We madez a game! Sidescroller shoot'em'up + a puzzle

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Syksy
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey ya'all!

Sorry for not popping by for a while - been super busy writing my thesis, plus I also misplaced my shoulder by falling with my bicycle in February and been on a sick-leave. Just got a birthday congratulations e-mail from CCGR and I took it as a reminder from God to not lose contact to this forum :)

Anyway, I took a game programming course back in the Fall semester, and we made a combination of a shoot'em'up sidescroller and a puzzle game. It's really 2 different games packed into one. Both the games are based loosely on gravitation laws. I was responsible for the sidescroller part, it's partly retro but it's got some original ideas like an unique energy system for the spaceship plus a rotating turret tower. It's too bad the game maybe didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, as 2 (or I'd say 1 and ½) of the 4 members in our group decided to just slack off through the course without really contributing, so we were under-manned. So far I've contributed maybe 300+ hours to the project.

The game can be quite hard. Remember to recharge your shields, avoid bullets (move a lot) and use different velocity bullets for different enemies (blue basic enemy = high velocity, yellow = low velocity, red = any). Also use pulsars and gravitation from planets to manuever your bullets into where you're aiming 'em. Planets also give good cover. There's 3 maps and 3 bosses at the end of each map, good luck!

Currently only Windows build is available from the website:
http://www.laajala.fi/icarus
There's a YouTube gameplay video there too made by one of our project members, althought the graphics and content itself is outdated from what it is in the latest release (0.41). For example we added a lot of cool new explosions ;)

And I know... it's got loads of bugs still >_< forgive us! Worst part has been optimizing the PhysX -physics engine to work well with both slower and faster CPUs, as I coded in a bad manner in the beginning of the project and it's been really hard to fix it afterwards.
We might do an OS X build somewhere in the future, who knows. At least the game engine would support it.

Couple screenshots (first of the sidescroller, latter of the puzzle part):

Sidescroller:

Puzzle part:

I'm also working semi-actively on a Steampunk turn-based strategy game for the future, possibly using this same game engine since it's nice free integrated environment. So far I've made the game as a 2-player board game and am at the moment tuning the rules and units and everything in it. So far it's been promising, and by playing the boardgame I've already had the joy of playing the game for 50h+. Once all the fundamentals are set (and I got the motivation), I'll start making it for the PC. Hopefully at least :) we'll see, God allowing. Maybe if any of you are interested in the future, you can contact me in CCGR Steam group - I go by the nickname Syksy. Right now I'm working on the different factions and the metaworld above these 2-player conflicts (=single battles) and how to get them into the bigger picture so to say.

God bless! :)
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Glad your game is coming along nicely..what engine are you using?

Awesome on your thesis, bummer on your shoulder.

Did you have a good birthday?
Syksy
We were using the Unity3D engine. It's very neat for small-size game development and is very handy for developing small games for e.g. PC, Mac, iPhone OS and Android. However, as it is a very inflexible integrated environment for some game development, big scale games are troublesome to implement. But for example some Unity3D games are available from Steam; Max and the Magic Marker and Bob Came in Pieces are ones I've bought.

... and best of all, the non-pro version is 100% free. You can code in either Javascript-like language (not literally Javascript) or C Sharp. They also offer some 3d-models and other resources free of charge or by other means for producing your own commercial games. Plus they offer a community service for publishing your games through their networks taking 20% of income. Not bad for somebody trying their first steps in game development industry. I might try it out.

Thanks for asking about my birthday, it went fine :) first we ate at a restaurant owned by a Christian bro and then we went to see Black Swan with wife; I love Aronofsky's movie Requiem for A Dream, my favorite movie of all times - not because it'd be a fun movie to watch, but because in all its shockingness it just stops you. Black Swan was okay, but it was much more effective on my wife, who happens to be into dancing and also ex-gymnastics, so all the themes there really got into her. But still she thought it was a good movie.

Anyway, one year older again. Anxious to see what Lord has for me this year!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Awesome on Unity, I've played with it a little and by that I mean just a tutorial or two :)
Skogkatt
Noob
Noob
im checking it out!
Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that.

Martin Luther
Syksy
Glad you're trying it out!

It's been over a year since I posted this. You might want to check out my other Unity-game (physics puzzle) here: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/phpB ... 65&t=13198

In my opinion the latter game is much more better, development and gaming wise. It's a good thing I've learned much from these projects :)
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
I may go to Bramson ORT College in Forest Hills so I can learn Game Design and Programming. And since the Ouya is hackable, I can make Christian fighting games and stuff. And from the ideas I have, it will change the Fighting genre.......FOREVER........... 8)

But for now.........

Does anybody know some programming that is not something you have to pay for that can help me make some games for Mac/Windows PC?

Something that is cool and for free? And the website for tutorials?
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
So this is free, works for Mac and Windows, has tutorials and is easy to learn.

-----EDIT-------

Darn, it works only for windows....... I have Flash CS5.5 but I'm still kinda learning how to use that.......I'm lost.....
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it can work in Mac but better in Windows from my experience. Lots of tutorials.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Okay. I'll see what it can do. Even though I can only get the demo.

Just downloaded it. Opened the file. All I see is a bunch of text. :|

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it should have an installer and all of that :\
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Well, I downloaded the demo and opened the file. All I saw was I bunch of text I did not understand. :|

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
maybe the download was corrupt :\
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
mmmmmmmmppphhhhh..........

I think it just works only for windows......... :|

― Criss Jami