Cumberbatch Not A Fan of the Christian Right in the US

Talk about your favorite books, movies, music, TV shows, and other non-gaming forms of entertainment here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Well, Elementary is a better show, so I won't miss much skipping the next season of Sherlock.

Link.

I didn't know that Christians were chemically castrating gays in the US. Figured that would have come up in the newsletter we all get with the addresses for that week's lynchings and abortion clinic bombings.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
You'll excuse me if I find the link (And subsequently the claims) a little dubious. When a site declares itself to be "Exposing and combating" bias, that generally implies a very strong oppositional bias. Bias is always there, though. Journalism is picking and choosing information to tell your viewership. If people are biased (And make no mistake; we all are), then journalism will be biased.

I think this piece, though written from a U.K. perspective, said it best (Emphasis mine):
Of course, all journalism is biased, because all human beings are biased. As Richard Dawkins struggled to understand recently, there is no such thing as a simple statement of fact. News editing by definition involves choosing, organising and highlighting information, and all of those choices are subjective. Why, at the time of writing, are the BBC leading on Syria? The most shared and read articles on the site are currently "Assault charges for Rolf Harris" and "E-mail error ends up on road sign," so clearly it’s not simply a question of reader priorities; an editor at the BBC made a value judgment that Syria was more important, and that’s a form of bias. Until our robot overlords take charge, it’s inevitable.

So in which direction is the BBC biased? Two studies published in the last couple of weeks tried to answer that question. The right-wing Centre for Policy Studies (CPS) released an analysis "proving" that the BBC was left wing, while academics from Cardiff University – funded by the BBC Trust – discovered that the BBC was, in fact, right wing. Both agree that there’s a bias then, just in opposite directions.
Again, written from a U.K. perspective on U.K. journalism and politics, but I think the message about the media and bias can be applied to America.

Anyway, that doesn't have too much else to do with the actual topic. I tried watching Elementary, and I just couldn't get into it. Sherlock, with Gatiss and Moffat at the helm, sure isn't perfect. But it was just a such better-written and better-acted show...the dynamic between Freeman and Cumberbatch just works, man.
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
If you think the quoted portions are suspect, why didn't you investigate the links to the original interview the report provided? You opted, instead, to scoff at the source, and then move on to talk on length on bias, without determining whether the linked story was impacted by bias.

That just says a lot about your own bias, does it not?

And Elementary is a better examination of Holmes and Watson as characters in the real world (Miller's depiction is far more nuanced than Cumberbatch's, and Liu's Watson is a fully realized person, unlike Freeman's, who exists pretty much to stand slack-jawed in awe of Holmes' brilliance), creates a realistic world where everyone but Holmes isn't blindingly incompetent, and the world doesn't revolve around Holmes, and holds up to scrutiny far better than anything Moffat or Gatiss writes.

Which is also Moffat's largest weaknesses on Doctor Who.

Moffat's Doctor Who and Sherlock work so long as you don't stare too hard. They're sugar highs.

Elementary is a well rounded meal.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
*EDIT: I'm in a dour mood, so I'll just remove what I said in the interest of not being a jerk*

selderane wrote: And Elementary is a better examination of Holmes and Watson as characters in the real world (Miller's depiction is far more nuanced than Cumberbatch's, and Liu's Watson is a fully realized person, unlike Freeman's, who exists pretty much to stand slack-jawed in awe of Holmes' brilliance), creates a realistic world where everyone but Holmes isn't blindingly incompetent, and the world doesn't revolve around Holmes, and holds up to scrutiny far better than anything Moffat or Gatiss writes.

Which is also Moffat's largest weaknesses on Doctor Who.

Moffat's Doctor Who and Sherlock work so long as you don't stare too hard. They're sugar highs.

Elementary is a well rounded meal.
Maybe so. But it didn't suit my tastes. Nothing about the first episode really grabbed me, for whatever reason. :?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
No, you're not wrong, Deep. Elementary was terrible. Pretty forgettable stuff.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Except he didn't say y'all are still chemically castrating gays, he said you're still trying to treat them. Which you are. It's stupid and pseudoscientific. It's also disingenuous, much like intentionally reading more into a statement just because someone called your society out on it's bullcrap. Gods forbid you aren't treated like fracking saints.

ArchAngel wrote:No, you're not wrong, Deep. Elementary was terrible. Pretty forgettable stuff.
Also this x9
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Well, Elementary is a better show, so I won't miss much skipping the next season of Sherlock.
It's okay to be wrong about both this and about the US' attitude in general towards gays :3

Both Elementary and the religious right in America are not the greatest things that ever happened. (source: was an ardent conservative religious right, now a less vengefully religious centrist)

Out of curiosity, what other actors to you actively avoid for theological reasons? Because
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Not really sure why this is news. Most celebrities tend to lean left in their politics and you can't swing a dead cat in Hollywood without hitting one that's got a chip on their shoulder where Christians or Christian morality are concerned.

Is there some particular reason we should care what Cumberbatch thinks?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I missed you :3
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
A British celebrity is liberal? What's next, a cop eating a donut?
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
ChickenSoup wrote:
It's okay to be wrong about both this and about the US' attitude in general towards gays :3

Both Elementary and the religious right in America are not the greatest things that ever happened. (source: was an ardent conservative religious right, now a less vengefully religious centrist)

Out of curiosity, what other actors to you actively avoid for theological reasons? Because
Given that you clearly cannot recognize superior character development, writing, and living worlds, I'm not sure if you are prepared for my answer...

George Clooney? Maybe. Honestly it could be just because he doesn't do a lot of film I want to see. But he's one of those actors who is so political I can't separate his portrayals from his politics. Really, if I stopped consuming entertainment from every celebrity to rankle me I'd consume none at all.

I'll still watch Sherlock. I was merely being flippant. Moffat's writing is so thin I'll likely forget it after I turn off the television. So no lasting harm to my person done.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
It's hard to take any of your insults over C$'s ability to discern good writing when in the context of praising Elementary.

I still can't really see how you're serious about this. Are you messing with us? I think you're messing with us.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
I was joking with him. Geeez. Dial it down a notch, will ya?

Hint: If actual insults fly over ones entertainment prefrences do yourself a favor and just ignore whatever the parties involved have to say about anything ever.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
WE DON'T MESS AROUND WITH SHERLOCK OK