Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
About the time facebook became popular...
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Facebook needs to die in a flaming conflagration of fiery doom. >_>

Not to sound noobish, but I've been thinking over the idea of trying to get into Warhammer (undecided whether to go Warhammer, or 40K) because it sounds bossome. I don't have any one to play with at the moment, but that aside, what are your thoughts?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Facebook needs to die in a flaming conflagration of fiery doom. >_>

Not to sound noobish, but I've been thinking over the idea of trying to get into Warhammer (undecided whether to go Warhammer, or 40K) because it sounds bossome. I don't have any one to play with at the moment, but that aside, what are your thoughts?
Warhammer (Both versions) are both incredibly awesome but incredibly expensive. If you're looking for someone to play with, a good way to search for someone is to go onto www.games-workshop.com. They have a section where you can search for local gaming stores, whether they're actual Games Workshop stores or not. Usually stores like that have gaming tables and times when people gather for open gaming or events. That'd be a good way to meet people who are into the game and see how the different armies play before you start funneling money into it.

If money is an issue, less expensive but equally awesome is Warmachine or Hordes by Privateer Press. (You can still find a game by using the Games Workshop site, since the non-GW shops have open gaming for all systems and Warmachine/Hordes is on the rise in a big way.

If even that's too expensive, you can go Malifaux, which is also awesome, for which you can find everything you need for a game for less than $100.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Duuuuuuuude. There's a GW factory store within an hour of my home. XD So awesome. I could go up there and smell the air before I buy stuff.

Warmachine looks good though...Steampunky, almost. Price enters into it only sorta...it'd be my Christmas gift this year to start with, and I'm hoping to get off my lazy biscuit and get a jaerb next year.

I was considering getting one of the 'starter kit' type things, like Assault on Black Reach or Island of Blood, and a Hobby starter set for paint and such...But I'm not entirely certain whether it'd be better to do that or just pick an army.

Halp?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Well, personally I'd avoid those starter boxes unless you have someone to go in with you on it. My wife and son bought the Idle of Blood because he was starting a High Elf army and she was starting a Skaven army... and it worked out but the armies aren't actually legal by the rules, so you'd have to buy some other stuff anyway to make your armies rules compliant for playing against others. Besides, you may not even want to play one of the armies that come in the box.

Best bet: Go hang out at the shop a while and observe a game or two from each system. Try not to let the sales guy push you into anything, and see what armies interest you. Do you like Sci fi or fantasy? Do you like lots of troops in a horde type force or do you like a small group of elite warriors? Aliens? Power armor?

Heck, they sell novels there set in the universes of the game. Maybe check one out and see if it inspires you. After all, it's a lot to paint so staying motivated is important :wink: In Warhammer Fantasy, I play Bretonnians... They're patterned after Arthurian legend so it's all knights & chivalry and devotion to their religion. In 40k I play Black Templars... Angry devoted Space Marines who hate heretics and are utterly loyal to their religion. (In short, in any such game if there's a religious zealot faction, I play it.)

Warmachine is magic + Steampunk. I only recently started playing it and it's pretty fun. Smaller army sizes = less to paint and less to buy. Only problem is Games Workshop staff get hostile if you bring it up at the GW store. (In Warmachine... yep... I play the zealots... Protectorate of Menoth...)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Main thing that appeals to me about the box sets is that I could perhaps convince someone in my fambly to play with me. I hadna considered the difficulty that comes from having a spare squad I never use. Nor did I know it wasn't legal for normal play.

I guess I'ma have to see if I can go by one of the shops. I've watched a few battles on youtube, and it seems fun. Just don't know if that's helpful to determining which army I would fight better with.

How hard is it to learn the various rules and such?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Main thing that appeals to me about the box sets is that I could perhaps convince someone in my fambly to play with me. I hadna considered the difficulty that comes from having a spare squad I never use. Nor did I know it wasn't legal for normal play.

I guess I'ma have to see if I can go by one of the shops. I've watched a few battles on youtube, and it seems fun. Just don't know if that's helpful to determining which army I would fight better with.

How hard is it to learn the various rules and such?
It depends on you, mainly. If you enjoy learning a new rules system or if you've done it a lot, it isn't bad. The most challenging part for me is the little nuances. It's a complex game so sometimes the way things interact can be a little weird. The only way to really learn is by doing. :D

Actually, if you're going to a GW shop they're usually happy to run you through a demo game. It's part of the sales pitch, of course, but it's free and you don't have to buy anything.

The only thing that makes the armies in the box set illegal for normal play is that the rules that govern the way an army is built sort of requires certain proportions.... Which the armies in the box don't satisfy, which is why if you want to play a normal game ya gotta buy other units to make it work. The models themselves are perfectly legal in game. A friend of mine just got that set to start his High Elf army just like my son did, and my son boosted his force with a unit of spearmen and some extra archers, while my friend bought some additional light cavalry. Both of their armies are now legal armies yet done in different ways. I think that's the coolest part of the game... Your army is unique to you and it's fun to design your force.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Oh...so I'd just have to buy another unit or sommat? That may not be so bad. Assuming I like either Orks or Space Marines.

A bigger issue would be finding a Warmachine game. Steampunk=win. Though there are a few other gaming shops around. I'm actually somewhat more interested in it than Warhammer. Mah cheapness is biting my ankle. >_>

Can you do costum paint jobs or do you have to stick to a standard?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Oh...so I'd just have to buy another unit or sommat? That may not be so bad. Assuming I like either Orks or Space Marines.
Pretty much. I forgot to mention earlier that each army in the game has its own book with its own special rules for how that particular faction works and the way to build an army of that type. The box sets don't come with that book, only a booklet on how to use what's in the box to create a basic force. So once you pick the army you want to play, the first step is to get the army book (or Codex, as it's called in 40k) for that army and use it to figure out what your options are.
Chozon1 wrote: A bigger issue would be finding a Warmachine game. Steampunk=win. Though there are a few other gaming shops around. I'm actually somewhat more interested in it than Warhammer. Mah cheapness is biting my ankle. >_>
Me too, brother. I am continuing to play Warhammer but I'm on a buying freeze with it with the new baby coming and all the wife won't be going back to work so we have to be careful about the $$$. My Warmachine force, right now, is 15 models. That's smaller than an average single unit in Warhammer. I have a unit of Bretonnian Men-at-Arms that's 30 guys and my knight units average around 10 or so plus characters. In my Black Templars, my marine units are 10 strong each and I can field 4 of them in a single game and that's just my basic troop options.

Big games like that are a lot of fun fun but they really shred your bank account.

My Malifaux crew is 7 models.
Chozon1 wrote: Can you do costum paint jobs or do you have to stick to a standard?
Custom paint jobs are definitely encouraged. Who wants to play an army that looks exactly like the next guy's? Conversions are also encouraged highly. The General in my Bretonnian army is a kitbash of a regular knight, a metal character model, some parts I cut off and replaced from other models, and I'm thinking of adding some more parts from some accessories from another manufacturer. I have another Bretonnian Paladin whose backstory is that he's the son of an Empire knight, so some of the parts I used to build him came from my son's leftover Empire knights parts. As long as it's clear what a model is supposed to be, the only limit is your imagination.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Congrats on the new kid. ^_^

The main issue with Warmachine is finding a game. The local game shop may not even sale the models, and I know that the GW factory store wouldna be happy about playing in there. XD After several childhood experiences, I'm leery of buying a game that I wouldna be able to play with others. I figure Warhammer or 40K (maybe even the LOTR series) would be easier, since there is the big store. But hopefully I'ma be in college next year, so I may be able to find a club or something there.

That's really cool that you're able to do custom (spelled it right that time. XD) paint, and even modeling. Can you do backstories too?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Congrats on the new kid. ^_^
Thanks!
Chozon1 wrote: The main issue with Warmachine is finding a game. The local game shop may not even sale the models, and I know that the GW factory store wouldna be happy about playing in there. XD After several childhood experiences, I'm leery of buying a game that I wouldna be able to play with others. I figure Warhammer or 40K (maybe even the LOTR series) would be easier, since there is the big store. But hopefully I'ma be in college next year, so I may be able to find a club or something there.
Yeah Warhammer, especially 40k, is a pretty safe bet in terms of finding a game. Around here we have a Games Workshop Battle Bunker and a couple of independent gaming stores. I can play Warmachine or Malifaux at either of the independent places, but Warhammer can be played at all 3 and there's always a game going on.
Chozon1 wrote: That's really cool that you're able to do custom (spelled it right that time. XD) paint, and even modeling. Can you do backstories too?
Absolutely. That's what spurs the uniqueness of the force for most folks. The "counts as" rule is key. That means as long as your army plays on paper according to the rules, it can be any theme you want. For example, I know a guy who plays a Warhammer Fantasy army where he took an Empire army and reworked it so it looks like a Union regiment from the Civil War. Another guy I've heard of took a bunch of Squat models (Squats are space dwarves... GW hasn't supported them in almost 20 years) and used them to create an army using the Imperial Guard Codex. (As long as the minis were produced by Games Workshop, they're allowed at GW stores) so he essentially has a Squats army but it plays by the current rules.

I was working on a Vampire Counts army that was going to be 100% zombies (Except the General, who has to be a vampire.) At 4 points per model, a 1,000 point game (which is kinda small for Warhammer Fantasy) would have meant I'd have over 200 zombies on the table. I was going to call it the "Dawn of the Dead" zombie plague. I was also gonna pick one zombie and put it in the middle, and paint it to look like Michael Jackson from his "Thriller" video where he was dancing with a zombie horde. It would have been epic.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Duuuuude. XD That would've been so freaking awesome! Loooooot of painting though. O_o

Incidentally, I was wondering where the Dwarves disappeared to between Warhammer and 40K. Love me some dwarves.

So in theory, you could take a model from Warhammer or 40K, give it a themed paintjaerb, and have a Star Wars army or something?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Duuuuude. XD That would've been so freaking awesome! Loooooot of painting though. O_o
Indeed... but my plan was to get as many zombies as possible pre-pained from eBay or something, and then the rest painted during my gaming club's painting parties. I'd already had a few volunteers lined up.
Chozon1 wrote: So in theory, you could take a model from Warhammer or 40K, give it a themed paintjaerb, and have a Star Wars army or something?
Yepper. So if you wanted to take, say, Space Marines and paint them to look like Imperial Stormtroopers you could. The only thing is that it has to be clear which models have what gear, so if you had a unit of 10 guys with one of them having a missile launcher and another carrying a plasma gun, then the models themselves would have to reflect that clearly enough that there's no confusion or ambiguity.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pretty sure we just hit a 12 on the awesome scale. O_o

Is there much of a rule difference between Warhammer (dunno if this has a subword) and 40K, or if I get into one will I be able to use the skills in the other?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Pretty sure we just hit a 12 on the awesome scale. O_o

Is there much of a rule difference between Warhammer (dunno if this has a subword) and 40K, or if I get into one will I be able to use the skills in the other?
Yes and no... in both systems the statlines are the same... Ballistic Skill, Weapon Skill, Strength, Toughness, Initiative, and Leadership are on scales of 1 - 10, Movement and Wounds mean the same thing in both games, and both games have an armor save. The way models attack and do damage to each other is basically the same with a few nuances. The biggest difference is in the way units work. 40k is a skirmish game and the models come on round bases. That means they just sort of clump together and have a vague idea of unit coherency by having minimal distance between individual models in a unit. Fantasy models have rectangular bases because they fit together into tight unit formations, and a lot of rules revolve around the way these formations move, charge and so on.

Then, of course, Fantasy has magic, 40k has vehicles. The rules for those things obviously don't cross over. (Although rumor has it that the next edition of 40k may have a magic phase similar to Fantasy, only it would be about psychic abilities instead.)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens