Metroid for Wii

Look down them sights, soldier. Fire at will!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
The hint system in Metroid Prime 2 is messed up. First of all, the game would be unplayable without it. There is no earthly way I would ever realize that the next thing to do after fighting the boost guardian would be to leave the Torvus Bog altogether and backtrack all the way to the Temple Grounds where I would have to roll through some random, completely missable tunnel to circumvent the locked door leading to the room sitting directly under the main temple. Even if I had realized that there was no going forward in the bog by myself (probably after hours) and I resigned myself to searching the whole game for something to do, I STILL don't think I would have figured out I was supposed to go to that room because I would have seen the purple door on the map and not have bothered trying to get into that room.

So given that the hints are absolutely essential to knowing what to do in this game, why does it take forever for the game to dispense hints? I was aimlessly going up and down that stupid underwater room in the lower part of the bog accomplishing nothing for about 20 minutes. You can't tell me that isn't the logical next place to go when you're in the bog already and you got a freshly-acquired ability to open green doors. And after what felt like ages of slogging around at reduced, underwater speed, finally it tells me I'm not just in the wrong room, I'm in the wrong level.

The first Metroid Prime had the same problem with the location of new objectives having no logic or intuition to them at all, but at least the hints popped up almost immediately.

I don't have the gaming time I used to have. I don't want my sessions wasted like this. What should have taken me ten minutes to accomplish took an hour.
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Pheonix wrote: The Grapple Guardian is pretty great too but really annoying to get to. One of the most confusing backtracking parts in the entire game.
The Grapple Guardian gave me mixed feelings. At first, he was a real fun boss to tackle (and I loved how you got an initial look at him while rolling around under his feet and he was completely unaware of you!). I especially enjoyed the little nod they put in there toward Super Metroid (the cheap way to take out Draygon - I won't go into detail for those who haven't played either game yet). But after a while, it became more of an exercise in tedium. Blast away, trick the guy, shoot again, dodge and hang out in a healing zone for a while until you're back up to full health. The Grapple Guardian was so easy to avoid that what should have been a relatively easy and quick boss fight turned into a long-drawn out, repetitive pattern. They gave that guy way too many hit points.

And I agree that the game took too long with dispensing the hints. But it seems to me that one of the tendencies to the Metroid series - and to the Zelda series, for that matter - is that once you've got a new item, part of the fun is going back to the areas you've already been and using your new toys to get to new, hidden areas and get more powerups. At least it seems that Rare learned from some of the mistakes they made from the second Metroid Prime game and addressed them in the third one (at least that's what I've heard...).
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sstavix wrote:At least it seems that Rare learned from some of the mistakes they made from the second Metroid Prime game and addressed them in the third one (at least that's what I've heard...).
Retro Studios, not Rare. Currently, Rare is off making Wii Sports 3 for Microsoft. :|
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Metroid: Other M

"There is a traitor among us. Because I am unaware of the assassin's true identity, I've decided to call him:

The Deleter."

- Samus, Metroid: Other M
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Nate DaZombie wrote:
Sstavix wrote:At least it seems that Rare learned from some of the mistakes they made from the second Metroid Prime game and addressed them in the third one (at least that's what I've heard...).
Retro Studios, not Rare. Currently, Rare is off making Wii Sports 3 for Microsoft. :|
Whoops, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Yep, I meant Retro.

I've been thinking about Killer Instinct lately. Man, I miss that game... guess it's wormed its way into my subconscious....
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sstavix wrote:I've been thinking about Killer Instinct lately. Man, I miss that game... guess it's wormed its way into my subconscious....
I've played it once or twice; fun game. I just wish Rare would re-release it already!
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Does anybody know how to get past the planet Bryya in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
I just got through the Torvus Bog section. Alpha Blogg was a pushover. Phoenix i right, finding the convoluted path to Grapple Gaurdian took forever. The actual fight was okay but really just a bigger version of an enemy I was already sick of. Chykka was an epic boss. I loved that one. Right now I'm at the very start of the sanctuary fortress. It looks pretty cool but the enemies are tough, like the thing that makes your suit crash. The robot that spins like a top almost killed me because it took me a while to figure out the combination of attacks that kills it.
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Truthseeker wrote:I just got through the Torvus Bog section. Alpha Blogg was a pushover. Phoenix i right, finding the convoluted path to Grapple Gaurdian took forever. The actual fight was okay but really just a bigger version of an enemy I was already sick of. Chykka was an epic boss. I loved that one. Right now I'm at the very start of the sanctuary fortress. It looks pretty cool but the enemies are tough, like the thing that makes your suit crash. The robot that spins like a top almost killed me because it took me a while to figure out the combination of attacks that kills it.
Those top spinny things really stink, don't they?

As for those hacker things that crash your suit, take note that their projectile is extremely slow moving. They're tough, but as long as you dodge their fire and keep them at range, they're not too difficult.

You're actually in the same area as I am now. I need to finish this game sometime so I can move onto the third game....
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
So nobody knows then?

― Criss Jami
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
DeadManReedeemed wrote:So nobody knows then?
Erhm. Use the internet. Or wander around for while, go back through each area, use the scan visor, etc.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Gotta use the morph ball, apparently.

― Criss Jami
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
Beat the Spider Guardian. Another one I've been hearing is one of the hardest ones. I died once, and won with about 1/4 my health left on the second try. So I'd call that moderately difficult but nothing like Boost Guardian who took about five tries.

Did I miss something, or is there no way to save between dropping into the Sanctuary Fortress temple area and fighting the Spider Guardian? When I died, I had to redo the whole fight with the spinning robots in the room before the temple, take the trip up to the energy chamber to learn how to read blue holograms, then do the platforming puzzle that leads to the Spider Guardian. It seems like a lot to put before a fairly tricky boss. I've heard the same thing said about Alpha Blogg, but he was so easy it didn't affect me.
Brokan Mok

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I hated Prime 2 for the longest time because of the cheap way they extended play time near the end.

I'ma not say anything since apparently TS is just now experiencing the awesomeness...but I put in about 9 hours before giving up and going to GameFaqs.
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
I'm not above using Gamefaqs for a Metroid game. I did it a couple times for Super Metroid. When it gets to the point where it stops being about exploration and starts being about backtracking until you've found the one rock that you can bomb in a room you've already been in, that's when I stop having fun.
Brokan Mok