The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is just around the corner!

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts

Will you be getting The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim?

Yes.
45%
Maybe.
45%
No.
9%

Total votes: 11
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
As many of you know the next installment of The Elder Scrolls franchise is almost here. If you played any of the previous games released by Bethesda studios then you know you're in for an immense game of epic proportions!

The Elder Scrolls has always been a series where you can really lose yourself in the world, it isn't one of the typical "Realistic First Person Shooters" that you so commonly see people playing. It's a world of fantasy and enchantment, a place where you can strive to be the very best, where you can conquer all evils and become a hero of the people. Skyrim is not a direct sequel to Oblivion, but a new chapter in the Elder Scrolls series, set 200 years after the events of Oblivion. As with previous Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim begins with the player as an unknown prisoner, on the way to their own execution. When you eventually learn that Alduin, the Nordic god of destruction, will return. Taking the form of a gigantic dragon, Alduin is prophesied to destroy the world with his minions, the Jills (a race of black dragons).

Just as previous Elder Scrolls games it will be an "Open World Environment." Meaning you can postpone the main story line and go off to slay random dragons, as I will be doing on my first play-through, or simply not even do the main story line if it's what you desire.
"We try to just have it be, give the player tools and then you know, let them run wild. -Todd Howard"
You can also explore any area of the world by either foot, horseback or fast traveling from city to city. An "Open World Environment" is one of the many things that makes The Elder Scrolls series so brilliant! Many other games do incorporate this style of gameplay but the way Bethesda Studios make it to really feel as through you've been place into a kingdom of dragons, monsters and beast that can make a grown man cry! If you wish, you may hide like a coward, swiftly sprinting from shadow to shadow to avoid a fight. Or you can be the complete opposite, gear up and go hunt you some monsters to get that ever so desired XP!

I also anticipate, just as the other Elder Scrolls games, that Skyrim will not just be for the "Hardcore Gamers" (The ones that are going to be putting in 1000+ hours into the game like me xD) But it will appeal to all players. This is mostly because of the great atmosphere the game has, it's inviting, intoxicating and very addictive. It's a world of wonder and mystery, that all can enjoy.

All in all this game is shaping up to be one of the greatest game releases this year. I will hopefully be doing a full review after release.
Last edited by Blunt on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
IBJamon and I will be getting it for our anniversary :) We have a Claim That Game Section where you can claim a game that's in your possession . This will be a big release and will get a lot of hits since Oblivion is one of our most read articles on the site. I'd like to see your reviewing style before you tackle this monster. ;)
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Yeah that's why I said hopefully xD This is going to be a huge release and didn't expect to cover it haha.
No problem! I can defiantly write some reviews for smaller games so you can get a sense of my style :)
Syksy
I have some friends that are all hyped up about Skyrim, so as a response I'm kinda getting anti-hyped inside :) but to be trutful, it's probably going to be a great game. Oblivion main story was a let-down (Dark Brotherhood was awesome), so I just hope they get a story of epic proportions this time and do it right. I'll check a few reviews on it before getting it, not gonna pre-order, but I might buy it at a -20%/-25% discount eventually.

I still got Morrowind to play through as well...
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Syksy wrote:so I just hope they get a story of epic proportions this time and do it right.
Just imagine you're on your horse riding through the open lands, on your way to turn in a quest you're just about to finished then BAM! A dragon from nowhere swoops and tries to kill you! xD I think they have a great idea, the main story, is just so creative and will deliver something I don't think gamers have played before and the countless hours there is to be had slaying dragons is going to destroy the little social life I have left :D
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
Blunt, have you played an Elder Scrolls games before? Straight up, the game looks amazing, but it's not doing anything groundbreaking, it's simply improving significantly from it's predecessors.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Blunt
Noob
Noob
I've played ever Elder Scrolls game, to an extent where I can talk you around the map, haha. The thing is, from watching the trailers I got a totally different feel from the game to what Oblivion or it's previous games are like like. I don't think they have just "Improved" on it, but gone out of their way to make it stand out on it's own. I think that's also why they didn't directly follow the story on from Oblivion. So I would recommend to watch the trailers if you not done so already. But of course we won't know what the game is going to be like for sure until release.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Oblivion wasn't particularly a follow up to Morrowind. The Nerevararine was mentioned a few times in conversation, and you heard about trouble in Morrowind...but otherwise it was left alone.
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Chozon1 wrote:Oblivion wasn't particularly a follow up to Morrowind. The Nerevararine was mentioned a few times in conversation, and you heard about trouble in Morrowind...but otherwise it was left alone.
What's the point you're trying to make here? o.O
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
That...there was no particular reason for them to follow the story from Oblivion, so I don't understand:
Blunt wrote:I think that's also why they didn't directly follow the story on from Oblivion.
:D
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Oh I understand now. But they could have also choose to not follow the story, because they made the choice not to I thought it is something that needs to be address. Because in doing so they are trying to achieve a sense of not continuing from Oblivion, but, making it stand on it's own. Just as they did, like you said, with the progression from Morrowind to Oblivion.

My whole point in saying
Blunt wrote:I think that's also why they didn't directly follow the story on from Oblivion.
was to let people that don't know much about what the story would in tell, that it's going to have some small references to the previous game but you won't have to have spent any time at all playing Morrowind, or Oblivion. :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Oh. Well that works.

Makes sense, even. Newbs mightn't know that it's unnecessary to play the preceding games to play Skyrim.

Cool.

By the way. Welcome to the forums. ^_^
Blunt
Noob
Noob
Haha thanks It's good to be here. :)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
:shock:
I now know what makes skyrim so awesome... (bummer, now I feel like sending money... :lolno: )
What is this for by the way? Xbox650? PS3? PC?
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I... kind of liked the story from Oblivion, contrary to whoever wrote that they didn't :P The immersion and side quests that were literally EVERYWHERE made the game what it was, as well. Oblivion has received almost the most hours I've put into a game. I love starting a new character and living out the life of different kinds of characters.

/nerd :P

So... yeah. I'm really excited for Skyrim. Definite Christmas present request :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested