Is Skyrim worth it, or....?

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
2bRnot2bme
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Is Skyrim really worth it, or should I save my gift card for the coming new Fable?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I enjoyed it..have you played Oblivion?
2bRnot2bme
Noob
Noob
Nope.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Id say play oblivion first (its cheap) and then try skyrim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
It's not just awesome. It's awsum possum.

But yeah, try Oblivion, and if you like the general style (it's changed a bit in Skyrim, but follows the formula with a better story) I would jump for Skyrim
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
If you like fable, go try Kingdoms of Amalur, and yes Skyrim is worth it. There's even a Kingdoms demo on XBLA.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I haven't been too impressed with the latest Fable games, so I'd recommend Skyrim.
blacksinow
There are some points to consider when getting Skyrim.

1. Expect to see MANY mountains, especially the kind that are notorious for blocking your path.
2. The map looks pretty, and that is honestly all it is good for.
3. The crafting system is subpar.

Honestly though, if you can get passed these two annoyances, you will likely love to play Skyrim. Though if I may give a suggestion...

Try Kingdoms of Amalur and see what you think. But behold, there are some big limitations. I love the game and all, but these are present.

1. The class system isn't as developed as it should have been, I feel. It begins to turn into an overrated ability sink in later levels.
2. I feel that there are simply too many side-quests and as a result they become time consuming.

The game is simple and fun, you will find TONS of loots and the crafting system is actually vastly better then anything that Skyrim has to offer. But if I had to pick one. I would easily pick Skyrim for a few reasons. It has that radiant story engine, which means literally... random generated quests!

As for the new fable, I would be weary... consdering that the last two fable games are very lacking.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
If you like open world RPG, skyrim is one of the premier ones out there. Easy to drop over a 100 hours into it and one of the most immersive rpgs I have ever played. Worth it? Absolutely.

Kingdoms of Amalur has a more action based combat system, and an intriguing world and backstory, but not quite as immersive as Skyrim.

Being there is little we know for Fable 4, and comparing Skryim (and amalur) to Fable 3, I'd put my money into Skyrim.

All that being said, I guess the most important question is what are you looking for in an RPG?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
blacksinow
KoA isn't even worth the money they charge you. It is simply something simple and fun, not sophisticated in any way, shape or form. You will get lost in KoA, not because of the immersion factor, but because quest after quest falls right into your lap and they are generally ALL the same. KoA isn't worth 40.00 though, wait until you see it priced in the thirties and then buy it, new preferably. What makes Skyrim so great, is it's new radiant story engine, which brings you to a whole new level of immersion and persistant world game mechanics.

For example, if you kill someone.... there is a likely chance that one of their family members might remember it down the road and do something about it. Skyrim also GENERATES quests utilizing various elements (such as places that you have visited...) Should you decide to buy Skyrim, do NOT buy it's strategy guide. The Skyrim guide is the most unhelpful strategy guide that I have ever had the misfortune of buying. The elements in Skyrim are simply too random to make it useful.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
That's an overly harsh treatment of KoA. Agreed, it's not as good as Skyrim, but I don't regret a cent of the $40 I spent for it.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
blacksinow wrote: Should you decide to buy Skyrim, do NOT buy it's strategy guide. The Skyrim guide is the most unhelpful strategy guide that I have ever had the misfortune of buying. The elements in Skyrim are simply too random to make it useful.
Wait...you bought the strategy guide? People still buy strategy guides?

Moving on, when I suggested KoA, I suggested because 2bRnot2bme mentioned wanting the new Fable (I'm hoping he doesn't mean the Kinect one). I played the demo for KoA, and it some small way, it reminded me of Fable. It's not overly hard, it's basically a hack 'n' slash, and choice plays a big part. But it also reminds me of WoW: plenty of sidequests, massive world, etc... I understand if you don't think it's a fantastic game, but with the amount of content that's there, it's more than worth $40.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The internet killed the Strategy guide.

I think there should be a parody song.
blacksinow
You misunderstand me, I didn't say it was a bad game. I said that it really isn't worth paying 50-60 dollars for. Honestly speaking, I actually had a price range for KoA and it was funny enough 30 (or 35)-40 dollars. Amalur is a GREAT game, for what it is. It doesn't try to act like something that it isn't, it isn't sophisticated (but in a good way), and you can have lots of fun with it. Despite this, I feel that the main game has WAY too many side quests. I would have prefered to see them add more features, rather then add as many side quests as they have. It almost makes me wish that they had added a quest finder in game. I also wish they had added a quest cancel option as well, I could really use it for all those permanent quests in my log...

And I am not being harsh about the ability trees, they DO become ability sinks at the later levels. Additionally, I feel that they had wasted so much time in adding the lockpicking skill. You can have zero points in it and easily pick the hardest locks in the game. Well, not quite so easily, but you get my point... There is also the camera, it doesn't work quite as well as you would hope.

The good news is this, if you are the type to take the difficulty setting down... the game will still remain challenging for you. Well, it did for me at any rate.

The game is great, and if you like fable clones, then the game will be perfect for you. But I still keep to my stance in regards to Amalur, do not pay anything more then 40-45 dollars for it new.