John Bible study

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.journeychurchonline.org/adobe/john.pdf

Unit 1.

I'm Cheryl and I'm a stay at home mom who runs this site and works my tail off for a Nutritional Supplement web store. I have 3 wonderful kids and a great husband. I live very close to where I was raised in Illinois. If money were no object I'd like to check out Japan by myself or if I had to lug the whole family around...Disney World...or maybe Israel...anyways..back to reality...we're not going anywhere soon!

1. 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us

2. In the beginning the Word (Jesus) was with God, this is talking about creation.

3. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

Without Jesus, we would not be here, plain and simple.

4. The world did not recognize him and nor did the jews (His own)

5. To accept and believe that He is the son of God..if you do you are a son of God

6. He humbled Himself by becoming fully flesh yet fully God

7. Genesis the Ram was in place of Isaac, Exodus passover lamb, Leviticus lamb sin offering, Isaiah slaughtered lamb

I probably relate the most with the disciples, I know enough to follow Christ but I still make mistakes and realize I'm far from perfect. Equating Jesus to a sacrificial lamb brings the most meaning to me, he took my place and was the ultimate sacrifice...He went through so much suffering yes was obedient and perfect in every way.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I'm Conner. AKA: Chozon1. I still live with my parents in MS, and at the moment am unemployed, though working on getting into college. Were money no object, I'd probably either go to Mars and explore the surface looking for some sort of awesome sword, or the Caribbean and do the whole "Chill on a deserted island" thing.

1) He was with God from the very beginning. He made all things. In Him is life, and darkness cannot comprehend Him. Jesus was the true light, that gives light to all men. He was unrecognized when He came, and though He came to what was His, we did not receive Him. God became flesh and walked among us. From His grace, we receive blessings. Grace and Truth come form Jesus.

2) To show that Jesus was God, and that His story did not begin with Jesus birth, but at the very beginning.

3) That Jesus was the voice, or representation of God.

4) The Jewish people, and the gentiles. They/we were/are people who like the darkness more, since it hides our evil deeds.

5) It means to be born again, to place our faith in Christ that He will save us from our sins and punishment. The result is that we are cleared of sin and punishment, and given eternal life.

6) That Jesus was God, and that He came to be a sacrifice for our sins as a man. He withstood temptation, went through everything we do, and yet still remained perfect. He was fully human, God who stooped down to walk with us.

7) Jesus was the lamb that took Isaac's, and our, places. Jesus was the Passover lamb that covered us with His blood, and prevented our death. Jesus is the sin offering, that atoned for our sins. He was the suffering servant that, though innocent, took the place of the guilty man, and was crushed and killed.

Sadly, the pharisees. I'm hard headed, tend to be stubborn, and I am way to judgmental and "FOLLOW TEH LAW"-ist for my own good. For me, the Light which the darkness did not understand. I've been afraid of the dark since I was a kid, and still am, to an extent. So the idea of a Light which darkness cannot comprehend, or overcome, is so cool to me.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I think if I found out some very gewd news, I'd probably tell my parents, and my sister.

1) That we may believe in Him, and have life by His name.

2) That Jesus loved His mom, and that she knew He was special, and able to do awesome stuff others couldn't.

3) His death.

4) The blood of the new covenant.

The kind of jars used for ceremonial washing.

That he had saved the best wine for last.

The new covenant is better than the old. The water used for washing wasn't good enough to cleanse us, only Jesus blood can. And it cleansed us of all sins.

5) They were using the temple as a flea market.

6) That He zealously cared for God's house. and wouldn't stand for it being desecrated.

Probably my parents. I grew up with them being Christian, and they also furnished my first bible.

To some extent, the historical facts of the bible, and the fact it's never been disproved in that sense; we know Jesus existed, and we know He died and rose again. Mostly, because I get tired of saying "coincidence" when prayers are answered, and because through the darkest times in my life, something waaaay outside myself has held me together, brought me through, and encouraged me.

My heart. It's not what it should be; not what it could be.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The most memorable wedding was my own. Jay was sick as a dog but still there! :)

1. John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

2. She was persistent. :)

3. Time to begin his ministry

4. Jesus' blood. Big stone jars holding 20-30 gallons. The best wine. Jesus' ministry began and ended with wine (shedding blood, best sacrifice)

5. They were selling in God's temple..it's a house of prayer not profit

6. He has a righteous temper.

I grew up catholic but my grandma gave me literature to think outside of the religious system and develop my personal relationship with Jesus. The fact that he existed and is the only religious "icon" to rise from the dead..I'm sold there. Hmmm where would he start..well I no longer pirate games or music...but I guess the music I listen to isn't always Christian...
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tricky question, is tricky. Probably, The OG King Arthur. I'd ask him what actually happened in ye olde times, who he really was, about Merlin and who he really was, and what the deal was with his sword.

1) 1st Corinthians: To be a new creation. Ephesians: Made alive from death. Titus: Washed and renewed. John: Children of God.

2) He believes Jesus is talking about physically being born twice.

3) You can hear it and feel it, but you cannot tell where it came from, or where it is going.

4) Jesus and the snake were both lifted up, but mostly because anyone who turns to them is healed.

5) To save the world.

6) Lovers of light, and lovers of darkness. One does truth, the other does evil. The one stayed in the darkness, because the light exposed their evil actions. The other came into the light, and it exposed their love of truth.

7) Jesus is the groom, and the church is his bride. John was saying that he helped orchestrate the wedding, but that the focus of it was not on him, the best man of sorts, but on the groom.

I never really thought about it much. One of the benefits/problems of being raised in a Christian home. Again, until I started reading my bible, I never thought of it much. And when I did, I always assumed he was who the bible said. A gentle breeze. I "realized" my life wasn't what it should have been, and the "you can't know truth" thing really annoyed me. So by "random" chance I picked up my bible and started reading. God helped me.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I um...can't find my wallet. XD But the oldest thing in there is my lucky dollar bill, and the most valuable thing is my two dollar bill.

1) They were the people who replaced the Israelites when they turned away from God and lost their land because of it. They also tried to discourage and thwart the Jews who were rebuilding Jerusalem and the temple.

2) It showed that all peoples, even those despised and evil, were loved by God, and he was willing and wishing for them to turn to him.

3) The lady thought he was talking about actual, physical water. And his disciples thought he was talking about actual food for the stomach.

4) The prophecies about him, and his death, had to be fulfilled. If the people truly understood who he was, they wouldn't dare touch him, and his death wouldn't have paid for our sins.

5) Springs of water continually flow, and spread. Water is necessary for life, just like the Spirit.

6) There is worship by sacrifice and following the law, but worshiping in spirit and in truth means doing God's will, living your life in worship to God by following Him in your life and in your heart.

7) It fills our spirit, strengthens us, comforts us, and feels good.

I think maybe looking for, or at least remembering, the people we typically count as forever lost, or beyond saving. I get the benefits of others hard work. My salvation is entirely dependent on God, and Jesus' sacrifice. I try to worship God in spirit and in truth. That he didn't just claim to love everyone, he did love everyone.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I would interview Jesus and ask him all of the tough questions to provide definite answers to many of the tricky questions. Why is there suffering, what really happened to the dinosaurs, did man and dinosaurs co-exist, how many animals were on the ark, how did they all fit? etc etc.

1. 2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Tts 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2. Nicodemus was thinking in physical terms or being born, not spiritual

3. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going

4. The Son of Man must be lifted up,that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life

5. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him

6. Light exposes evil, seeks out truth
Dark does evil deeds, hates light
7. We wait for Jesus like a helper, the focus is on Christ the groom not the helper

I was raised Catholic and was a good person and tried to do the right things. I had my faith in works not Christ. Great teachers stay dead. When I started a personal relationship with Christ I was on fire for him..I'm now like a slow cooker I think....steady and not all riled up ;)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
hmmm the oldest thing in my wallet is probably my SS card. Most valuable..I guess the same if it gets in the wrong hands. But I got $50 cash today doing computer side work so that's cool.

1. The Samaritans were colonists who settled the land of Israel after Assyria destroyed kingdom. They were instructed in the law of Moses; however, they did not keep the law. Hostility began when the Jews refused to allow the
Samaritans to help in rebuilding the temple.

2. Christ came to save everybody, not just the jews

3. Living water being physical, the disciples thought Jesus was talking about physical food.

4. fulfills prophecy Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

5. The Holy Spirit brings eternal life

6. We no longer need sacrifices since Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. We must walk in the Word and live to God's will and purpose.

7. Doing God will sustains and fulfills you, brings us comfort and strength

Talk to everyone, not just your friends. Go outside your comfort zone. There are plenty out there who need to hear the truth. I try with this ministry. :) Perhaps not on as regular of a basis that I would like...but yes I do try to worship God in spirit and truth. It shoes that he came for everyone to be saved, not just the Jews.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yes. Multiple times. The results are a toss up between bewildered success and total biffage.

1) they had seen the things he had done in Jerusalem.

2) The Samaritans believed because of His words, and the womans testimony.

3) Jesus was blown off when he went home to Nazareth, and even in Jerusalem the leaders who should have been most receptive, demanded to see credentials as to who told him he could do that kinda stuff.

4) That Jesus had to actually touch him, or give him medicine to heal him. It changed, because the man took Jesus at his word and left without Him after Jesus told him it was OK to leave, that his son would live.

5) That Jesus has authority over all things. He spoke a word and the mans son was healed from miles away.

6) He was an invalid who answered when Jesus came to help him. Jesus offered him healing, though the man did not deserve it. When we are in our sins, we are incapable of righteousness. Jesus calls out to us, asking if we want help, and we answer by our faith. Then Jesus purifies us of our sins, even though we clearly don't deserve it.

7) The man saw him as a healer, while the authorities saw him as a lawbreaker, and one who commands others to break the law.

I read a book once where a man started going to church to meet single women. Eventually, he did meet someone. But he learned of Jesus and came to him as well. There are times when I've prayed or read my bible, asking God for an answer, and then kept my thought so busy and worked up that it was only when I calmed down and waited I got my answer. Seems like a bad way to view it. The mans best, our best, isn't enough. Jesus not only called the man to himself, but also healed him and forgave his sons. Then asked the man to pick up his mat.

Odd that they trimmed verse 4. It made sense of why people sat around a pool hoping to be healed.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Back in my pirating days I had a co-worker ask me to find them Auto CAD and I did in exchange they paid for me to take my Microsoft Certification which I passed.

1. They had seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, for they also had been there

2. The Samaritans welcomed him because of the woman by the well's testimony

3. He was welcome every else besides Nazareth

4. He thought Jesus had to physically touch to heal his son. He took Jesus at his word and confirmed the time of healing to the time he spoke with Christ.

5. Jesus and God have powerful words..that's what created the earth we live in..surely these same words heal just as well

6. invalid for 38 years, men got in his way to prevent him from getting well (selfish), Christ took the initiative by talking to him and asking if he wanted to get well. I don't think anyone is worthy but this makes me wonder about this guy's past when Jesus said not to sin any more or something worse may happen.

7. The invalid didn't recognize Jesus until they met again at the temple. He was then able to identify him by name.

Many people want to treat God as a genie to serve their needs and not His purpose. It's funny we've tithed since we've been married, and we're faithful with it. Lately we've still been tithing even when it hurts or we can feel it. God has still been good and faithful. We're very blessed indeed. I agree with that statement we should try our best and nobody is perfect, that's where God comes in and does the rest. It's not our works but Christ's work that makes us acceptable to God.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's the adverse of the question that was in the last one. O_o Boggly.

Favorite way to spend a Sunday: Consuming vast amounts of broccoli and waking up at unholy hours to watch the preachers on TV.
My Nickname as a Child: Conman.
My favorite kind of music: Christian Alternative (meaning anything Christian that is an alternative to hymns and southern gospel).
In High school, what I wanted to be when I grew up: A Hero.

1) They railed against Him, because he did 'work' on the sabbath. That they cared more about following the exact specifications of the law than caring for people.

2) God never stops working either.

3) a) He only does the things that God would do.

b) God loves Him, and shows Him all He does.

c) That giving God honor, honors the Son, and vice versa.

d) God has life in Himself, and so does Jesus.

e) Authority to judge was given to Him, and His judgments are equal to God's.

f) The work Jesus was given to do testified that He was from the Father.

3.5) They show that God and Jesus are equals.

4) That it doesn't work like that. Jesus claimed to be the only way to God. And he also claimed that anyone who does not honor Him does not Honor God, and John said that if you don't believe Jesus, you call God a liar. And that if you had the Son, you had life. If you didn't, then you did not have life.

5) If you believe that Jesus was telling the truth, if you believe in Him, then the gateway to death is closed to you. Those shadows of fear can no longer touch or haunt you, because Jesus is standing in the way.

6) a) John was sent by God.

b) The work Jesus did testified that God was backing Him.

c) God Himself testified about Jesus.

d) The Scriptures testify as to who Jesus is.

7) They followed the law as a matter of getting acclaim by the populace, but they didn't really believe or study it.

8) They read the words, but they did not believe them.

As one that is very close, loving, and trusting. He'd be a liar. I guess I want to learn more about God, this life, and right and wrong.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite way to spend a Sunday: Consuming vast amounts of broccoli and waking up at unholy hours to watch the preachers on TV.
Guessing that's the false one

My favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon: Go out with family
My nickname as a child: squirly
My favorite kind of music: rap
I wanted to work with computers since I was allergic to animals, ruled out becoming a vet

1. The religious leaders are blinded by the miracle taking place on the sabbath instead of focusing on the miracle itself.

2. God gave Christ the authority, God always works

3. mirrors His father, was given the role of judge from Father, seeks to please His Father, Father testifies for Him

4. Just because you talk to God doesn't mean you have a relationship. Sounds 1-way. Christ said He is the only way to heaven. N if's ands or buts or good works.

5. Believe in Christ and you will be spending eternity with Him!

6. John was sent first as prophesied. God Himself and the scriptures back Jesus up.

7. The religious leaders were so stuck on the Old Testament scriptures and laws

8. They ignored the miracles and fulfilled prophesies and Christ before their very eyes!

They're very close and in agreement kind of how parents should be..backing each other up, unified. If someone was saying that Gos has their back and is going against the Bible teachings then they are a false prophet. I want to be closer to Christ and His teachings, not just doing good works and obeying the commandments.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
My favorite kind of music: rap
That one?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
yeah :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spinach or greens. I can eat them now, but only if soaked through in vinegar (for the greens) or cheese (spinach) and even then they make me slight nauseous. I'm most likely to over eat when I'm conscious, or have a food I really like. Pizza, and cheeseburgers especially. I'd choose Cheeseburgers, with gummy bears a close second.

1) Testing the disciples faith in Him. Philip was immediately concerned with the impossible aspect of feeding the people out of nothing, while Andrew wondered how Jesus was going to make so little into enough.

2) That Jesus may have been one man, but His sacrifice was big enough for everyone. And that he can fill up everyone, no matter how little they have.

3) One for each disciple meant that Jesus had more than plenty for His servants.

4) Because they were going to make Him king, and His Kingdom wasn't of this world.

5) They wanted Him to keep feeding them. That their motives were fed by their stomachs.

6) To trust and love Jesus. It's different because doing good works is an attempt to save yourself, while believing God is asking for Him to save you.

7) The manna came from nowhere, the Israelites didn't recognize what it was, and it kept them fed, strong, and healthy for forty years.

8) He takes away the punishment of our sins and gives us life to the fullest. Everyone who accepts his message.

I don't really know. I guess when I offer to help someone do something beyond my skill, but God ends up helping me to do better than I was able. The disciples were panicking, thinking they were dead, and Jesus showed up right when they needed him, and got them through the storm before they knew what happened. It helps me to know that Jesus is with me even when stuff is bad, and that it'll be over before I know it.