Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
The release date for the game is approaching - some reports say it'll be November 28, others November 30. Is anyone else looking forward to this game?

What is it? Baldur's Gate - both the original and the sequel - is being redone and released for the latest operating systems. It also will be on Android devices and the iPad. It's a top-down Forgotten Realms-based game (D & D) similar to Planescape: Torment and largely considered to be a classic.

I played it briefly on a friend's iMac when it first came out in 1998. I never owned a copy and never made it far, but I've longed to get back into it for quite some time. When I heard about this other company - Overhaul Games - working on an updated version a few months ago, I've been trying to keep up with the news.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to this one! Anyone else?
Syksy
I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I consider BGs, especially Baldur's Gate II with the expansion pack, to be one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I have completed it maybe 3 times over the years, along with most of its advanced content. Oh man. I will get it for sure.

Even the old version's pretty fun to get into. I played it again through few years back on Windows 7 I think, and the only problem was that the waters were glitching and were shown blood red instead of blue. It kinda even fit the atmosphere. There's high resolution hack patch and other goodies too for the games. They were also special back in the day in the sense that they also supported LAN multiplayer.

If you like BG, you should try out the other RPGs with that engine. Especially Planescape Torment was real good. Then again there was also Icewind Dale, which was more of hack'n'slash, but it was alright as well.
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Sysky wrote:If you like BG, you should try out the other RPGs with that engine. Especially Planescape Torment was real good.

Planescape: Torment is probably one of the greatest CRPG experiences I've had to date. That is an absolutely fantastic, involved, thought-provoking game. Even with its age, it still stands out as one of the greatest computer games ever made. And I never even got to the ending.

I've had my eye on the open source GemRB for a while... I just need to figure out where I packed my Planescape disks, and I'm planning on giving it a go and see if I can actually finish the game this time....
Syksy
Sstavix wrote:Planescape: Torment is probably one of the greatest CRPG experiences I've had to date. That is an absolutely fantastic, involved, thought-provoking game. Even with its age, it still stands out as one of the greatest computer games ever made. And I never even got to the ending.

What?! I can't believe you left it unfinished if you liked it :) go finish it man! Back in the day I tried all the alternative endings to P:T and I did like the game a lot. It would be nice if they also released some other remakes like P:T.

The only thing that bothered me in P:T was that the fighting was rather simple as you could die and then just be born again. But the story writing was excellent.

I'm sure that even without the engine itself you could find a way to run the game on a modern OS.
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
Sstavix
CCGR addict
The first time around I ran into a bizarre glitch where any time I tried to get back into the morgue, I would CTD. By the time I found a way to patch that issue, I had moved on to another computer system and had to start over from the beginning, anyway.

If Baldur's Gate turns out to be a big hit, I hope that Overhaul Games will turn their attention to Planescape: Torment next.... After all, the engines are identical.