THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Thanks!

I think it's time I finally got down to figuring out my knee joint design. That's the next big engineering challenge. I've seen how others do it but I'm not convinced their solution is how I want to go.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Awesome. XD I like the sword/shield emblem.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks. Not sure yet exactly what's going on the shield.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So I finally got some more 1/2" PEX T-connectors and used them to finish the skeleton structure in the thigh sections.

Next, I used PEX to stiffen the waist and used it as an anchor for the suspenders, which are made from 1 1/2" webbing. I used hot glue to attach them to the PEX frame and the straps are adjustable using parachute clips.

I also picked up some of the materials for making the knee joints (finally) so that will probably be my next step.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice work!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Yay! I was hoping for an update soon. XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks.

Yeah I'd slowed down a bit since I'm also trying to get my fantasy wargame army ready for our new campaign.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Well, my December break is over so I'll be back to the Forge directly. I got the hardware I need to do the knee joints (finally) so that'll be my next step.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So I cobbled together the knee joint just as a quick proof of concept. It's made from nickel bars, tube clamps and clevis pins. The nickel bars are attached to the PEX endoskeleton by plastic tube clamps (I haven't drilled the holes for the screws yet) and the bars pivot on the clevis pins, which I"ll need to shorten and add washers to.

When putting the armor on, I'll put the waist with thighs on first, then step into the boots and have a helper add the pins to the joints. It'll be easy to reach them through the front of the knee joint with the leg bent.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cool tapes. XD That seems like it would make your life easier too, since if I understood you aright, you'll not have to try and don all the armor while on the stilts, right?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Oh yeah there's just no way to put one of these suits on alone. Check out this video:

My knee joint design is similar to his.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
That is just way too cool. I want to giggle now. XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So I finally test fitted one leg with the knee joint in place to make sure that the overall length of the leg section fit properly to my body. It looks like it's just right. I don't have a picture yet but I'll take some after I complete both legs and finish the work on the joints. My knee is actually in the lower part of the thigh plate, right where it was meant to be. The top of the thigh plate comes to a little below the groin, which should leave a small gap with the lower torso section, though I can trim that if necessary. As it is I'm thinking about cutting down the piece that goes between my thighs because it chafes a bit even now when I'm wearing it.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Alright, break over.

I added the vents to the back of the lower leg sections. To do so, I cut the rectangular holes, then glues sheet styrene to patch them from the inside.

Then, I cut strips of foam shaped like prisms, and glued them to the styrene. They turned out really irregular and wonky and a first I didn't like it, but then I thought of how the metal slats on vents in real life often look after some wear and tear, and I think I like it. This is a relic 10,000 year old suit of artificer armor being represented, so stuff's gonna look busted up.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
haha good point on being busted up, looks good!