THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Got the armor done. Wore it to a con... So sore... so tired... pics to follow if I make it through the next 24 hours...

And yeah. It was WORTH IT.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
sorry for the soreness but glad it was worth it, looking forward to seeing the finished product!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Armor complete:

(sort of)

Pics from AwesomeCon are here.
Last edited by ArcticFox on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice work!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks! I didn't get too many pictures during the marathon Saturday, but I have some repairs and upgrades to do so I'll see about posting those pics for anyone who might be interested.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Awesome. ^_^ It looks great!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
fralle234
Noob
Noob
Interesting!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks. I plan to re-do the feet from scratch and make a few other modifications, which I'll document here.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Alright, so it's time to repair and upgrade the armor for the Halloween party at my church. I made a list of all the items needing attention and formed a checklist. Tonight, I worked on the right arm.

First, I needed to secure the flexible duct inside of the forearm where it hadn't been attached.

A little hot glue on the inside attaches it nicely. Note that there's duct tape on the end of the duct work, as hot glue won't adhere to well to the surface of the flexible duct alone.

Then I added some weathering and the first set of scripture. Black Templars are intensely religious so it makes sense. I took a scripture verse excerpt that I liked, translated it into Latin, and put it on the arm:

"Non ero fidens in brachium carneum" means "I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh." This is from The Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 4:34:

O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Tonight I did the same repair to the left arm, and added weathering/lettering.

This is from Exodus 22:24. It reads "My anger will be aroused, and I will kill you with the sword."

The full verse: "And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless."

I then finished the details on both of the gauntlets.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
nice work as always!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Many thanks!

I'm kind of dreading the rebuild of the feet but tentatively I plan on working that this weekend.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Now that I have a proper workshop, updates are coming...

Here's a couple of pics from last year's Church Halloween party...

Last edited by ArcticFox on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So now that I have a house and a place to store the armor properly, I built an armor stand out of some scrap wood and assembled the suit on it. There's been damage... The suit had previously been stored in a corner of my living room at the apartment so it got squished, knocked around, dropped, used as a cat house, etc. So now I can finally get to repairing and upgrading without worrying about my efforts being wasted.

A closeup. I really hate the aquilla on the chest. It was done in a hurry, the day before AwesomeCon last year, and needs to be replaced in a big way. I also want to add some details to the abdomen.

The full suit. You can see the right thigh piece came apart and needs to be repaired. I also plan to re-do the feet to a more stable platform than the PVC stilts. They're plenty sturdy, but too narrow and I am afraid of rolling my ankle while wearing the suit which would prettymuch guarantee a severe break.
Last edited by ArcticFox on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens