Mass Effect

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
BallisticRapture
Noob
Noob
Who here enjoys Mass Effect? why or why not?
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I enjoy it. Don't come for the shooter mechanics, because there are a lot better ways to get those. Come for the story. It's a solid sci-fi trilogy if I ever played one.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
because of the homosexual romance options this game is on the bottom of my bucket list, if I do buy it, it would have to be on sale or in a bundle so I'm not rewarding the devs too much with my money....
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ScotchRobbins wrote:I enjoy it. Don't come for the shooter mechanics, because there are a lot better ways to get those. Come for the story. It's a solid sci-fi trilogy if I ever played one.
Pretty much this.

A lot of crap gets thrown at the third game, but I really liked it. I will say that I wish they had kept the heatsink mechanic from the first one though...
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I've had the trilogy set for about a year now, and I finally started playing it a month or so ago. I'm about a third of the way into part 3 with my main character. I've only played through most of part 1 before.

I am loving the games. The story is great, especially when you get into the later games and see how actions you took previously have affected the galaxy. The story is the real draw, but the gaming mechanics aren't bad either... I like that you can stop the action and choose your targets, and they really streamline the RPG stuff starting at part 2 so you aren't having to mess with your equipment so much.
ccgr wrote:because of the homosexual romance options this game is on the bottom of my bucket list, if I do buy it, it would have to be on sale or in a bundle so I'm not rewarding the devs too much with my money....
This stuff is mostly avoidable, as is all the hetero romance. Really, even with the "romance" scene (which I always thought was unbearably cheesy), the first game would be an easy PG-13 if it were a movie. The second and third games do a lot more to earn the M rating, but even so they are far from being GTA, and the gay romance is still avoidable. So I'd say at least give the first one a try, and just don't flirt with the blue alien if you're playing a female character.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
wulfiedude14
Noob
Noob
I'm a big fan of the elevator music.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote: This stuff is mostly avoidable, as is all the hetero romance. Really, even with the "romance" scene (which I always thought was unbearably cheesy), the first game would be an easy PG-13 if it were a movie. The second and third games do a lot more to earn the M rating, but even so they are far from being GTA, and the gay romance is still avoidable. So I'd say at least give the first one a try, and just don't flirt with the blue alien if you're playing a female character.
This.

I actually don't care if the option exists in a game, as long as I'm not pushed to explore it. If there's some way the game publishers track how frequently people choose those options, there may be some value in them seeing it if very few people actually do.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
So kinda like how Telltale tracks the choices players make in their story games?

Even if they didn't change anything in the future, it would be pretty cool to see what percentage of players did what things on their Nth playthrough. Might help them design the Paragon/Renegade choices better too.
Rejera
Noob
Noob
I find this game gives me a case of what I like to Call "open world syndrome." It doesn't really give the player any firm direction after the first mission, so I end up getting lost, getting frustrated, then deciding to play something else. I'm sure the story is awesome, but The lack of direction kills it for me. Like most things, I'll probably give the series another try, but as of right now, I have other games that I enjoy more that are on my "To play" list.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Probably should stay away from The Elder Scrolls games then. :P
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Probably should stay away from The Elder Scrolls games then. :P
That's a given. :)

Incidentally, that's what I like about the Elder Scrolls games. Sure, there's a main quest you can do, or dozens of little side quests... but if I just want to spend the time wandering around, picking flowers and enjoying the scenery, I can. And still feel like I accomplished something at the same time.

Now I want to load up Morrowind again. :lol: I really should watch for Skyrim to go on sale and see if my laptop can handle it....
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm the same way, the open world makes me feel more "involved" in the game. Heck, I wish Mass Effect was more open world for precisely that reason. There's so many things I wanted to do and see, but couldn't because the narrative was the focus of the game. Alas...

I would pay all of the money for Elder Scrolls-type gameplay in the Mass Effect universe (with all the planets, too).
coffeeblocks33
Noob
Noob
The original ME was a wonderful game. The combat, the storyline, the countless side missions, exploring planets in the Mako. I was really disappointed by the sequels, especially the storyline, it got overly complicated and had an ending that was totally unsatisfying (a bit like Lost).
RainbowFang
Noob
Noob
I was blown away the first time I played ME1 and wish that I could get the feeling back. The final battle, the ending....just wow. Cheesy and looks rough today, but man, what a great way to end a "movie" of a game. ME1 just feels like an interactive movie to me, instead of a game, in a sense. Like an advanced visual novel, haha.

I still hold it as the best Mass Effect game of the trilogy, however. ME2 second-best, of course, with ME3 a distant third, IMO.

Also I loved the MAKO.