Forum Addition: Anime?

Talk about your favorite books, movies, music, TV shows, and other non-gaming forms of entertainment here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts

Should we setup an Anime subforum?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 13
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Krytae wrote:I don't see how we can't have a sub-forum in the Arts and Entertainment section dedicated to Anime/Manga.

It would be easier for new members to find a place to talk about their favourite series, instead of being worried that they're posting in the wrong section or that there are members that don't like it. The anime thread already has a lot of discussions going on at once.

It can't hurt to try, can it?
Because:
1) There are already forums perfectly available for this (nobody's going to fret about where to put a thread about Bleach). Branch out of the Anime thread; you don't need a subforum to do that.
2) It needlessly spreads out the threads. The Arts and Entertainment sections already don't get a whole lot of action and what little threads are active will be even more spread out.
3) The list of threads is already fairly long for the number of regular members.
4) The Arts and Entertainment forums are based on Mediums (TV, Books, Music, Movies), and not styles and genres (or countries of origin). This means that it breaks the standard convention (which makes it poor design) and that every thread in Anime would be easily placeable it it's appropriate medium.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
ArchAngel wrote: 1) There are already forums perfectly available for this (nobody's going to fret about where to put a thread about Bleach). Branch out of the Anime thread; you don't need a subforum to do that.
I get what you're sayin'.
2) It needlessly spreads out the threads. The Arts and Entertainment sections already don't get a whole lot of action and what little threads are active will be even more spread out.
I see only two, and one of them is from you.
3) The list of threads is already fairly long for the number of regular members.
I don't think it's that bad. Although I do think that Racing should merge with Sports, since that forum is practically dead.
4) The Arts and Entertainment forums are based on Mediums (TV, Books, Music, Movies), and not styles and genres (or countries of origin). This means that it breaks the standard convention (which makes it poor design) and that every thread in Anime would be easily placeable it it's appropriate medium.
I've seen several different forums dedicating a spot for Anime/Manga because they have a separate fanbase. People always separate anime from cartoons, TV shows and movies. "Breaking Bad is my favourite TV show, Death Note if my favourite anime".

I don't fully disagree with you. I know there are some downsides to having an extra sub forum, but I feel like it's worth trying out at least.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Krytae wrote:I see only two, and one of them is from you.
Exactly, I'm showing that the conversation doesn't need to be limited to that thread. Why don't you make one about Death Note?
I don't think it's that bad. Although I do think that Racing should merge with Sports, since that forum is practically dead.
I'd be apt to agree with you.
I've seen several different forums dedicating a spot for Anime/Manga because they have a separate fanbase. People always separate anime from cartoons, TV shows and movies. "Breaking Bad is my favourite TV show, Death Note if my favourite anime".
This is probably the crux of the debate; not all people think it's different. Anime has built such a subculture around, many of these people look at it as if it were it's own, separate from all else. And on this, I strongly disagree. It's not special, not any more than other stylisms or genres. Let's look at what it actually is: Japanese style animation. I'm not trying to diminish it's unique elements and it's increasing effect on modern media as an art form, but it is a cartoon(animation) and they are either a TV show(or miniseries) or a Movie.

If anything, we need a Comic/Graphic Novel subforum. Manga would be right at home there.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

xbox650
Gamer
Gamer
@ArchAngel

1. If someone that likes anime is looking for thread about an anime movie, where would he or she look first? A: the anime Subforum? or B: the movie Subforum?

2. Some people would say Japanese cartoons are "special" because unlike most America's cartoons, clean anime is actually worth watching.

3. Where would you rather have a subject you like talking about.
A: In different places on the form. B: All conveniently put in one place.

4. Why would it bother you? You don't hardly like anime anyway.

5. we should totally have a Comic/Graphic Novel/Manga subforum!!
Good idea!
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return."

- Genesis Rhapsodos.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
1)Movies
2)No
3)A
4)It's silly
5)But of course.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm with Arch. Don't think we need it. It'd be like making a "Comedy" forum for those who don't want to take the time to switch forums.
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
DranzerFrost
Noob
Noob
I think it's a great idea to have an area for anime/manga.

I do feel the "if we start a section for anime, we need one for sci-fi!" argument isn't really true, since anime has such an huge reach that it doesn't mean we need to make more genres. You can have "Comedy Anime" or "Sci-fi Anime" the term anime almost refers to a different kind of media like western animation typically refers to cartoons. In fact a site that I go to called TVTropes separates Anime/Manga into it's own category because the stories are normally shared between the two, while live action and western animation have separate sections because they typically don't cross other media form as much as anime and manga do.

I'm the kind of guy who's all for sub-forums to help people find what they're looking for.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Okay, how about this:

The TV Shows forum stays. But make some sub-forums like Sitcoms, Drama, Cartoons, etc. Include Anime as one of those sub-forums.

Books may also be a good forum.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
The problem I see with that is that the TV subforum already doesn't see much activity. I'm not sure how adding MORE subforums would change that...
TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
DeadManReedeemed wrote:Okay, how about this:

The TV Shows forum stays. But make some sub-forums like Sitcoms, Drama, Cartoons, etc. Include Anime as one of those sub-forums.

Books may also be a good forum.

I still don't think it or any of those sub forums are needed. Also we already have an entire section for books..
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
If you want more space to talk about anime, start making anime threads in movies, tv shows and books(for manga).
How come I, the one who doesn't like anime, am the ONLY one who made a separate anime topic.

You guys are like my old guinea pigs who would jump back into the cage after being let out. You know what happened to those guinea pigs? They died. Because I accidently fed them rabbit food and they can't develop their own Vitamin C.

So go out, make some new threads and don't eat rabbit food.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
DranzerFrost
Noob
Noob
ArchAngel wrote:If you want more space to talk about anime, start making anime threads in movies, tv shows and books(for manga).
How come I, the one who doesn't like anime, am the ONLY one who made a separate anime topic.

You guys are like my old guinea pigs who would jump back into the cage after being let out. You know what happened to those guinea pigs? They died. Because I accidently fed them rabbit food and they can't develop their own Vitamin C.

I feel the humor overshadows the point here :P
xbox650
Gamer
Gamer
ArchAngel wrote:If you want more space to talk about anime, start making anime threads in movies, tv shows and books(for manga).

I feel that analogy was unnecessary, and that clouds over shadow the point here. :P
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return."

- Genesis Rhapsodos.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
No, seriously, I gave my guinea pigs scurvy. They were stiff by the time I found out what I was feeding them.
But, honestly, I was a bit relieved because they were noisy and pooped a lot.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.