Forgiveness

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
5. Read the parable of the “unmerciful servant” in Matthew 18:21-35. According to
Matthew 18:35 what will be the fate of those who act like the unmerciful servant?
they will not be forgiven either
Do you hold unforgiveness toward anyone? nobody comes to mind
What will be your fate if you fail to forgive? will be unforgiven by God
Notice that when we refuse to forgive, unforgiveness is bound to us and our sins
are not forgiven. Who suffers when we refuse to forgive? we do

Most of my family is catholic and I broke away and introduced my aunt and uncle and mom to evangelical like churches. I'm really happy for them and their salvation yet my aunt has unforgiveness and is being a bad witness for the rest of my family. It's really sad and saddens me. :(
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
5. Read the parable of the “unmerciful servant” in Matthew 18:21-35. According to
Matthew 18:35 what will be the fate of those who act like the unmerciful servant?
They will no be forgiven.

Do you hold unforgiveness toward anyone? Not that I can think of.
What will be your fate if you fail to forgive?
I won't be forgiven either.
Notice that when we refuse to forgive, unforgiveness is bound to us and our sins
are not forgiven. Who suffers when we refuse to forgive? We do.

It always messed with my mind that a king would forgive a servent that much debt, and then that servent would turn around and throw a guy in jail for a far lesser amount of money. Then I realized that was how I treat God when I don't forgive somebody. And I was like "Oh schnap..."
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
6. Look at the following verses and see what happens when we chose to forgive.

a. According to Matthew 6:14-15 what happens to our sins when we chose to
forgive others of the sins they have committed against us?

We will be forgiven too.

And what happens if we chose not to forgive the sins of others that have
been committed against us?

We will not be forgiven our wrongdoing.

b. Luke 7:36-50 is an account of a sinful woman who came to Jesus and
showed how much she loved him by pouring out her expensive perfume
on him and kissing his feet. Jesus forgave her of her sins because she was
repentant. According to Luke 7:47 what is the result of someone who has
been forgiven for much?

They will love much.

Most people don’t know how much they have to be forgiven for. Can you
list some things for which you need forgiveness?

Yes. I tend to be jerky to people. And I'm uncaring and even somewhat cruel, at times. And more stuff...

Should this cause you to love little or love much? It should cause me to love much.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
6. Look at the following verses and see what happens when we chose to forgive.
a. According to Matthew 6:14-15 what happens to our sins when we chose to
forgive others of the sins they have committed against us? God forgives us
And what happens if we chose not to forgive the sins of others that have
been committed against us?God will not forgive our sins
b. Luke 7:36-50 is an account of a sinful woman who came to Jesus and
showed how much she loved him by pouring out her expensive perfume
on him and kissing his feet. Jesus forgave her of her sins because she was
repentant. According to Luke 7:47 what is the result of someone who has
been forgiven for much? they love much
Most people don’t know how much they have to be forgiven for. Can you
list some things for which you need forgiveness?
pride
materialism
anger

Should this cause you to love little or love much? love much

We can never get enough love or forgiveness
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Make a list of people you have not forgiven and the things they have done to you.
When the list is complete choose whether you will forgive these offenses against
you or if you will hang on to them. What happens to you if you hang on to this
unforgiveness? I won't be forgiven of my sins
What happens if you choose to forgive? I too will be forgiven

You know to be honest I don't really hold any resentment and I try not to hold grudges, I'm pretty forgiving

I was mad at Jay today because he left me dishes to clean from last night, his breakfast and stuff from his lunch to clean. After I vented at him I'm fine. :P

My friends husband gives me the creeps since he's old enough to be her dad and had relations with her in high school (statutory rape anyone?). I don't think it's an unforgiveness thing but he just creeps me out. Two seperate categories I believe. He hasn't wronged me but if my friend is happy so be it.

That's about all I can think of
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
7. Make a list of people you have not forgiven and the things they have done to you.
When the list is complete choose whether you will forgive these offenses against
you or if you will hang on to them. What happens to you if you hang on to this
unforgiveness?

I don't have a list, as typically I can forgive shortly after the problem. Some things hurt for awhile, and I find a lot of trouble forgiving. Especially with people in my family. I held onto anger at my Dad for a long time...so I can say that holding onto anger eats me from the inside out, and does nothing but cause more pain. To myself, and to others who didn't have anything to do with it. Through this study, I found out I have a hard time forgiving myself, as well.

What happens if you choose to forgive?

The pain leaves, and I can actually be around that person again. I don't have to guard my tongue around them. Basically, it frees me.
Eagle Eyes
VIP Member
VIP Member
4) What do the following verses have to tell us about how we should forgive?

a)According to Matthew 18;21-22 how many times should we forgive someone? Seventy times seven

b)According to Luke 17;3-4 what should we do if someone sins? Forgive him

What should we do if he continues to sin but comes back and repents and asks for forgiveness? Keep forgiving him

c) According to Colossians 3;13 how should we forgive each other? The way Jesus do

d) According to Colossians 2;13 what is the condition of someone when Jesus forgives them of their sins and makes them alive in him? Alive and forgiven

e) According to Ephesians 4;32 what should be our attitude toward one another as we forgive them? Kind and tender

f) According to Luke 23;34 what did Jesus ask of the Father in heaven for the people that had nailed him on the cross and were putting him to death? ''Father forgive them''

What did Jesus say about what these people were doing? ''They know not what they do''

Would you be able to forgive someone who was doing something horrible to you the way Jesus forgave? It would be hard, but i think so. I have forgiven someone many years ago for a terrible thing, so ja, i think so.
----------

5) Read the parrable of the ''unmercyful servent'' in Matthew 18;21-35. According to Matthew 18;35 what would be the fate of those who act like the unmercyful servent? They would not be forgiven

Do you hold any unforgiveness toward anyone? As far as i can remember, no.

What will be your fate if you fail to forgive? I will not be forgiven

Notice that when we refuse to forgive, unforgiveness is bound to us and our sins are not forgiven. Who suffers when we refuse to forgive? We suffer.
----------

6) Look at the following verses and see what happens when we choose to forgive.

a) According to Matthew 6;14-15 what happens to our sins when we choose to forgive others of the sins they have committed against us? We are forgiven of our sins

And what happens if we choose not to forgive the sins of others that they have been committed against us? We will not be forgiven

Luke 7;36-50 is an acount of a sinful woman who came to Jesus and showed how much she loved him by pouring her expensive perfume on him and kissed his feet. Jesus forgave her of her sins because she was repentant. According to Luke 7;47 what is the result of someone who has been forgiven for much? They will love much

Most people don't know how much they have to be forgiven for. Can you list some things for which you need forgiveness? Selfishness, anger, hate, forgetfulness and some other things aswell.
----------

7) Make a list of people you have not forgiven and the things thay have done to you. When the list is complete choose whether you will forgive these offenses against you or if you will hang on to them. What happens to you if you hang on to this unforgiveness? I don't have a list, i used to have one and i chose to forgive them. Because every time i think of them, it pains me and you can't go on if you have it. It's like barrier and stops you from loving.

What happens if you choose to forgive? It takes the pain away and makes you happy again.

I did not know that forgiveness is such hard work, but it's definitely worth it! :D
Never judge a book by it's cover
and don't underestimate them either.
The next prophet
Noob
Noob
I have a query in regards to forgiveness.

I am a believer that there is an existing Deity, but I do not know for sure which religion to follow, as they all seem to have different flaws and strengths, in my opinion. It is hard to know which is the one true religion.

Forgiveness in my eyes is confusing.

Take this (unlikely) scenario, and please help me to understand whether my thoughts are correct or not.

Ok, so, God forgives those who repent for sins, but not those who don't.

So, for example, if a person commits an act of rape, this is clearly a sin. However, if he then "finds God", and repents, would he be forgiven?

Now, the woman who the man raped is married. In being raped, she has had sexual intercourse outside of marriage, which the Bible says is wrong. She isn't christian, so hasn't "found God". Does God forgive her for this act against his Laws?

If he doesn't, which going from the Bible's word he wouldn't, though he would forgive the rapist, surely this is a clash of basic human morals? I wouldn't see a woman who is raped as being one who needs forgiving, for being raped, but I wouldn't see how a morally correct Deity would be able to forgive the rapist and not the woman who is raped.

Please help me understand this better...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Welcome to the site!

Since you're a believer you know that Christ died for everyone's sins and this offering is for anyone who is interested. Sadly, many don't want a relationship with God and ignore him. Without Christ, we've all sinned and are not worthy to be in the Lord's presence.

So in your scenario, yes the rapist would be forgiven if he truly repented of his sin and believed in Christ and followed Him.

As for the women, if it was rape...why would she be at fault unless she intentionally seduced the guy? If she was responding to a singles ad, or went on a date with a guy other than her husband then she could have committed adultery.

God forgives the sin but doesn't remove the consequences. If the rapist went to jail, God won't intervene there. but as for the innocent victim..unless she wants Christ in her life, He won't force His way in. She'll be held accountable for her actions and sins alone.

I hope that makes sense.
Side_Kik
Noob
Noob
Forgiveness is very important, you can't live without it, its like a necessity. I hope that everyone would learn to forgive. The Bible says that God forgives and forgets. That is something that I think everyone could work on :)