Shining Force

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
FamilyFriendlyGaming
I want a new Shining Force game. Or at least all of Shining Force 3 to be released in America.

No Strategy RPG comes close to Shining Force.
kiujazi
Man a new Shining Force, or even a new Phantasy Star would be fantastic really.

It's disappointing that Sega hasn't bother with Shining Force in ages (I honestly can't recall the last time I've even seen the name), and it was honestly one of the rpgs that got me hooked to the genre. I'm not exactly sure how S.F. would sell in this age though. Seems like the only ones who buy JRPGs are those who are already a fan of the genre though sadly.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:No Strategy RPG comes close to Shining Force.
Whoa there,
I challenge those words with Fire Emblem.
The older Fire Emblem...

I actually haven't played a Shining Force game, so I can't really compare them anyways. XD
I just love Fire Emblem for the GBA (aka in Japan as FE:Blazing Sword)
I have played through it around 15 times, so naturally I feel like I needed to mention it. (sorry... XD)
It had a great cast of characters with a lot of depth. (and the neat support system to get those conversations.)
Great level design, fantastic story, secret levels with that reveal some very interesting story details.
I can go on. :lol:

Though yeah, I feel Fire Emblem Awaking has really took the series down the wrong direction,
and seeing how the next Fire emblem game is turning out... I think I will have to skip it.

Well, my passion & disappointment of Fire Emblem aside... XD
How is Shining Force? I have been thinking of getting it.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
kiujazi wrote:Man a new Shining Force, or even a new Phantasy Star would be fantastic really.

It's disappointing that Sega hasn't bother with Shining Force in ages (I honestly can't recall the last time I've even seen the name), and it was honestly one of the rpgs that got me hooked to the genre. I'm not exactly sure how S.F. would sell in this age though. Seems like the only ones who buy JRPGs are those who are already a fan of the genre though sadly.
Totally agree. :) I would love to see a normal offline Phantasy Star game. PSO killed it like UO killed off Ultima. Phantasy Star II is still one of my all time favorite straight up role playing games.

JOJ650s,
I will tell you dude I have played both of them. Older Fire Emblem games have their pros. For this era I would give the best SRPG franchise to Fire Emblem. Back in the 16-bit era the best was Shining Force. Whether it was Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD, Shining Force on the Game Gear, Shining Force III (which actually came in three separate chapter game releases in Japan - we only got the first one in the States). Shining Force III was a Sega Saturn game. Now it is like asking if the 1985 Bears could beat the 2013 Seahawks. It gets difficult comparing different eras. For me Shining Force is the best SRPG of all time. Yeah I know, its my opinion. :) The art, the animations, the story, and building massive teams (I hate limitations and only being able to bring in a certain number of chars to a battle). What good is it to find all these cool secret characters and not get a battle advantage? I suggest playing some Shining Force - you might be surprised how many things Fire Emblem copied. ;)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:I suggest playing some Shining Force - you might be surprised how many things Fire Emblem copied.
Yeah I recently noticed the first two Shinning Force games on Steam, I am totally going to get them. :)
(Then I will likely post about about all the awesome after I beat it. XD)

Though I do feel like I should mention that the first two Japanese only Fire Emblems came out before the first Shining Force. :wink:
(Though that still doesn't mean they haven't copied features for the later titles. :lol: )
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
JOJ650s wrote:
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:I suggest playing some Shining Force - you might be surprised how many things Fire Emblem copied.
Yeah I recently noticed the first two Shinning Force games on Steam, I am totally going to get them. :)
(Then I will likely post about about all the awesome after I beat it. XD)

Though I do feel like I should mention that the first two Japanese only Fire Emblems came out before the first Shining Force. :wink:
(Though that still doesn't mean they haven't copied features for the later titles. :lol: )
I was not aware of that thanks. :) I don't know of any Shining Force before the 16-bit Genesis. I know they had Shining in the Darkness which was a first person dungeon crawler. Not sure who copied who. :) Appreciate the info.
JoeyFTW
Noob
Noob
Good! thats cool!
Doulos28
Noob
Noob
Shining Force (1 & 2) are still probably my top 2 favorite games.

I bought shining in the darkness and a gamegear to go with it, but it wasn't anywhere near as fun (it's a dungeon crawler as mentioned before)