Prayer Request: Reconstructive Foot Surgery

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Stitches came out yesterday. My foot doesn't look that bad without it because the 5th toe seems to be migrating inwards. There's a reason for that but I won't get into it. But as a result of this migration, it forced the 4th toe, which was already fused, upwards causing the problem in the first place.

I asked my doctor about proceeding with the next operation to my right foot but he said no. The toe amputation isn't finished yet. I return at the end of March for a final eval on that.

Phantom pain comes and goes with the worst being last Wednesday. But I'm good. No complaints. My left foot feels better in a shoe. This was the right decision. Severe chronic pain remains in both feet but I accept it. It would literally take a miracle from God to eliminate it. I resumed physical therapy on my own at home about 10 days ago. I'll wait a week to return to the clinic though.

Thank you for the prayers,
Ed
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the update, let us know what they say in March. Praying for you.
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Well today is actually one year since my left foot was reconstructed. Time for an update for both feet.

The left foot is doing well even with the toe amputation back in February. There is a difference when I place weight on the foot as I'm walking slightly flatter now. But it's only been in the past month, that I've felt this as each time I placed weight on the foot, it felt awkward especially in the heel. Phantom pain from the amputated toe remains intermittent. I find that stress will usually bring it out.

Now for the right foot. I've written about it before here of this new "bone pain" that surfaced after the foot was reconstructed back in July 2013. This bone pain continues to get worse. Nowadays, I don't even have to be standing or walking for it to throb. But walking & standing makes it worse :) Another foot reconstruction was confirmed back in March. 3 procedures are needed:

- fuse the navicular bone to the cuneiforms (cuneiforms already have screws in them)
- realign the foot by shifting part of the heel outwards (same procedure performed to my left heel)
- realign the big toe

The procedure involves both my orthopedic surgeon and plastic surgeon again. This skin graft as well as the muscle underneath needs to be "lifted" in order to access the bones. It's a very complicated procedure and will be the 23rd operation to the right foot overall.

My feet continue to have severe chronic pain. Unfortunately my orthopedic surgeon saying that the operations would help alleviate the chronic pain actually made it worse. But I accept the chronic pain. It would take a miracle to be completely healed of it. It's all this bone pain that drives me to want this operation. Plus this bone pain occurs in the same location in the left foot as well but it's intermittent. At this point, I don't want my left foot operated on again.

I have a special prayer request today. Not for the actual operation, but to just get informed of a surgery date. I've been waiting 3 months. The hospital is having difficulty finding a surgery date where both surgeons are available on the same day. From past experience, to even be informed of the date, it's still 2 months in advance. It takes a year to recover from these operations as well and is very painful.

Here's a link to a collage of photos and x-rays of both feet. The right foot x-rays show the ongoing problems with it. The collage also displays the amount of swelling that continues.
Spoiler:
I am applying for a disability retirement. Just waiting for the documents to arrive in the mail. I know my feet, that severe chronic pain takes its toll daily. It zaps me of my energy and requires hours of rest for even a mere 20 minutes of standing or walking. A return to work is highly unlikely at this point. I know I'll need to jump through several hoops to get approved but I am hoping for it.

Thank you for your prayers thus far. It's unfortunate that this journey has not ended. However, my trust remains in the Lord. This year has been very difficult with the sudden deaths of family members as well as others. My faith remains strong.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the update. Praying that you get a scheduled date (and they keep it!) and that you'll be considered for disability. Please continue to keep us updated! Glad you're faith is still going strong. The Lord has a plan for all of this...
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Thanks to everyone for the prayers.

Another update:

I found out that my orthopedic surgeon went on emergency medical leave and will be out for 6-8 weeks. I asked if another surgeon could perform the operation and at this point, the answer is no since it's previously been operated numerous times. Both feet are very unique in the bone fusions and the type of skin graft on top of each that the original surgeons are required for the next operation. So it's a very long waiting game now. Longer than it's ever been before. My disability retirement application is also on hold because I need my orthopedic surgeon to complete the medical forms for it. Admittedly, I'm slightly upset but I'll get over it. I still do physical therapy at home 6 days a week with a heavy concentration on my legs, calves, and feet. But I know no matter how much I stay in shape, the chronic pain I have never improves and continues to get worse. I accept that though. This remains in God's hands.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
bummer on the wait, praying things move faster when the surgeon is back from leave
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Hi everyone,

I know it's been awhile since I updated my ongoing prayer thread here. I still have a lot of pain and the waiting for my next foot reconstruction never really justified providing an update. The good news is after waiting nearly 7 months, surgery is now set for December 2nd. Since the right foot has already been operated on numerous times previously, I believe my claims manager will raise an issue with another operation. I foresee worker's compensation sending me to one of "their" doctors for an evaluation. I really do not want another delay. If it occurs, it would have to be before December 2nd. As I've provided updates here in the past, my right foot didn't heal right. It has more pain even and will throb even when I'm not standing or walking. Please pray there are no further delays. Thank you, Ed
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Praying, thanks for the update.
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Hate to say it but my foot surgery on December 2nd has been postponed for at least 3 months. The reason is due to the prescription medication I took for the sudden hearing loss in my left ear. The steroids had an adverse effect on my blood sugars. It spiked them so high that my orthopedic surgeon said it would be too risky to operate due to the possibility of the bone fusions failing as well as overall non-healing of the foot. I had a CT scan for my left ear earlier today and have a hearing test on Wednesday. I'll have an update on my left ear later this week. Thanks for the support and prayers.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
sorry for the postponement but better postponed than ineffective. Let us know how the hearing test goes! Still praying.
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Another update with bad news again.

The next foot operation was tentatively scheduled for February 3rd but it was dependent on another diabetes blood test. It's called an A1C test which test at how well you're controlling your diabetes over a 3 month period. Since December I'd been seeing good blood sugar numbers ranging from 80-150. But my family doctor warned I'd still be on the tailend of the steroid I had to take back in November, which consequently skyrocketed my blood sugars forcing the cancellation of the December 2nd operation. I was still confident I'd get a good number.

Last Wednesday I took the blood test. Funny thing about confidence; it can get shattered in an instant. My family doctor was correct. The A1C test included the November blood sugar readings as well which resulted at 8%, which is high. When I faxed the result to my orthopedic surgeon on Thursday, I knew full well that the February 3rd operation would be postponed again. On Friday I spoke to the orthopedic clinic's patient care coordinator who confirmed my suspicions. The clinic's policy for diabetics is the A1C test needs to be below 7%. In all the other foot operations I've had in the past, the A1C tests have been below this mark. Nevertheless, I pleaded my case stating that I'm keen on controlling my diabetes as well as offering to show my blood sugar reading over the past 6 weeks. The answer was still no because they only go by the A1C test. My surgeon knows the pending surgery is an urgent matter but it's not an emergency nor is it traumatic. And in my mind I'm thinking, "Try walking with my feet. Each and every step is an effort always accompanied by some type of pain, whether from the bones or chronic."

Admittedly I was very angry and frustrated on Friday. Not at my doctor or anyone else but at the situation and the unfortunate timing of my ear problems that suddenly appeared 6 weeks before that December 2nd operation. I was at a panic at trying to figure what was wrong with my left ear and wondering if I'd completely lose hearing. The steroid, Prednisone was the only available option. And while it did improve my hearing, it had such an adverse effect on my blood sugars.

I've spent the last couple days deep in prayer while listening to Christian music (normally it's either Christian or 80s). I'm no longer angry or even frustrated. I'm at ease again. I'll stay the course and continue to control my diabetes with diet and exercise. I'll take the A1C test again in 6 weeks then 1 month after that. I suggested to schedule the next operation 3 months from now, however. That way I should be far clear of the steroid.

During my morning Bible reading today, Psalm 13 really stood out:

How long, Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in Your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in Your salvation.
I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for He has been good to me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sorry about the test results and the postponed surgery :( Glad the music has brought you pace and the Bible study conviction, funny how God speaks to us when we need Him the most :)
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Hi everyone, I have a small update.

There has been no new surgery date yet. And now's there's been a minor setback.

But first this: about a week prior the postponed February 3rd surgery date, I began having a bad case of insomnia. I accepted the diabetes issue, postponement, and continued to work controlling my blood sugars as well as daily physical therapy. Internally, there's been a lot of stress with my diet, physical therapy, foot pain and family needs. This is the only thing I can think of that's causing the insomnia. At first, I'd get about 3 hours of sleep and sleep for 8 hours the next day. I never sleep during the day. For the past week, I'm getting 2-3 hours of sleep daily. During the day, I'm wide awake. I also take a "cocktail" at night usually consisting of sleeping pills, pain meds & sometimes Benadryl (to help counter periodic itching from the pain meds). I have a limit on the amount which I won't go over for fear of an overdose. It still takes awhile to get to sleep and I wake up after 2-3 hours. There's a lot on my mind :(

Now for the setback: About 7 weeks ago, I was doing rotator cuff exercises during physical therapy. The next day, I noticed I aggravated the tendinitis in my right elbow. I originally injured this back in 2003. It has continued to flare up over the years. This time around though, no matter what I did, the tendinitis was getting worse. I saw a doctor yesterday who recommended 2 options: a cortisone shot or surgery to remove the inflamed tissues (since it's chronic). Naturally I opted for the cortisone shot because recovering from this type of surgery takes 3-6 months. And if I happen to get my foot operation in that time, I couldn't use crutches forcing the use of a wheelchair, which I will never use again. When the doctor was inserting the needle into my elbow, a small part of me was thinking, "Hmm, cortisone is a steroid. That Prednisone taken for my hearing issue is a steroid too, and that's what caused the postponement of the next 2 rescheduled operations. Well we'll wait and see if it affects my blood sugars." This morning after getting 2 hours of sleep, my blood sugar was 239, which is very high. Prior to this, my blood sugars ranged from 120 to 140, which for the A1C averages to 5.8% to 6.5%. That's well below the 7% I need to get the foot operation.

I spoke to a nurse this morning about how long the cortisone will stay in my body. She said anywhere from a couple days to a week. In that time, my blood sugars will once again skyrocket. She advised to take the next A1C test in mid-April. I originally planned to take it in mid-March. Like I said, I still don't have a surgery date, but obviously this pushes it back further if the hospital were to call for a surgery date before mid-April.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the coast to go on a 9-day retreat in hopes that I can clear my mind, relax and reset my sleep pattern. I'm taking minimal electronics with minimal wifi capabilities. I just want to read, write, pray and take walks on the beach, foot pain and all.

Thanks to everyone for the continued prayers. Without your prayers and my faith and trust in the Lord, I'd be in a worse state of mind.
-Ed
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the update and I'm to hear about the pain and lack of sleep. :( I will be praying for you. Enjoy your trip!
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
I apologize for not updating sooner. The retreat to the coast did work. I was able to relax and reset my sleep patterns. Since then I've been getting between 4-8 hours of sleep each night. Thank you for the prayers.

The cortisone shot's effect for my blood sugars lasted for about nine days. I was hoping the hospital wouldn't call for a new surgery date but they did. It's now set for April 27 pending a new blood test. Since the failed A1C test back in January, I've been more strict than ever in my eating habits. Even with the high blood sugars caused by the cortisone shot, overall I'm seeing a good average score for my blood sugars.

In looking back over the past year in trying to get my blood sugars lowered, I realized a mistake I made. I relied on myself to maintain control of my diabetes. I did not give this to God. In fact I was so confident for that January blood test that I only asked a few people to pray for me. I realize now that this is not what the Lord wants. He wants you to give Him your entire life; not what you pick and choose for Him. I humbly bow before my Creator for help. Like I said, I've been very strict on my diet & have not cheated in a very long time. But in addition to my daily prayers, I now pray for help to control these blood sugars.

In my right foot, it's now about 2.5 years since I began placing weight on the foot again after the operation in July of 2013. The pain I have in this specific location in the foot has never improved. It'll even throb when I'm sitting down and obviously, placing weight on the foot makes it worse. No one knows this next part: in 2014 & 2015, I spent about $2000 on foot massage and acupuncture treatments in attempts to bring relief. These treatments never helped.

I'm really hoping I can get this operation next month. Next Friday, on April 1, I'm scheduled to take the next A1C blood test. I humbly ask for your prayers to get the A1C result below 7% thereby clearing the way for the operation. The reason I am asking this now is I'm leaving for California later today to be with family members for the anniversary of my nephew's passing, which is on Monday. On Thursday evening, I'll return then need to wake up early in the morning to take the blood test. I should know the results on the following Monday.

Above all else, I know this is in the Lord's hands and I am very thankful for the continuing prayers.
-Ed