Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
So...I have a Computer Science question of sorts.

Next semester, I get to take a lab science about Electronics, Calculus II, Object-Oriented Programming, and a few other courses. I have the option to take a Databases course, or an Operating Systems course. The Databases course is offered all year, but the Operating Systems course is Spring-Only. Normally, I'd go with OS simply because it makes more sense. However, I'm balancing it with a Lab Science, Calculus II, and OOP. Plus, I'm currently in Computer Organization (Which deals with Assembly, structure, and architecture), and am struggling through it. Our current assignment has me stumped, and I fear that taking OS (Which supposedly has elements of Comp Org in it) alongside those courses could be committing academic suicide.

Any thoughts?

Further, my Comp Org assignment deals with input handling, and using the Interrupter. My teacher failed to explain it very well, so I'm completely clueless on how to proceed. The general gist of the assignment is to write a library in Assembly to handle keyboard input. The library has to consist of four functions, which open the keyboard for use, check if input is available, get the character (Don't do anything with it, just pass it), and close the keyboard. Input is stored in an array of size 15, which means the function to determine if input is available returns false if the buffer is full. The issue for me is that I have no idea how to even begin, especially since our teacher was super vague about the Interrupt Service Routine, and whether we were supposed to use the default he provides or make our own. Any general tips and/or thoughts on using the Interrupter in this manner, and designing the library? I feel like I am capable of programming this, just that I have no clue on where to even begin.

Sorry for the long-winded posts. :P
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:So...I have a Computer Science question of sorts.

Next semester, I get to take a lab science about Electronics, Calculus II, Object-Oriented Programming, and a few other courses. I have the option to take a Databases course, or an Operating Systems course. The Databases course is offered all year, but the Operating Systems course is Spring-Only. Normally, I'd go with OS simply because it makes more sense. However, I'm balancing it with a Lab Science, Calculus II, and OOP. Plus, I'm currently in Computer Organization (Which deals with Assembly, structure, and architecture), and am struggling through it. Our current assignment has me stumped, and I fear that taking OS (Which supposedly has elements of Comp Org in it) alongside those courses could be committing academic suicide.

Any thoughts?
What level is the DB course? I ask because if it's reasonably low-level I'd definitely go that route... Not only because it would probably balance better with your other classes, but because Databases are a much more widely used skillset that will server you better in the long run unless you intend for your career to focus on OS design and implementation. I'm a web developer and even in that I use my database skills and for much more than simple form data persistence.
Deepfreeze32 wrote: Further, my Comp Org assignment deals with input handling, and using the Interrupter. My teacher failed to explain it very well, so I'm completely clueless on how to proceed. The general gist of the assignment is to write a library in Assembly to handle keyboard input. The library has to consist of four functions, which open the keyboard for use, check if input is available, get the character (Don't do anything with it, just pass it), and close the keyboard. Input is stored in an array of size 15, which means the function to determine if input is available returns false if the buffer is full. The issue for me is that I have no idea how to even begin, especially since our teacher was super vague about the Interrupt Service Routine, and whether we were supposed to use the default he provides or make our own. Any general tips and/or thoughts on using the Interrupter in this manner, and designing the library? I feel like I am capable of programming this, just that I have no clue on where to even begin.

Sorry for the long-winded posts. :P
Meh that wasn't too long winded. :D

If I had to do something like that I'd start by doing a little research on the system's addresses and ports, since, if I understand this right, the keyboard is going to be mapped to specific range of port addresses. That's probably going to be the hardest part to plan ahead because it's the part that requires you to interact with other facilities you don't directly control. There should be a set of available system calls through your operating system that allow you to access those things by way of the OS API, although I'm not an assembly programmer so I'm only guessing on that.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Don Quixote?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Don Quixote?
Maybe... he might be an ancestor of mine...
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Weird.

You tilt at power lines?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Of course.

Don't you? O_o
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Not since I discovered 18th century style statues. They, I feel, are much more deserving of the wrath of mine invincible arm.

Gragglepants?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
They don't make 'em in my size.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I just sewed two pairs together for me. They fit like a nightmare.

Kirby?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Oh please no...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

How can you not like the little puffball?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That's like asking "How can you not like Easter Peeps?"

*shudder*
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
...um...yeah...hate those things...

We'll do all our thinking out loud, and wait for daylight?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Talking in one's sleep is not good if they've got secrets to hide...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Everyone has secrets.

When did "keeping a secret" become "tell only a few people you can trust"? O_o