. Ok, maybe you're a weirdo, but you're a cool weirdo. It's nice to peacefully disagree with someone who also doesn't invalidate my opinion based on how I feel about other movies in the series. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I just didn't get that same feeling from TFA. I think it's because Lucas wasn't involved, and I've come to see his "fingerprints" on the movies, and associate that particular set of characteristics with Star Wars. But I'm happy you did, and you're not a outright prequel-bashing....weirdo. Ok, maybe you're a weirdo, but you're a cool weirdo. It's nice to peacefully disagree with someone who also doesn't invalidate my opinion based on how I feel about other movies in the series. XD
Yeah, I was gonna say...it's a bad day when someone threatening to dress as a Jedi and bludgeon people with a plastic lightsaber is a "voice of reason". XD

I do find the romance (and the name "Attack of the Clones") painful in episode II. Even embarrassing...but it had to happen at some point. And the lightsaber fight at the end is probably the greatest lightsaber battle in the series. Overall, I think it's the weakest of the movies, but it's still good. And yeah, I really like Obi-wans role in that. It's especially poignant after watching the Clone Wars, where the whole Syfo-Dias/Darth Tyranus angle is explained.

So, overall, no complaints. Except for the death of Qui-Gon...I'll complain about that all day.

So...the new Star Trek series?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chozon1 wrote:
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I just didn't get that same feeling from TFA. I think it's because Lucas wasn't involved, and I've come to see his "fingerprints" on the movies, and associate that particular set of characteristics with Star Wars. But I'm happy you did, and you're not a outright prequel-bashing....weirdo. Ok, maybe you're a weirdo, but you're a cool weirdo. It's nice to peacefully disagree with someone who also doesn't invalidate my opinion based on how I feel about other movies in the series. XD
Yeah, I was gonna say...it's a bad day when someone threatening to dress as a Jedi and bludgeon people with a plastic lightsaber is a "voice of reason". XD

I do find the romance (and the name "Attack of the Clones") painful in episode II. Even embarrassing...but it had to happen at some point. And the lightsaber fight at the end is probably the greatest lightsaber battle in the series. Overall, I think it's the weakest of the movies, but it's still good. And yeah, I really like Obi-wans role in that. It's especially poignant after watching the Clone Wars, where the whole Syfo-Dias/Darth Tyranus angle is explained.

So, overall, no complaints. Except for the death of Qui-Gon...I'll complain about that all day.
I think I'd respectfully disagree in deferment to the final battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, but it wasn't bad here.
So...the new Star Trek series?
I'm cautiously excited. J.J. Abrams has no involvement (For now, please oh please oh please stay that way). The rumors are that it's to be set in the prime universe (The non-Abramsverse) between TOS and TNG, and to cap it off, the writers they chose are excellent. The showrunner is Brian Fuller, who wrote some good DS9 and Voyager episodes. Not great ones, but not the bad ones (Complete list here). And Nicholas Meyer, the writer/director of Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is one of the co-writers.

I can't wait.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Mead?
This is my signature