Getting finances (and temper) under control

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
As the topic suggests, I can use some prayer to get our finances in order after taking several big hits lately (bathroom re-model due to mold, $2000 life insurance dues (now to be taken out monthly) Christmas and birthday expenses and so on.

The long and the short of it that I have $57 in my checking account and $2500 in unpaid bills. (nothing is late mind you) but I've been pretty uptight with money and short on temper when it comes to just random stupid stuff. (today my kids wasted a roll of toilet paper that dropped into toilet, half a bottle of hand soap spilled and gone, my daughter opening an letter instead of mailing it thus wasting a stamp, and lets not forget me chewing off my hubby's head for wanting to buy FFVIII on steam for $8 instead of playing the PC or PS1 versions we ALREADY own)

So basically my temper gets short when money gets tight. Tithing isn't going to be an option unless God provides a way. I feel bad about that.

I've been looking for means of steady sidework (computer and website jobs pay great but are few and far between) my options are extremely limited given my kids' school schedule. Jay doesn't want me working during the day since I should be home with kids, I understand. I've been applying to various jobs and am looking for weekend and possible evening work. Jay doesn't want me gone on the weekends but I see no other way to be able to afford several home improvements including replacing the original 20 yr old (fridge, stove and carpet)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
That's a real bummer, I'll be praying for you.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
thanks
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Financial struggles are really tough. I get the same way when situations got tight; I stress out a lot and am apt to snap at my wife.

Good luck with your prospects of a side job; it's not easy, but it's always better to be busy than broke. As with all things, this too shall pass.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
brandon1984
Gamer
Gamer
Sounds very frustrating! Let us know if we can help out in any way.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
brandon1984 wrote:Sounds very frustrating! Let us know if we can help out in any way.
Spot on, Brandon!
If there is any way we can help, from services to funding costs for the site, let us know, Cheryl.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks guys, I appreciate the offers.

Jay gets paid tomorrow so that's good, but I know there won't be much left over after paying everything off, if everything isn't paid off, then I'll be scrambling a bit.

Yesterday I had the joy of discovering a recurring charge on my credit card after helping my brother-in-law start his LLC using legal zoom. Hopefully that gets resolved today, they won't remove MY credit card from HIS account.

As for the site, I already told the Minecraft users that unless the higher internet speed is being utilized AND covered financially I'm dropping my internet speeds back to the way they were. We've raised $25 of the $60 goal this month. My website hosting bill doesn't come til February or March. We should be back on track by then. Hoping that we get a decent tax return to build our savings back up a bit. Time will tell.

I may be doing some freelance writing for an online newspaper, I have to submit some sample stories based on current events, but they already enrolled me in a free seminar later this month. Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing we'll see. :)

The short term goal is to stay out of debt, but I still need to figure out a way to finance pending appliance and carpet replacements. It's great having an old carpet, I'm don't fret if someone spills or tracks dirt on it but once it rips, I need it replaced (it's slightly fraying by the edge of my utility room door). My fridge has a shelf that gives way almost once a day. It's a random 52 pickup game except with dressings and sauces. My oven's handle is being held together by non factory screws and is missing pieces and some functionality. The stove and range still work though. Our microwave is as old as me (yikes!). Opening it requires knowing a trick which prevents the kids from using it (pluses and minuses). All of this stuff still functions but has definitely seen better days.

Oh and we need some savings cushion in case our 2002 minivan with 85K miles (pretty low given the year) bites the dust. We hate car payments so we're driving this baby into the dirt.

So that's our situation in a nutshell. Jay makes great money, but except for the microwave, the rest of those items are relatively pricey to replace. The biggest ticket item will be going from carpet to hard wood. Our main floor is hardwood and I would like the rest of the house (except for the basement) to follow suit.

If anyone (especially minecraft users) is reading this and would like to help the site, there are donation buttons on the main site and minecraft site Thanks everyone for your support and listening to my rambling.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well here's an update (more rambling to ensue!)

Thanks to those who have sent in donations, they are VERY much appreciated. Especially after I found out that Jay's paychecks are now going to be $150 less due to increased healthcare costs. We're stuck in the current plan until October...joy! To look on the bright side of this new expense, Jay is having some (assuming) carpal tunnel issues and they should be addressed soon and better insurance will come in handy for that no doubt.

I was greeted this morning to a cool house. Ten degrees cooler to be exact. After spending 95% of Jay's paycheck that we got today, I can't afford a service call for our four year old furnace. Every year something breaks on this stupid thing. Lesson learned, Don't replace a perfectly working old furnace for an energy efficient one. They don't make them like they used to!! The good news is that I have a handy neighbor and we got it up and running after buying a $29 part. I paid him in some meat I got 50% at a closing grocery store :). Yeah heat!

While I still have some lingering bills, they can wait until Jay's next paycheck. It's good to not have $2500 in credit card charges hovering over us anymore.

Also I have some computer side work tomorrow, so that helps too. Thinks are slowly looking up but this has definitely been quite the rollercoaster.
Cantore
First of all, thanks for the updates and honesty. Secondly, I don't think there's too many people here who can't empathize or even sympathize with what you're going through. When I had over $10k lawyer fees, mortgage, bills, and the heafty Canadian property tax bill of about $650, and no job... all I could seriously do is this:

1) Freak out (hey, I'm honestly human LOL)
2) Get an attitude change that God does care about our needs
3) Get advise from someone wiser than myself about what to do.
4) Wait on God --> This was the hardest one, but really put peace in the turmoil when all you can do to control the situation is nothing but trust Him that you'll make it through with a good lesson learned, and a revelation of God's faithfulness to us to walk through it with us with that peaceful, comforting love that we can't explain in words... like knowing everything is ok without knowing the outcome.

Maybe this applies to you in some way, but either way... I'm praying for you too.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the prayers. $650 in property tax? That's it? My property taxes are $7,000/yr. :( When we moved in they were $4600/yr. :evil:

What were the lawyer fees for?

Your job stuff going okay?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in, but a co-worker turned me onto this site that his wife started using to keep her busy during retirement and some cash on the side.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People post tasks they need/want done and offer money to those who'll do it. Some of it can be virtual, like data entry, etc. Thought maybe I'd mention it in case you or anybody else would be interested.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Neat site, thanks for the heads up :)
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Have You guys tried looking Dave Ramsey's financial peace program? He's a Christian man that helps people get out of debt and get their money in order, you can buy a course, program thingy from his online website. They work EXTREMELY well, my father used to work for him when we lived down in the southern states. His approach to money and getting out of debt is very good and Biblical. I would highly recommend it if you're having financial issues. :D
This is my signature
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the info. We're above water again and after Jay's next paycheck we should have enough left over to replenish our savings a bit. Tax return will help a bit too. :)
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Great news!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.