Tomb Raider

For all those action games like Mario, Mega Man, Zelda, God of War, and stuff.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Anyone play this yet? It's gotten a lot of good press. I've never cared much for the series, but this one looks amazing. I'll probably pick it up this week.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I've only briefly played the version that introduced 3dfx graphics (dating myself here) I was blown away by how great it looked. Didn't play it much other than that so I never got into the series.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Much to my extreme displeasure Walmart didn't stock it yesterday. Probably won't for a week. I'm buying it ASAP though.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Spartan_117
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Awesome game. I've already played about 3 or 4 hours since I got it yesterday.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Played the first hour and a half or so. Great game so far. Not for the kiddies, though. ;)

Think Lost meets Uncharted with a dash of Arkham City... on steroids.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

(Warning: I don't think there's any language, but there is some violence.)
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
^ I watched that a little bit ago, there's definitely some innuendo when Conan sees Lara's outfit, etc.

That said, I LOVE his clueless gamer videos. XD
JacobRocks
Noob
Noob
Does anyone know about how much foul language there is or is there an option to turn it off? Thanks!
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
If that video is too harsh, I leave it to the mod's discretion to remove it and apologize for posting it. Conan's reviews are hilarious though, I love the one he did for Skyrim.

Back to Tomb Raider, I put in about 3 more hours. This game is fantastic. The way they introduce new equipment in the middle of a firefight, the way the cutscenes blend seamlessly with the gameplay, the simple upgrade system that doesn't hamper the gameplay... all great stuff. The story is solid, and the voice acting is top notch too. This is definitely a GOTY contender.

Like I said, it's really not for the kiddies, and that's mostly for the brutal violence. It's easy to get killed, and many times the deaths are very violent (see video above for an example). Early on I kept missing a QTE (which do pop up from time to time, but aren't nearly as annoying as they tend to be in games like GoW), and Lara's head was crushed by a rock. That sort of thing. There's also some language (a few f-bombs here and there from enemies, but not often enough to be gratuitous).
Legionnaire
Noob
Noob
as they tend to be in games like GoW
So..is that "God of War" or "Gears of War"? I imagine it's the former, but I'm just checking.

Also, is it overly profane, or are they used in semi-appropriate situations? I realize it's never the best option, but is it at least fitting when it's used?
"For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Anglo-Saxon language is always fitting.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Legionnaire wrote:
as they tend to be in games like GoW
So..is that "God of War" or "Gears of War"? I imagine it's the former, but I'm just checking.

Also, is it overly profane, or are they used in semi-appropriate situations? I realize it's never the best option, but is it at least fitting when it's used?
God of War. I haven't played Gears of War, so I can't speak for that one.

As for the language, it's not like you have two characters sitting around talking using f-bombs every other sentence as if it were a Chris Rock standup special. The profanity typically occurs when people are under duress. For example:

"I'm *bleep* terrified!" - someone who is trying to escape from a group of people who have murdered several of her friends.

"She's got a *bleep* grenade launcher!" - a dangerous cult member who just watched you fire a grenade launcher at a group of his fellow cult members

So yeah, it tends to occur during situations where your average person would probably let a curse word or two slip. Also worth noting since this is a Christian site: there is the occasional "Oh my g**" and GD. Again, they aren't heard in every other sentence or anything, but they are there.

Anyway, I'm more than halfway through the game, and I continue to be impressed. Usually cinematic style games tend to be a turn-off, but in Tomb Raider the cinematics are blended seamlessly into the gameplay. It's brilliant stuff.
baconisgood23
VIP Member
VIP Member
I loooove Tomb Raider! My first play session was, like, eight hours long.

I might even love it more than the Portal games....

Naaaah! :mrgreen:

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should've been more specific." -Lily Tomlin