THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
So I was gonna take the day off from armoring today, but after seeing my buddy's success in the ComicCon contest I feel inspired.

Built a skeletal frame for the inside of the shin parts. This is to provide hard points for connecting the armor to other parts, and to help the foam keep its shape.

It's made from 1/2" PEX tubing.

Then I slipped the structure into the shin...

And since PEX doesn't adhere well to any normal adhesives, I made some retainers to hold it in place.

I ran out of PEX T-connectors (Home Depot only had 9 in stock) so I moved on to the belt. Did the belt buckle with the Templar Cross.

And here's the whole belt in place.

Not too bad for an afternoon's work, even after 3 hours of church, eh?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
like the belt! Nice work!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That looks amazing. O_o
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks!

Yesterday I ordered some webbing from Amazon which I will use to attach the boots to the shin plates as well as create a harness to hold the waist piece up. Maybe also hang the thigh plates form the waist that way as well.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Lots of progress the last couple of days.

I received the webbing I ordered and have attached it to the foot boards. This will be connected to the frame in the shin to support it and will have velcro so I can make adjustments as needed.

Then, I glued some foam on top of it. This will be the only time in the entire project where I'm using the foam for its original intended purpose!

That should help make it easier to stand around for a long time.

Also, I put together the upper chest piece (cuirass).

And this is me trying it on!

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Another test fit. Sorry the image is so shadowy.

So the straps to hold the bottoms of the shins in place seem like the velcro would work well, but the velcro adhesive itself won't stick well to the webbing so I'm going to use staples to secure the velcro to the webbing.

For the knee joint, I'm thinking of using metal rods on either side of each knee, with a pivot at the ends so they form a hinge. The metal rod or bar will be attached to the PEX skeleton inside the leg pieces.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Dang, that is just so amazing. XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Dude, there are days when I look over at my armor and think "I can't believe I'm frickin' doing this..."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I totally get that.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's coming along nicely, great job!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks! Hoping to start working on the arms tonight.

One thing I'm definitely going to need is cooling fans. Having the cuirass on was getting a bit warm, and when I put on the helmet all that heart was rising through the neck hole and up into the helmet, creating an oven. After only having it on for 5 minutes I was already starting to sweat.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I hate getting surrounded by hearts. :) be sure to stock up on deodorant. :P Perhaps wear shorts and a tank-top underneath?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:I hate getting surrounded by hearts. :)
:P
ccgr wrote: be sure to stock up on deodorant. :P Perhaps wear shorts and a tank-top underneath?
Yeah definitely not gonna have heavy clothing on under. I've been planning a couple of different cooling fan approaches. Right now I'm leaning toward the batteries in the feet with a couple of PC case fans connected to vents on the back of the cuirass, and a GPU fan in the helmet.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Ok here's a progress update. Got the arm components done. I am going to embellish the shoulder pauldrons like crazy, but here's the basic shape done.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Glorious. XD Those look great!