Family lets 5 year old child decide heaven or hospital

This is the place for mature and civil discussions. Not for the faint of heart or weak in faith.

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

Re: Family lets 5 year old child decide heaven or hospital

Post by Bruce_Campbell »

I don't know, but I hope I'm never in that situation. :(
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!

Post by ccgr »

Yeah me neither, I wouldn't want any of my kids to be suffering and would try to consider their input in the quality of their life (or lack thereof)

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

Post by ArcticFox »

I don't think I'd take that approach.

a 5-year-old isn't equipped to make that decision. Period. T's the same reason I find the notion of child "transgenderism" so revolting. Kids that young don't understand things well enough to make choices. Newsflash: This is why we have parents to make our decisions for us until we're old enough to do so ourselves.

It sounds a little like the parents want to let her go but haven't got the courage to make the call themselves, so they're putting it on her. Maybe I missed it but did the article say anything about this child's long-term prognosis? If she's got a chance at a full life, then I see no justification for letting her go in the first place. She hates hospitals? Well welcome to the club. Here's another newsflash: Nobody goes to the hospital for fun. It's a tragedy that she's got this illness and it sucks royally that she has to keep going there, but I don't see that aversion to the hospital as being reason enough to let her die.

I have a feeling there's a lot more to it than what's in the article, so maybe if we knew more I'd feel differently.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Debates”