My grandpa

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Waiting to hear back from the oncologist but they're 99.9% sure that he has esophagus cancer that's probably in his stomach, adrenal glad, and ureter. My grandparents are in Florida and the rest of the family is Illinois. Please pray for comfort and guidance as we try to work out the best treatment options which are limited since he's 85. Also keep my grandmother in your prayers as she'll need the strength to process all of this and care for him.
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Keeping your grandfather & grandmother in my prayers :(
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's stage 4 cancer in his esophagus, ureter, and lymph nodes. Without chemo he's got an estimated 3-6 months. He's going to try chemo which hopefully can extend is life for another year or more. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
J.K. Riki
Definitely keeping you all in my prayers. Cancer sucks, have had to deal with it in my family a number of times. Peace in this time and the coming months.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
He's sleeping a lot and eating very little. He's not in physical pain, but I believe he's depressed (can't really blame him). Too soon to tell if the chemo is working or not.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Got this update from my aunt who is visiting with her parent (my grandparents)
Eating a bit more- working the 8 ounces of Ensure (360 calories) into his routine so it's automatic to take. Evening half glass of milkshake is not a struggle since we started giving to him on Tuesday. Mom is weighing him every day- staying same weight so far, but that's better than weight loss. Put cards out for dad to play solitaire since he used to like it. He will play if you start it off for him, but I learned to let him play- as I told him he missed a card and he quit that game. An hour later I dealt cards again and let him be- and he played full game. Hoping he will pick up cards himself and play without being prompted. Keeping music on- once in a while you see him tapping his feet or moving his head to the beat. Little by little so feels he still is in control yet does not get frustrated. For mom- reminding her to give him lunch since they never ate lunch before. She has been reading the paper, she is telling him some main events she is reading. I encouraged her to do that daily.
Dad not complaining of pain, and up more. Expect him to be wiped out at least 4-5 days after chemo.
So, both mom & dad need to get into a new routine to deal with cancer and also try to some things they used to do prior to the diagnosis- like watch their favorite TV programs and make sure they give a good morning and good night kiss.
Prayers for all of us to keep strong
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Still praying
WisteriaWillows
Noob
Noob
Thank-you for the update. It's easier to pray when we are able to be specific.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
thanks for the continued prayers
WisteriaWillows
Noob
Noob
Still praying ...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Got this update from my grandma:
He had his dr. visit and chemo today --- doing as well as can be expected, but no enthusiasm for anything,
gained weight 153 from 148 before, so shakes doing their job -- complains of back pain, but that could
be from the stenosis or arthritis and also the cancer, --- can't have anything hot or cold for 5 days after chemo,
throat could feel like it's closing up, so everything at room temp -- still some anemic but not anything to be
concerned about, and no need for transfusion - hemoglobin 9.2 plat lets no change, again no concern -
Sees dr. and has blood work and chemo May 31. Is tired.

Doing what we can and hope it helps ---
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We had a nice visit with my grandpa. Jay got him up and out of the house by challenging him to a few games of pool. The weather wasn't that great while there but we still had fun and got to splash around in their town's pool for a bit. I won't know how chemo is working until the end of next month. Thanks for the prayers everyone!
J.K. Riki
Thanks for the update! Great that you were able to get him up and about, that makes such a difference to healing and mental well being, but it's so hard to do on your own.
Nick Neils
Noob
Noob
Let you grandpa get well soon. Will surely remember him and the whole family in prayers...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Encouraging results from the doctor visit. Some lymph nodes in the stomach have shrunk; the pelvic area is the same; lesions in the stomach are significantly better. Plans are to continue the same routine with the same chemo agent and get a scan again in 3 months. Will start chemo on Monday. Would have done it today but doctor decided to wait due to his problem with the shoulder and wrist. Currently across the street getting an x-ray of the shoulder.