The Last of Us

For all those action games like Mario, Mega Man, Zelda, God of War, and stuff.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Has anyone else played this yet? I picked it up yesterday.

First off, it's obviously not for the kiddies. The violence is pretty graphic and scary. Also, the language is pretty R-rated. While I wouldn't call it gratuitous (I'd be cursing if I was in that situation), there is quite a bit of it. So if you don't play M-rated stuff, it's not the game for you.

Anyway, the graphics are amazing, the voice acting is probably the best I've heard from any game, and the story is pretty great so far too. (I choked up a little in an early scene.) The action is pretty intense. Think "The Road" meets "28 Days Later", with a just a dash of Silent Hill and the recent Tomb Raider reboot. It's a good 'un.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
heard good things about it but haven't played it
delve
Are you human?: Yes!
I hear the story seriously trumps the gameplay; as in the combat is very intense and frustrating but it's worth it to get the story.
At any rate, it sounds like one I'd like to pick up. Eventually.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I finished the game a couple of days ago. It was excellent. I'll concur with what delve has heard and say that the high point of the game is the story, but the combat is by no means poor.

First off, the story... was... fantastic. I'm not going to say much about it because the less you know about it the better it is IMO, but I will say I've never felt more attached to two characters in a video game than Joel and Ellie. I know I'm a big softie, but I teared up more than once. The soundtrack adds a lot to this; it's very understated but does a good job of highlighting the emotional scenes.

Now, the combat. It's gritty stuff, especially early in the game when you don't have much in the way of weapons or gear. It does get "cleaner" later on after you get more equipment and pass the learning curve, but it's still pretty rough, and it's obvious that most of that is intentional. For example, when you're aiming and you get hit with a bullet, you get knocked back and you have to orient yourself again (after making sure you're safe from gunfire). Ammo is limited, so many times the way you approach combat depends on what kind of ammo or supplies you have. It's not quite as crisp as, say, Tomb Raider, but it's far from broken.

So yeah, I'd say it's definite GOTY material, and that's pretty impressive considering how much I loved Tomb Raider.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."